Israeli navy kidnaps two fishermen in Gaza waters

Fisherman kidnapped

Israeli naval forces on Saturday morning kidnapped two Palestinian fishermen off the northern shores of the Gaza Strip after opening fire at them.

A local committee documenting Israeli violations against fishermen said that Israeli gunboats opened fire at and intercepted a rowboat within two nautical miles from the northern coast of Gaza and rounded up two fishermen aboard it.

The detained fishermen are two brothers identified as Safwat and Rif’at Zayed.

Israeli gunboats are around Gaza fishermen almost every day, harassing them, shooting at them, damaging their boats, and making arrests. Sometimes fishermen are injured or killed during gunfire attacks.

Under the 1993 Oslo accords, Palestinian fishermen are permitted to fish up to 20 nautical miles off the coast of Gaza, but since then Israel has kept reducing the fishing area gradually to a limit of three nautical miles as part of its blockade on Gaza.

Fishermen and human rights groups also say that, since the 2008-09 war in Gaza, the Israeli army has been regularly enforcing a limit even closer to the shore.

(Source / 06.10.2018)

Palestinian youths throw fire bombs at Israeli forces in Azzun town

Palestinian Youth Azzun

A group of Palestinian young men on Friday night hurled Molotov cocktails at Israeli military patrols at the main entrance to Azzun town, east of Qalqilya in the occupied West Bank.

Local sources told the Palestinian Information Center (PIC) that the young men attacked soldiers blocking the main entrance to the town.

Consequently, the patrol vehicles stormed the town and spread through its streets, which triggered clashes with local youths.

(Source / 06.10.2018)

Israel persists in expanding settlement on annexed land in Deir Ballut

Annexed land Deir Ballut

Construction and bulldozing activities are proceeding apace on a vast tract of Palestinian land east of Deir Ballut town, west of Salfit, to expand the illegal settlement of Leshem.

Abdullah Idris, a local resident, said that the Israeli occupation authority (IOA) had annexed a large part of his land on the eastern side and embarked on bulldozing it despite his possession of documents proving his ownership of that land.

The municipality of Deir Ballut, for its part, said on its website that the structural plan to expand the town was halted on the eastern side after the IOA annexed it for the expansion of Leshem.

(Source / 06.10.2018)

FATHER OF MARTYR SURVIVES ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT

On Friday there was an attempt against the life of late Muhannad al-Halabi’s father in a mosque in the town of Sarda in the occupied West Bank’s Ramallah district.

A gunman or gunmen are said to have shot at Shafiq al-Halabi – according to one source with a gun that had a silencer attached to it – but Shafiq al-Halabi survived the attack. He had been sitting inside the mosque when someone from the outside had fired inside the mosque towards him.

Muhannad al-Halabi, aged 19, was slain on October 3rd 2015 by Israeli occupation forces in the Old City of occupied East Jerusalem after he killed two illegal Israeli settlers (one of them an occupation soldier) and wounded a third one.

After Muhannad’s death, both his parents and one of his brothers have been imprisoned and their family home in Surda destroyed as a collective punishment by Israeli occupation. Now Shafiq al-Halabi suspects that the Israeli occupation was behind the attempt made on his life.

(Source / 06.10.2018)

IOF killed three Palestinians, including a child, injured 376 others in Gaza protest

GAZA, PALESTINOW.COM — Three Palestinians were killed and hundreds injured on Friday when the Israeli occupation forces heavily opened fire at the Great March of Return protesters east of the Gaza Strip.

Israeli warplanes further launched two airstrikes on northern Gaza. Eyewitnesses told Quds Press that two Palestinian resistance posts were bombed with no injuries reported.

According to Gaza Ministry of Health, the martyrs are Fares al-Sirsawi, 12, Akram Abu Sam’an, 24, and Husein al-Raqeb, 20, and nearly 376 Palestinians were injured.

The Palestinian reporter said that thousands of Palestinian citizens rallied along the border fence between the Gaza Strip and the 1948 occupied Palestinian territories to take part in the protests of the 28th Friday of the Great March of Return.

Palestinian youths flew fire balloons over the border fence and burned dozens of car tires to block the view of Israeli snipers.

(Source / 06.10.2018)

Hamas downplays Lieberman’s threats

2 killed, 124 injured in Gaza protests

Hamas downplayed on Friday threats made by Israeli Defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman, stressing that the Great March of Return will continue.

Hamas spokesman Abdel-Latif Al-Qanou wrote on Twitter: “Threats of the Israeli Army’s Minister Avigdor Lieberman are empty. They will not scare our people”. He added: “Lieberman’s threats have become worthless compared to the will of our people to break the siege and continue the protests of the Great March of Return”.

