Israel killed 19 Palestinians and wounded 1,600 in August

The protest at the Gaza-Israel border yesterday resulted in 180 injured Palestinians from Israeli action

Israel’s occupation forces killed 19 Palestinians, including four children, and wounded 1,600 during August, Quds Press reported on Friday. The killings took place in the occupied West Bank, Gaza Strip and Jerusalem.

According to a report issued by the PLO’s Abdullah Al-Hourani Centre for Documentation and Studies, 17 Palestinians were killed in Gaza while they were taking part in the Great March of Return protests, one was killed in Israel itself and the other was killed in the West Bank.

Those who were wounded, it revealed, were targeted during the Gaza protests as well as the confrontations between unarmed Palestinians and heavily-armed Israeli forces in the West Bank.

Around 400 Palestinians were arrested by Israel last month, most of them in the West Bank. The Israelis also demolished 31 Palestinian-owned buildings and issued demolition orders for 39 others.

Meanwhile, the occupation authorities approved building permits for more than 1,000 housing units on illegal Jewish settlement and expropriated hundreds of dunams of Palestinian land.

The PLO report also documented dozens of attacks on Palestinians and their properties in the occupied West Bank by Israeli settlers. Three incidents involved cars being used as rams, and more than 600 olive and fruit trees were destroyed.

(Source / 01.09.2018)

Arab leaders ignore Palestine cause, claims Lieberman

Israeli Defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman [Υπουργείο Εξωτερικών/Twitter]

Israeli Defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman

Israel’s far-right Defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman revealed details on Friday of a series of meetings with Arab leaders whose countries do not have diplomatic relations with the Zionist state, Quds Press has reported. The meetings were apparently held in Tel Aviv over the past few years.

In an interview published by Yedioth Ahronoth, Lieberman said that the Arab leaders made secret visits to Israel for the meetings. He compared the progress of normalising ties with Arab states between 1996 and today. “We have passed three-quarters of the mission,” he said. The agendas included what he called “the real threats: Iran, Al-Qaeda and the terrorist Sunni movements.”

The Moldovan-born Lieberman said that the Arab leaders know what they can get from Israel, pointing to intelligence, expertise, technology and strategic cooperation. “I do not remember that the Arab leaders have ever highlighted the Palestine issue in their proposals,” he claimed, “not even as a first point, a second or a third.”

He noted that the Arab leaders maintain their relations with Israel as a secret because of the “deep gap” between them and their people regarding links with the occupation state.

According to Yedioth Ahronoth, although Lieberman pledged to assassinate Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh within 48 hours of becoming Defence Minister, he insists that there are different options on the table now. “There are two options: the IDF [Israel Defence Forces] can overthrow Hamas in Gaza, which means paying the price of taking control over the Strip, or it can lead Gaza’s residents to overthrow Hamas themselves. The second option guarantees much more stability.”

In conclusion, Lieberman explained that he does not believe in a truce with Hamas. If there is going to be such a deal, though, then it must include the issue of Israel’s missing and captured soldiers.

(Source / 01.09.2018)

Tension in Gilboa jail after forces assault prisoners

Gilboa jail

A state of high tension broke out on Friday between Palestinian prisoners and Israeli jailers in Gilboa prison after special forces violently raided cells and maltreated detainees.

According to the Hebrew media, the prisoners in the jail expressed their protest at the arbitrary raid on their cells by setting fire to mattresses and one room.

New reports added that the tension was running high in all sections of the prison and that all jailers were put on high alert.

(Source / 01.09.2018)

Hanini: Israeli court’s settlement legalizing a “dangerous step’

Abdul-Hakim Hanini

Senior Hamas official Abdul-Hakim Hanini has described the Israeli court decision to legitimize a new settlement outpost in western Ramallah as “a dangerous step paving the way for legalizing all outposts in the occupied West Bank.”

In press remarks on Friday, Hanini said that “the resistance option is the only means to deter the occupation, and curb its settlement expansion and its ongoing aggression against the Palestinian people and their land.”

The Hamas official also said that the Jerusalem district court’s decision in this regard and its claim that the settlers acted in good faith when they established their outpost, Mitzpe Kramim, on privately owned Palestinian land vindicated further that the Israeli judicial system has no legitimacy.

(Source / 01.09.2018)

In video – Palestinian child forced to climb her way home

Girl tries to go home

HEBRON (Ma’an) — An Israeli activist and spokesperson of the Breaking the Silence Non-Governmental Organization, Achiya Schats, captured on video the moment a Palestinian child was forced to climb an Israeli military fence to be able to go home in the southern occupied West Bank city of Hebron.Schatz shared the video on his Twitter account captioning it in Hebrew with what translates to “a girl tries to go home, just like yours, except that she was born in Hebron.”The caption also reads that the girl’s house was recently blockaded by a fence and that Israeli forces locked the gate leading to her home, which forces Palestinian residents to climb the fence.”Don’t worry, it’s not because we’ve made them less than humans, it’s about security.”

