Wife of Palestinian MP arrested by Israeli forces

Nisreen Dawiyat

The Israeli occupation forces at daybreak Thursday arrested Nisreen Dawiyat, the wife of the Palestinian MP Ahmad Atoun.

MP Ahmad Atoun told a PIC news correspondent that Israeli policemen stormed the family home in Sur Baher, in Occupied Jerusalem, and arrested his wife. No reasons were given for her arbitrary abduction.

The arrestee is a mother of five youngsters. Her husband lives in Ramallah after the Israeli occupation authorities forcibly deported him from Occupied Jerusalem.

Atoun was arrested five times by the Israeli forces. His sons Mujahed and Mohamed were also detained on several occasions.

(Source / 16.08.2018)

Palestinian journalists being ‘tortured’ in Israel jails

Palestinian writer Lama Khater [Al Jazeera English/Twitter]

Palestinian writer Lama Khater

Female Palestinian journalist, Lama Khater, has said that she is being exposed to “torture” by Israeli interrogators who are attempting to get “baseless confessions” from her, Felesteenreported yesterday.

A lawyer from the Palestinian Prisoners’ Club (PPC) who visited Khater said: “Interrogators threaten to arrest relatives if she does not confess.” Khater did not give in to the pressure, the lawyer added.

The journalist spends all the time in jail sitting on a small chair, handcuffed and with her legs-chained in the investigation room. She is not allowed to leave except to go to the toilet.

The PPC stressed the 42-year-old mother had been subjected to “harsh and continuous” interrogation from the minute she was detained, noting that some interrogation sessions lasted up to 20 hours.

Talking through our fears: Resisting the Palestinian complacency of silence

An active columnist who is critical of the occupation and the Palestinian Authorities’ cooperation with it, Khater is being held because Israel believes her work is a “time bomb”.

Her husband, Hazim Al-Fakhouri, said that his wife told him during the court hearing two days ago that she had started to suffer from sever pains in her back due to the prolonged hours sitting on the interrogation chair.

He stressed that the Israeli occupation is putting pressure on his wife in order to get confessions that it could use to indict her.

Al-Fakhouri said that the Israeli interrogators also threaten to harm her two-year-old son.

(Source / 16.08.2018)

Israel army concludes probe into 2014 ‘Battle of Rafah’

Palestinians search for victims under the rubble of a house which was destroyed by an Israeli air strike during Israeli offensive on the Gaza Strip on 24 July 2014 [Ashraf Amra/Apaimages]

Palestinians search for victims under the rubble of a house which was destroyed during the Israeli offensive on the Gaza Strip on 24 July 2014

Israeli military prosecutors on Wednesday closed a years-long probe into the “Battle of Rafah”, also known as “Black Friday” — one of the bloodiest events of Israel’s 2014 onslaught against the blockaded Gaza Strip, Anadolu reports.

“Military prosecutors have decided to close their investigation into clashes that occurred between the Israeli army and Hamas during Operation Protective Edge,” Israeli daily Haaretzquoted an Israeli army statement as saying.

“Prosecutors have decided not to file any criminal charges against the [Israeli] commander involved in the incident,” the statement read.

During the battle, 42 Hamas fighters — along with at least 72 Palestinian civilians — were killed, according to Israeli figures.

The battle began on Aug. 1, 2014, after Israeli Army Lieutenant Hadar Goldin was captured — and two other Israeli soldiers killed — by Palestinian resistance fighters.

Read: Israel reopens Kerem Shalom crossing with Gaza

Israeli troops deployed in the area reportedly initiated the so-called “Hannibal Protocol”, a controversial directive giving field commanders the right to “do anything” to prevent the capture of Israeli soldiers.

Israel’s 2014 military onslaught left more than 2,300 Palestinians dead and much of the Gaza Strip’s vital infrastructure in ruins.

At least 70 Israelis — 65 soldiers and five civilians — were also killed in the conflict, according to Israeli figures.

(Source / 16.08.2018)

Claims of torture in PA prisons resurface as prisoner dies in custody

28-year-old Palestinian Ahmed Abu Hamada, died in a Palestinian Authority jail [Twitter]

28-year-old Palestinian Ahmed Abu Hamada died in a Palestinian Authority jail

The death of 28-year-old Palestinian Ahmed Abu Hamada in a Palestinian Authority jail has brought to the surface claims of torture in detention, Felesteen reported yesterday.

The PA had claimed that Abu Hamada had a heart attack however rights groups have said that many prisoners die as a result of torture in detention.

Abu Hamada was detained last year along with fellow member of the Al-Aqsa Brigades, Abdullah Daraghmeh, and charged with causing security chaos.

Daraghmeh also died in detention, with the PA claiming he died of natural causes.

Member of Freedoms Committee in the West Bank, Khalil Assaf, said: “Based on complaints from people who were detained, we found that they were exposed to different forms of torture,” noting that most of them do not file complaints because they are afraid of revenge.

Read: Abbas cuts salaries of Gaza prisoners inside Israeli jails

Assaf said that Jericho Prison is the most notorious because Palestinians are brought there for investigation.

The Arab Organisation for Human Rights based in London has several times called for the PA to immediately stop the political detention and stop practicing “systematic torture and humiliation” of Palestinian inmates.

Rights groups documented cases of Palestinians tortured to death inside PA prisons, including Farid Jarbou, 28, who died in July 1994 – less than a year after the establishment of the PA.