READ: Germany ‘making efforts’ to reach calm in Gaza

Al-Qanou’s tweet came in response to a threat made by Lieberman yesterday in which the Defence Minister said the Jewish holidays had ended “without any escalation” but “a high price was paid due to the rioters along the Gaza borders”. He also called for Hamas leaders to “beware” now that the holidays were over.

On Thursday, Lieberman ordered the Israeli army to be on high alert and on Friday his chief of staff ordered full deployment of the Israeli army along the fence.

READ: Israel killed 15-year-old in Gaza

Israeli occupation forces have been violently cracking down on the Great March of Return, which started on March 30 and has called for an end to the 12-year-old Israeli siege of the Strip, as well as reinforcing the Palestinians’ right of return.

Since then, Israel has killed 195 protesters, including 31 children, and wounded more than 21,500 others, according to the Palestinian Ministry of Health.

112 Palestinians were killed in #Gaza by Israeli forces from 30th March to 15 May 2018

Read more: ow.ly/wwyF30k7j4A
MEMO infographic by The White Canvas

See more

(Source / 06.10.2018)

UNRWA concerned about Israel plan to stop its work in Jerusalem

Protest outside UNRWA after employees were to be forced in to retirement [Mohammed Asad/Middle East Monitor]

Protest outside UNRWA after employees were to be forced in to retirement

The UN Works and Relief Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) has expressed its concern about a statement made by Jerusalem’s mayor, Nir Barkat, that he would stop the organisation’s operations in the occupied city.

UNRWA’s statement, a copy of which was sent to MEMO, said: “UNRWA conducts humanitarian operations in conformity with the UN Charter, bilateral and multilateral agreements that continue to be in force, [as well as] relevant General Assembly resolutions”.

The statement added: “The Agency is specifically mandated by the UN General Assembly to deliver protection and assistance to Palestine refugees in the occupied Palestinian territory, including East Jerusalem, pending a resolution of the conflict between Israelis and Palestinians.”

It continued: “UNRWA has continuously maintained operations in the occupied Palestinian territory including East Jerusalem since 1967, with the cooperation and on the basis of a formal agreement with the State of Israel, which remains in force”.

“The Agency is recognized for the important work it carries out in education, health-care, relief and social services in East Jerusalem. It is determined to continue carrying out these services”.

READ: Israel settlers occupy buildings near Al-Aqsa Mosque

Yesterday Barkat, Israeli mayor of Jerusalem, accused UNRWA of “operating illegally and promoting incitement against Israel,” before confirming that UNRWA schools in the occupied city will be closed by the end of the current school year. As well as schools, clinics, sports centres and other services will also be transferred to the Israeli-controlled Jerusalem Municipality.

UNRWA said of Barkat’s statement: “Such messaging challenges the core principles of impartial and independent humanitarian action and does not reflect the robust and structured dialogue and interaction that UNRWA and the State of Israel have traditionally maintained.”

READ: UNRWA employees on strike in Gaza

(Source / 06.10.2018)

‘Gaza siege is only virtual’: Italian journalist who ‘Interviewed’ Hamas leader lacks credibility

Leader of Hamas in the Gaza Strip Yahya Sinwar (3rd R) and senior political leader of Hamas Ismail Haniyeh (4th R) attend the memorial ceremony held for Mazen Fuqaha, who was killed by unknown persons, in Gaza City, Gaza on March 27, 2017 [Mustafa Hassona / Anadolu Agency]

Leader of Hamas in the Gaza Strip Yahya Sinwar (3rd R) and senior political leader of Hamas Ismail Haniyeh (4th R) attend the memorial ceremony held for Mazen Fuqaha, who was killed by unknown persons, in Gaza City, Gaza on March 27, 2017

Italian journalist, Francesca Borri, has allegedly interviewed the top Hamas leader in Gaza,  Yahya Sinwar. However, Hamas sources accused Borri of lying about the nature of the interview. These sources told Al Jazeera, that the Italian journalist has merely taken photos with Sinwar and that the interview was conducted with his press office, via email.

Moreover, Hamas accused Borri of lying about where the interview was set to be published. However, instead of appearing in the Italian and British newspapers,  La Repubblica (where a version of the interview was in fact published) and the Guardian, she sold the interview to one of Israel’s most-read newspapers, Yedioth Ahronoth.

#EndGazaSiege

Borri, a little-known journalist must have known that publishing an interview with Hamas’ leader in an Israeli Hebrew newspaper, without the permission of the movement is not only a violation of journalistic standards but is a political act par excellence. Expectedly, Hamas went on the defensive, explaining that they have been lied to and that Sinwar’s interview was never intended for an Israeli audience.

View image on Twitter

The IMEU@theIMEU

2 Palestinians were killed by live Israeli fire during Great Return protests in the occupied Gaza strip today. 20,000 Palestinians came out to participate in the marches demanding an end to the siege and the right to return to their homes and land. https://www.haaretz.com/middle-east-news/palestinians/.premium-18-palestinians-injured-by-live-israeli-fire-at-gaza-border-protest-1.6531585 

However, some Palestinians, even those asymptotic to the movement, criticized Hamas for failing to do proper research before committing to foreign interviews, especially that Borri was in fact published in the same Israeli newspaper in the past.

