Palestinian hunger strike denied right to family visit in Israeli jail

On 18th day of hunger strike

Khader Adnan no visitors

The Israeli occupation authorities have banned the Palestinian prisoner Khader Adnan, on hunger strike for the 18th consecutive day, from being visited by his family members.

According to the Muhjat al-Quds Foundation, the Israeli occupation authorities prevent visits by lawyers and family members to Adnan Khader, who has been on an open-ended hunger strike to protest his arbitrary detention in Israeli dungeons.

Muhjat al-Quds group condemned the visit ban, which it said makes part of Israeli retaliatory measures and torture policies against Palestinian detainees.

(Source / 19.09.2018)

PPS: Female detainees in Hasharon continue to protest security cameras

Female detained Hasharon

The Palestinian Prisoner Society (PPS) said that the Palestinian women detained in Hasharon jail insist on not leaving their cells to take their daily walk in the main courtyard in protest at the reactivation of internal security cameras.

According to the PPS, the security cameras in Hasharon jail were covered several years ago after female prisoners protested their presence inside their sections.

However, recently the administration operated them again after a committee appointed by Israeli security minister Gilad Erdan visited the prison.

There are still 32 Palestinian women in Hasharon jail and 20 others in Damon.

(Source / 19.09.2018)

IOA closes Ibrahimi Mosque to Muslim worshipers

Ibrahimi Mosque al-Khalil

The Israeli occupation authority (IOA) on Wednesday closed the Ibrahimi Mosque in al-Khalil city before Muslim worshipers in order to allow Jewish settlers to  mark Yom Kippur at the Islamic holy site.

According to director of the Ibrahimi Mosque Sheikh Hafdhi Abu Asnaina, the IOA will also close the Mosque before Muslims next Tuesday and Wednesday to allow settlers to celebrate the Jewish holiday of Sukkot.

The Mosque will be closed for another Jewish occasion on October 27.

The Mosque had already been closed for the Jewish holiday of Yom Kippur last Sunday.

(Source / 19.09.2018)

Qatar ambassador visits field hospitals in Gaza

Qatari Ambassador Mohamed Al-Emadi holds a press conference in Al-Shifa Hospital, Gaza on February 19, 2018 [Middle East Monitor / Mohammed Asad]

Qatari Ambassador Mohamed Al-Emadi holds a press conference in Al-Shifa Hospital, Gaza on February 19, 2018

Qatar’s Ambassador to Palestine has visited the field hospitals established in the Gaza Strip by the Jordanian and Moroccan authorities, Alarab.qa reported on Tuesday.

Mohammed Al-Emadi met with officials and staff of the Jordanian military field hospital in Gaza before touring the facilities. During his visit, he hailed Jordan’s efforts to help the Palestinians in the besieged coastal territory. The ambassador also praised King Abdullah II for his overall support for the Palestinians and their cause.

A similar visit was made to the field hospital set up in Gaza by the Moroccan military. Al-Emadi thanked Morocco’s King Mohammed IV for his humanitarian efforts to help the Palestinians.

According to Alarab.qa, the visits were part of Qatar’s moves to strengthen relations with Jordan and Morocco.

READ: Qatar opens courts in Gaza

(Source / 19.09.2018)

Hamas: Fatah’s conditions make reconciliation impossible

Head of the Political Bureau of Hamas Ismail Haniyeh makes a speech during a conference on September 18, 2018 in Gaza City, Gaza

Fatah’s conditions “make reaching reconciliation very impossible”, the head of Hamas’ Political Bureau Ismail Haniyeh said yesterday.

Speaking at a conference to mark 30 years since the movement was launched, Haniyeh said Hamas “insists” the 11-year Israeli siege on the Gaza Strip must come to an end “without any political costs and not as part of the deal of the century or in return for disarming the Palestinian resistance”.