(Source / 01.09.2018)

‘Hamas’ Threatens Military Escalation Should Gaza Siege Prolong

Hamas leader Ismail Haniyeh (R) and Hamas Gaza Chief Yahya Al-Sinwar attend a ceremony announcing a new policy document, in Gaza City May 1, 2017

“Hamas” and its offshoots threatened to opt for military escalation should Israeli forces continue with the siege imposed on the Gaza Strip and the Israeli government carry on dodging truce making.

More so, Hamas demanded opening Gaza border crossings and building both an airport and a seaport.

Hamas political leader Yahya Sinwar, despite expectations of a truce soon being made, threatened that the Gaza-ruling group could cause sirens to go off in the Gush Dan region in central Israel for six months in a row, and clarified that it is not interested in a military confrontation, but is also not afraid of one.

“What the resistance launched in 51 days in the last war, it can launch in five minutes during any [future] Israel aggression,” he said, referring to the 2014 conflict.

Sinwar stressed that Hamas would not allow for the siege to continue and that Gaza residents must no longer endure difficult living conditions.

He renewed Hamas leaders’ commitment to a political truce, saying that his movement is not looking for a state in Gaza, and that it dejectedly accepts a Palestinian state built on the 1967 border in support of Palestinian national consensus.

Sinwar’s representative Khalil al-Hayya told journalists that Hamas is determined to lift the siege and that it wants a port connecting Gaza directly to the world, like other countries.

He accused Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas of intransigence in his positions on lifting the siege.

Hayya stressed that if Egyptian and United Nations mediation efforts fail, Hamas will continue its resistance until the siege is lifted.

Statements made by Hamas leaders show that the group is suffering from accusations launched by the West Bank ruling party, Fatah, on Hamas harboring separatist ambitions.

Hamas held a series of consultations with various Hamas-affiliated Palestinian factions in order to unify Gaza’s position.

Factions stressed that they will not hesitate to fight the battle to break the siege by all means possible in order to alleviate the suffering of the enclave.

(Source / 01.09.2018)

240 Palestinians wounded by Israeli forces at Gaza protest

GAZA, PALESTINOW.COM — At least 240 Palestinians were injured by live bullets or sustained suffocation from teargas inhalation on Friday as Israeli forces attacked the Great March of Return protests at Gaza border, according to the Palestinian Ministry of Health.

A 10-year-old child and a volunteer paramedic were among the injured persons, the ministry added.

The Israeli forces started firing live bullets and rubber-coated steel rounds as thousands of protesters gathered along the border.

Earlier Friday, the Supreme National Authority for the Great Return March and Breaking the Siege called for “active and decisive” in today’s protests, pointing out that this Friday march came to support the Palestinian people’s adherence to their right of return.

More than 171 Palestinians have been killed and 18,000 others were injured since the outbreak of the Gaza border protests on March 30. The protests call for ending the 12-year-long Israeli blockade of Gaza and for the right of return of the refugees

(Source / 01.09.2018)

Israeli Soldiers Injure A Child In Ni’lin

01 SEP
2:56 AM

Israeli soldiers injured, Friday, a child, only 12 years of age, with a concussion grenade in his head, during the weekly nonviolent procession against the Annexation Wall and Colonies, in Ni’lin village, west of the central West Bank city of Ramallah.

Dozens of Palestinians, accompanied by Israeli and international peace activists, held the weekly procession in the village, and headed towards the Palestinian orchards isolated behind the illegal Annexation Wall.

Israeli soldiers resorted to the excessive use of force and fired many gas bombs and concussion grenades at the nonviolent protesters, wounding a child with a concussion grenade in the head.

Furthermore, Rateb Abu Rahma, the coordinator of the Popular Committee against the Wall And Colonies in nearby Bil’in village, called for ongoing nonviolent processions against the Wall and colonies, and for massive participation in the processions taking place in the village of Ras Karkar, Kafr Ni’ma and Kharbatha al-Misbah, to foil an Israeli plan to build an illegal colony in ar-Reesan Palestinian Mountain, after colonialist settlers installed an outpost.

The mountain is located strategic area overlooking large areas of Palestinian communities, lands and orchards, and Israel is trying to confiscate it for its illegal colonialist activities.