The Palestine Chronicle translated excerpts of a previous article written by Borri following a visit to Gaza in 2015 and published in the Italian newspaper, L’Internazionale. Not only did Borri’s writing lacked credibility, but her language is reminiscent of a typical orientalist intellectual take on the Middle East – riddled with stereotyped and ignorant assertions.

READ: Hand over Gaza or ‘suffer the consequences’

In the article, Borri claimed that the Gaza siege is ‘virtual’ as in there is no siege on Gaza. She portrayed Palestinian men as corrupt and that the Gaza society lacks any political agency. What is one to make of Gaza’s ‘Great March of Return’, then, where sustained rallies involving all sectors of society and tens of thousands of men and women have protested the Israeli siege on the Strip since March 30?

View image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Great Return March@GreatReturnMa

Palestinians burn the tires during the in order to cover the protesters from being targeted by israeli terrorist snipers.

The text below will further illustrate the point:

“In Gaza, Everybody Wants to Escape”

L’Internazionale, July 15, 2015

“There is no point in telling him that I am not a Muslim, not even Palestinian, that I have typhoid fever so that the Quran would allow me to break the Ramadan fast.

“Actually, there is no point in talking to him in the first place: the Hamas policeman who keeps me in custody for three hours, only because I carry a bottle of water, has no uniform. I know he is from Hamas because I am in Gaza. There is no point in discussing with him: he doesn’t want to listen, he wants to impose.

“At the end, he pockets (takes a bribe) 100 dollars off the books and he lets me go.

“This is Hamas, today. They stand at the checkpoints with their flashlight, to make sure that the guy who’s driving is your father or your husband; that you are not smoking a cigarette or watching a TV match while drinking a beer.

“And they want to make sure that you don’t write anything against them.

“Hamas lost part of its generous friends from the Gulf, (who are) now more focused on Syria and Iraq; Iran is disappointed because they (Hamas leaders) didn’t support Syrian President (Bashar) Assad. So they try to collect more money by levying taxes. Gaza siege, today, is only virtual. You can actually find everything, even Nutella: and everything comes from Israel.

“I ask Sharif what’s his vision of Europe. He answers: “I want (to be in a place where I can) shower every morning.”

“Here (in Gaza), nobody supports Hamas. However, there is no political activity at all: “Nobody tries to change things anymore,” says M., one of the founders of the March 15 Movement, which in 2011 took the streets to ask for reforms and democracy, only to be beaten up by both Hamas in Gaza and Fatah in Ramallah, in a rare case of national unity.”

(Source / 06.10.2018)

Great March foiled ‘aggressive’ plan against Gaza

Great March of Return made people stand up against Israel and US instead of the planned ouster of Hamas

Senior Hamas leader Mahmoud Al-Zahar said Friday that protesters participating in the Great March of Return “undermined a hellish and aggressive plan prepared against Gaza.”

Al-Zahar claimed the plan consisted of “cutting salaries of the public servants, banning medicines and medical equipment from entering Gaza, halting support for the education and agriculture sectors.”

He added: “This was planned to be part of the deal of the century,” the name given to President Donald Trump’s impending peace initiative.

Al-Zahar stressed that these measures aimed to push Palestinians in the besieged Gaza Strip to “stand up against Hamas and the resistance programme.”

He emphasises: “The result was the opposite. Gaza residents took part in the Great Return March and strongly stood up against the Israeli occupation.”

In addition, Al-Zahar said: “All of those who accepted Trump’s plan and gave their money to him, to the Israeli occupation and its collaborators, will be part of the defeat”.

The Great March of Return has been ongoing since March and has claimed the lives of 195 Palestinians and left over 21,000 injured. Many of those injured suffocated from tear gas inhalation or were shot by live ammunition.

(Source / 06.10.2018)

Army Injures Five Palestinians In al-Biereh

06 OCT
2:35 AM

Israeli soldiers injured, Friday, five Palestinians, and caused several others to suffer the effects of teargas inhalation, after the army invaded al-Biereh city, in central West Bank, and attacked many protesters.

Media sources said the soldiers invaded Jabal at-Taweel area, east of al-Biereh, and shot a young man with live fire in his leg.

They added that the soldiers also assaulted a child, while standing in front of his home, causing many cuts and bruises.

The soldiers also fired a barrage of gas bombs and concussion grenades at the Palestinians in the al-Baloa’ area, and shot three young men with rubber-coated steel bullets.

Many Palestinians suffered the effects of teargas inhalation, and received the needed treatment.

Furthermore, the soldiers chased and attempted to abduct several young Palestinian men in the city.

(Source / 06.10.2018)