Hamas, he said, “is walking towards ending the siege and achieving reconciliation in two parallel tracks, but this was undermined by Fatah’s conditions which make reaching reconciliation very impossible.”

The movement is ready to go to Cairo along with all the Palestinians factions and on the basis that all of them would be partners in taking national decisions regarding the reconciliation.

He called on Palestinian factions to adopt a plan based on a number of strategies to save the Palestinian cause.

Among these strategies, he said, is “the continuous protection of the resistance, building a national Palestinian unity based on respecting partnership, adhering to Palestinian agreements, being opened to the whole world, international bodies and parties and working to end the Israeli siege imposed on Gaza.”

Haniyeh recognised that there could be political differences among the Palestinian factions but said Hamas “does not have any Palestinian enemies”.

READ: It’s clear the US and Israel favoured Abbas. It’s also clear he failed 

(Source / 19.09.2018)

Palestinians in Europe launch conference to discuss threats to Palestine

Palestinian protesters gather during clashes with Israeli security froces in a tent city protest where Palestinians demand the right to return to their homeland, on the occasion of the 70th anniversary of the "Nakba", and against U.S. embassy move to Jerusalem at Israel-Gaza border at the Israel-Gaza border, in al-Bureij in the center of Gaza Strip on 14 May, 2018 [Mahmoud Khattab/Apaimages]

Palestinian protests the right to return to their homeland, on the 70th anniversary of the Nakba in Gaza on 14 May, 2018

A group of Palestinian societies in Europe are planning to launch a comprehensive conference in Berlin on Sunday, a statement said.

The organisers called for all members of the Palestinian communities and organisations across Europe to participate in the conference.

The 11 Palestinian bodies which are organising the event also called for all the people who believe in the Palestinian right of return to participate in the conference.

According to the statement, this conference is going to be held “in light of the Palestinian reality which was exhausted by the internal division and in light of the liquidation projects aimed at abolishing the Palestinian cause, the foremost of which is the deal of the century.”

Four issues will be discussed at the conference including Palestinian refugees, their right of return, UNRWA and the Jewish national law.

The second is the Palestinian diaspora, while the third is Jerusalem, settlements, the Separation Wall and the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement and the fourth is the 11-year Israeli siege on Gaza and Palestinians prisoners.

READ: Arab MKs in Europe to lobby support against Israel’s ‘nation-state law’ 

(Source / 19.09.2018)

UNRWA staff in Gaza to strike

Last month, the US State Department said Washington would “no longer commit funding” to the UNRWA

UNRWA staff in the besieged Gaza Strip announced a nationwide strike starting Monday 24 September.

During a protest by UNRWA staff outside the agency’s headquarters, the head of the labour union, Amir Al-Mishal, emphasised the rights of refugees and staff and rejected US cuts to the humanitarian body.

“We went out today to say we are against reducing the UNRWA services to refugees and against compromising the security of any of the employees.”

Al-Mishal said the union had provided mediation to resolve the crisis and informed UNRWA’s management that workers are happy to exert efforts to resolve the dispute.

He called on President Mahmoud Abbas to intervene immediately and urgently to resolve the UNRWA crisis, for the government in Gaza to take on its role to achieve the rights of its people, and for the Commissioner-General of UNRWA to intervene quickly.

READ: Trump says he won’t give aid to Palestinians unless they agree to peace deal

Last month, the US State Department said Washington would “no longer commit funding” to the UNRWA.

The US had been UNRWA’s largest contributor by far, providing it with $350 million annually — roughly a quarter of the agency’s overall budget.

Established in 1949, UNRWA provides critical aid to Palestinian refugees in the blockaded Gaza Strip, the Israeli-occupied West Bank, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria.

(Source / 19.09.2018)

Saudi Arabia bans 300,000 Palestinians from Makkah

A prospective pilgrim woman prays as she waits to cross Rafah border crossing before moving forward to the Muslims’ Holiest city of Mecca of Saudi Arabia for making a pilgrimage, in Rafah, Gaza on 14 August, 2017

Saudi Arabia issued new directives banning up to 300,000 Palestinian refugees in Lebanon from performing pilgrimage, Alarab.qa reported yesterday.

