13-Year Old Palestinian Wounded by Israeli Forces in Kufur Qaddoum Protests

05 OCT
8:40 PM

During the weekly non-violent protest in Kufur Qaddoum village, in the northern part of the West Bank, 13 year old Khalid Murad Ishteiwi was hit by a rubber coated steel bullet, which lodged in his thigh. He was rushed to the Rafidiya Hospital, where he is in stable condition.

The attack on the weekly protests follows a similar attack last week in which Israeli forces wounded a three-month old baby. The baby was reportedly among several Palestinians injured by Israeli forces suppressing the weekly peaceful anti-settlement procession, on Friday September 28th, 2018.

And the previous month, an international supporter from Norway was shot while at a protest in Kufur Qaddoum.

Morad Eshteiwi, the Coordinator of the Popular Committee Against the Wall and Settlements in Kufur Qaddoum, told reporters from the Ma’an News Agency that Israeli forces raided the village before Friday prayers, to suppress the weekly march that takes place every Friday after noon prayers, for the past ten years.

In addition to the wounding of 13-year old Khalid, another youth was wounded in the hand by a rubber-coated steel bullet.

During the attack, Israeli forces invaded Palestinian homes in Kufur Qaddoum and occupied rooftops. There, they fired tear gas grenades and rubber-coated steel bullets into the village. Tear gas entered homes and yards, causing many residents to suffer from tear gas inhalation.

According to the Ma’an News Agency, the speaker for the Omar Bin al-Khattab Mosque in Kufur Qaddoum, Sheikh Abed al-Razzaq Amer, was abducted by Israeli forces along with his son Usayd.

The two were on their way to Friday prayers when their vehicle was seized and they were abducted.

The Israeli soldiers then used their vehicle to hide behind when Palestinian youth threw stones at them. This caused some dents to the vehicle.

Residents of Kafr Qaddoum began staging weekly protests in 2011, against Israeli land confiscations, as well as the closure of the village’s southern road by Israeli forces. The road, which has been closed for 14 years, is the main route to the nearby city of Nablus, the nearest economic center.

The army blocked off the road after expanding the illegal Israeli settlement of Kedumim, in 2003, forcing village residents to take a bypass road in order to travel to Nablus, which has extended the travel time to Nablus from 15 minutes to 40 minutes, according to Israeli rights group B’Tselem.

Addameer, a Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association, said that “Before 2003, the residents of Kafr Qaddoum would use a shorter road to the east in order to come and go to nearby cities and villages.”

Addameer added, “The only alternative road is roughly six times longer than the previous route, disrupting the villagers’ ability to attend university, jobs, and other vital aspects of their economic and social well-being.”

(Source / 06.10.2018)

35 Palestinian Children Detained in September

06 OCT
5:24 AM

The Prisoners and Ex-Prisoners’ Affairs Committee said that Israel detained 35 Palestinian children during September, and imposed on them fines exceeding $12,600.

The committee confirmed, on Thursday, that minors, who are younger than 18 years, were held at Ofer military camp, near Ramallah, of whom four were detained during night raids from their homes, 20 taken from the streets, seven detained at military checkpoints, three detained after being summoned and one for being in Israel without an entry permit.

Fourteen Palestinian minors were brutally beaten during their detention.

Twenty minors who were sentenced to prison terms ranging between 31 days and nine months and two were held in administrative detention without charge or trial.

The committee stressed, according to Ma’an, that the detention of minors is a violation of international law and the convention on children.

Defense for Children International reported that since 2000, at least 8,000 Palestinian children have been detained and prosecuted in an Israeli military detention system infamous for the systematic mistreatment and torture of Palestinian children.

The majority of Palestinian children are detained from their homes in the occupied West Bank during predawn raids by heavily armed Israeli soldiers.

Following their detention, children arrive at an interrogation center without an adult present, sleep deprived and often beaten. Israeli interrogations consist of physical and verbal abuse, forcing the children to confess to any crime Israel charges them with.
Most of the detained Palestinian children are charged with stone throwing.

According to prisoners rights group Addameer, there are 270 Palestinian child prisoners being held in Israeli prisons, of whom 50 are under the age of 16.

(Source / 06.10.2018)

Israel Threatens Gaza with War

Yahya Sinwar said another war in Gaza was not in anyone’s interest

Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman stated that his forces are ready to conduct a military operation against Gaza strip and bragged in killing Palestinian protesters at the border fence, posing a direct threat to Hamas.

“We got through the High Holy Days just as we had planned, without a war erupting and while exacting a heavy price from the rioters on the Gaza border,” Lieberman wrote on his Twitter account, Friday. “But the holidays are now behind us, and I tell the heads of Hamas: ‘Take that into account,” he added.

According to Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Abbas “has interfered in all UN attempts to ease the plight in Gaza.” “If Hamas thinks that as a result of this plight it can attack Israel – it will be making a very major mistake. Our response will be harsh, very harsh,” Netanyahu warned.

In an interview published in the Israeli daily Yedioth Ahronoth and the Italian La Repubblica, Hamas leader in the Gaza Strip Yehya al-Sinwar said that “it would be the fourth war. It can’t end as the third one, which already ended as the second one, which already ended as the first one. They should take over Gaza. I don’t think they want an additional two million Arabs. No. War achieves nothing.”

He added, “I am not the leader of a militia, I’m from Hamas. And that’s it. I am the Gaza leader of Hamas, of something much more complex than a militia—a national liberation movement. And my main duty is to act in the interest of my people: to defend it and its right to freedom and independence.”

Sinwar continued: “If we see Gaza returning to normalcy… if we see not only aid, but investments, development—because we are not beggars, we want to work, study, travel, like all of you, we want to live, and to stand on our own—if we start to see a difference, we can go on. And Hamas will do its best. But there is no security, no stability, neither here nor in the region, without freedom and justice. I don’t want the peace of the graveyard.”

“First of all, I never went to war—war came to me. And my question, in all truth, is the opposite. Why should I trust them? They left Gaza in 2005, and they simply reshaped the occupation. They were inside, now they block borders” he added.

“There is no future without Hamas. There is no possible deal whatsoever, because we are part and parcel of this society, even if we lose the next elections. My responsibility is to work with whoever can help us to end this deadly and unjust siege,” Sinwar continued.

(Source / 06.10.2018)