(Source / 01.09.2018)

PCHR: “Army Injures 75 Civilians, Including 16 Children, 1 Journalist And Two Paramedics, In Gaza”

01 SEP
3:08 AM

Israeli Forces Continue their Crimes in Eastern Gaza Strip, wounding 75 Civilians, Including 16 Children, Journalist and 2 Paramedics; One of them Female Paramedic Sustained Serious Wounds

Date: 31 August 2018Time: 18:30 GMT

On Friday, 31 August 2018,  using excessive lethal force against the peaceful protesters in eastern Gaza Strip, Israeli forces wounded 75 civilians, including 16 children, a journalist and 2 paramedics; one of them was a female paramedic who sustained serious wounds, after hitting them with live bullets and direct tear gas canisters. Two of those wounded sustained serious wounds.

Moreover, dozens of civilians suffered tear gas inhalation, despite the decrease in the number of demonstrators for the 23rd Friday in a row. During this week, the Israeli forces continued to target medical personnel working in the field.

Moreover, an ambulance sustained damage after directly targeting it in eastern Jabalia, indicating that there is a systematic Israeli policy to target medical personnel and obstruct their humanitarian work, which is protected under the rules of international humanitarian law.

The Israeli forces used upon highest military and political echelons excessive force against the peaceful demonstrators who posed no threat to the life of Israeli soldiers.

The following table shows number of Civilian casualties due to the Israeli suppression of the Return Demonstrations Since 30 of March:

Causalities Total Children Women Journalists Paramedics Notes
Deaths 130 23 1 2 3 Among those Killed, there are 3 Persons with Disabilities and a female child
Injuries 6885 1175 206 79 105 Among those wounded, 424 are in serious condition and 69 persons’ lower or upper limbs were amputated. Statistics of the injured only include those directly hit with bullets and tear gas canisters as there are thousands others  suffered tear gas inhalation and sustained bruises.

Investigations and observations by PCHR’s fieldworkers emphasize that the demonstrations were as always fully peaceful and  PCHR’s fieldworkers did not witness weapons or armed persons whereas Israeli forces’ snipers continued to position on the hills, behind the sand barriers and in military jeeps along the border fence.

The incidents today, 31 August 2018, were as follows:

At approximately 16:30, thousands of civilians, including women, children and entire families, started swarming to 5 encampments established by the Supreme National Authority for the Great March of Return and Breaking Siege along the border fence, east of the Gaza Strip’s governorates.

They raised flags, and chanted slogans and national songs in addition to flying kites and firing balloons, while hundreds of them, including children and women, approached the border fence, set fire to tires and attempted to throw stones at the Israeli forces. The participants were present around 300 meters away from the main border fence.

The Israeli shooting, which continued until 19:30, resulted in the injury of 75 civilians, including 16 children, a journalist and 2 paramedics after hitting them with live bullets and direct tear gas canisters. The wounded paramedics were identified as:

  1. Shorouq Fawzi ‘Ali Abu Hussain (Abu Musameh), 21, a volunteer paramedic with al-Hatay medical team, who was hit with a live bullet that entered the chest and exited the back in Rafah.
  2.  Mo’een Ibrahim ‘Abdullah al-Masri (43), a volunteer paramedic with the Palestine Red Crescent Society (PRCS), who was hit with a tear gas canister to the right waist in eastern Jabalia.

In addition, dozens of civilians suffered tear gas inhalation and seizures after tear gas canisters were heavily fired by the Israeli soldiers stationed in military vehicles and by drones hovering over the protesters in the eastern Gaza Strip.

PCHR hereby condemns these crimes committed by the Israeli forces, believing it is as a result of Israel’s enjoying impunity thanks to the U.S. and so encouraging the Israeli forces to commit further crimes upon an official decision by the highest military and political echelons.

PCHR emphasizes that continuously inflicting casualties, either killed or wounded, is unjustified and targeting and killing civilians, who exercise their right to peaceful assembly or while carrying out their humanitarian duty, using lethal force is a serious violation of the rules of intentional law and international humanitarian law.

PCHR also stresses that this ongoing policy by Israel violates the Rome STATUTE OF THE INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT (ICC) and Fourth Geneva Convention, and its practices qualify to war crimes.

Thus, PCHR calls upon the ICC Prosecutor to open an official investigation into these crimes in addition to prosecuting and holding accountable all of those involved in issuing decisions and orders in the Israeli forces at the political and security level and those applying the orders.

PCHR also reiterates its call upon the High Contracting Parties to the 1949 Fourth Geneva Convention to fulfill their obligations under Article 1; i.e., to respect and ensure respect for the Convention in all circumstances and their obligations under Article 146 to prosecute persons alleged to commit grave breaches of the Fourth Geneva Convention.

PCHR calls upon Switzerland, in its capacity as the Depository State for the Convention, to demand the High Contracting Parties to convene a meeting and ensure Israel’s respect for this Convention, noting that these grave breaches constitute war crimes under Article 147 of the same Convention and Protocol (I) Additional to the Geneva Conventions regarding the guarantee of Palestinian civilians’ right to protection in the occupied territories

(Source / 01.09.2018)