Reporting the Palestinian Institution for Human Rights (Shahed), the Qatari news website said that Saudi Arabia stopped issuing visas for Palestinian refugees in Lebanon who do not hold a Palestinian Authority (PA) passport.

Shahed reported travel agents were informed by the Saudi embassy in Lebanon not to accept applications from Palestinians who do not have PA passports.

The rights group said it was worried about the “sudden” Saudi decision, calling on Kingdom to identify its reasons which have “dangerous consequences” on the Palestinian refugees and their future.

READ: Saudi refuses Hajj visas for Palestinian refugees in Jordan 

According to Alarab.qa, Shahed could not reach officials at the Saudi embassy in Lebanon to get information about the issue, but said the PA embassy in Beirut did not receive official directions in this regard.

Shahed said the move adds further burdens on Palestinian refugees as it restricts their freedom of movement and limits their chance of obtaining jobs in the Kingdom, in addition to preventing them from performing the Hajj.

It is worth mentioning that thousands of Palestinians, who hold Jordanian passports, were banned from applying for Hajj visas this year.

Palestinians in the Gaza Strip have been prevented from performing Umrah since the Egyptian military coup in 2013 saw the Rafah crossing on an almost permanent basis.

Does #Egypt trust Israelis more than Palestinians?

Read: http://ow.ly/WNAy30loGlO

#INFOGRAPHIC #Palestine #Gaza

(Source / 19.09.2018)

Israeli Soldiers Kill A Palestinian In Jerusalem After A Reported Stabbing Attempt

19 SEP
3:48 AM

Israeli soldiers killed, on Tuesday evening, a young Palestinian man in the al-Misrara area, in occupied East Jerusalem, after he reportedly attempted to stab soldiers.

The Palestinian has been identified as Mohammad Yousef Sha’ban Oleyyan, 26, from Qalandia refugee camp, north of occupied Jerusalem.

Eyewitnesses said that the soldiers kept Mohammad’s body on the ground for nearly three hours.

Eyewitnesses said the soldiers fired dozens of live rounds at the young man, repeatedly shooting him, while many bullets also struck a Palestinian store and a car several meters away.

They added that the soldiers closed the entire area and did not allow the Palestinians to enter it, but allowed Israeli colonialist settlers through, while dozens of additional soldiers and police officers were brought to the area and its surroundings.

Fateh movement issued a statement saying that Mohammad was one of its members in Qalandia refugee camp.

Prior to his death, Israeli soldiers killed four Palestinian civilians, including one child, without posing any threat of life of soldiers, in two crimes in the southern and northern parts of the Gaza Strip, the Palestinian Center for Human Rights has reported.

(Source / 19.09.2018)

Israeli Soldiers Cause Schoolchildren To Suffer Effects Of Teargas Inhalation In Hebron

19 SEP
9:51 AM

Israeli soldiers caused, on Wednesday morning, scores of schoolchildren to suffer the effects of teargas inhalation, after the army surrounded schools in southern Hebron, and attacked students protesting the invasion.

Media sources said the soldiers surrounded an-Nahda School for Boys, and Tareq Bin Ziad Secondary School, in the southern part of Hebron city.

Rawhi Zaro, the head of the an-Nahda School, said the soldiers stopped and provoked many students while trying to enter their school, leading to protests, before the army fired many gas bombs and concussion grenades.

He added that dozens of students, and residents in the area, suffered the effects of teargas inhalation, and received the needed treatment.

There are eleven schools in the southern area of Hebron city, and are subject to frequent Israeli military violations, including repeated invasions, while the students are constantly stropped, harassed and searched by the soldiers, and some of them are also taken prisoner.

(Source / 19.09.2018)