(Source / 16.08.2018)

Abbas Stresses Full Reconciliation with One Legitimate Weapon

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas chairs a Palestinian Liberation Organization (PLO) executive committee meeting in the West Bank city of Ramallah, August 22, 2015

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas has said that he would only accept full reconciliation in accordance with the 2017 agreement.

“We seek the success of the reconciliation, but based on one law, one government and one legitimate weapon, without the presence of militias,” Abbas said at the opening of the 29th session of the central committee on Wednesday. “There is no state in Gaza nor a state without Gaza,” he stressed.

Abbas accused Hamas of rejecting reconciliation. “In principle, Hamas does not have intentions for reconciliation … Some consider the issue to be solely humanitarian , as if the suffering of the people in Gaza started has just started,” he said.

In his speech, Abbas expressed support to the popular resistance and called for confronting Israel’s plans to displace Palestinians in Jerusalem and the Khan al-Ahmar region. “We must win in Khan Al-Ahmar and we will not allow them to pass their plans,” he said.

The meeting of the central committee is the first since the Palestinian National Council specified the committee’s powers in May.

Palestinian officials said that the outcome of the session would mainly include decisions on defining the relation with occupation forces, adding that the central committee would decide on the gradual withdrawal from all agreements signed with the occupation, including civil affairs and joint security and economic arrangements.

The Palestinian national council had announced that the agreements of Oslo, Cairo and Washington were no longer valid, stressing that the main objective was the independence of the state of Palestine, which requires transition from state governance to the consolidation of sovereignty.

The Popular and Democratic fronts, which belong to the PLO, boycotted the session, in addition to Hamas and Islamic Jihad. The factions accused Abbas of monopolizing decision-making.

(Source / 16.08.2018)

IOF shot 10 Palestinians in West Bank clashes

HEBRON, PALESTINOW.COM — At least 10 Palestinians were injured on Wednesday evening in clashes between the Israeli occupation forces (IOF) and Palestinian youths in al-Khalil city.

Hebrew website “0404” claimed that two Israeli soldiers were wounded after being hit with stones during the clashes.

Violent confrontations broke out in Bab al-Zawiya area in al-Khalil city where 10 Palestinian youths chocked on teargas and were treated on the field.

According to the Palestinian reporter, two of the injured youths were transferred to al-Khalil Hospital to complete treatment. One of them was directly hit with a teargas canister in the face.

The clashes flared up after IOF soldiers stormed the city in large numbers and started to harass the Palestinian citizens who were shopping in preparation for Eid al-Adha.

The IOF heavily fired live ammunition, teargas canisters and rubber-coated metal bullets at the Palestinian citizens.

(Source / 16.08.2018)

Killing 120 innocent Palestinians on Black Friday is OK, Israeli probe finds

Joint report by Amnesty International and Forensic Architecture found evidence proving that Israeli occupation forces carried out war crimes on Black Friday
Chief Military Advocate General finds no criminal wrongdoing in killing 120 Palestinians, wounding more than 1,000 and demolishing more than 200 homes on Black Friday, Israeli Ynet News reported on Wednesday.

Black Friday was one of the bloodiest days during the 51-day Israeli offensive on the blockaded Gaza Strip in 2014.

Chief Israeli Military Advocate General Major General Sharon Afek has decided to close the case on the killing of Palestinians in revenge of losing an Israeli soldier during the attacks on Palestinian civilians.

“Prosecutors have decided not to file any criminal charges against the Israeli commander involved in the incident,” a statement read.

The aggressive attack began on August 1, 2014, after Israeli Army Lieutenant Hadar Goldin was captured — and two other Israeli soldiers killed — by Palestinian resistance fighters.

Israeli troops deployed in the area initiated the so-called “Hannibal Protocol,” a controversial directive giving field commanders the right to “do anything” to prevent the capture of Israeli soldiers.

Israeli 2014 military onslaught left more than 2,300 Palestinians dead and much of the Gaza Strip’s vital infrastructure in ruins.

More than 11,000 Palestinians were wounded and most of the hospitals, many schools and mosques and tens of thousands of Palestinian homes were destroyed.

It is worth mentioning that a joint report by Amnesty International and Forensic Architecture found evidence proving that Israeli occupation forces carried out war crimes on Black Friday.

(Source / 16.08.2018)

Senior Israel security advisor: Calls to reoccupy Gaza ‘absurd’

Image of former Israeli National Security Advisor, Yaakov Amidror [BICOM‏/Twitter]

Former Israeli National Security Advisor, Yaakov Amidror

Former National Security Advisor to the Israeli prime minister and former head of the National Security Council, Yaakov Amidror, described Israeli calls to reoccupy the Gaza Strip “absurd”, Arab48 reported yesterday.

Replying to a number of Israeli politicians, who called for reoccupying Gaza, Amidror said: “This is absurd. Whoever suggests this does not recognise what he says.”

He added: “Let’s imagine that we had occupied Gaza, what will we do the next day? Become responsible for two million people? This is absolutely not a reliable suggestion.”

Last week, former Israeli prime minister Ehud Barak suggested that ending Hamas’ control of besieged Gaza could be achieved through a “full” reoccupation of the coastal enclave, noting that this proposal was put on the table for discussion in 2011.

Read: Ex-Israel PM denounces rival politicians as ‘fascists’

Israeli Energy Minister Yuval Steinitz called for his government to reoccupy Gaza in order to end Hamas’ rule.

Regarding the political proposal being offered to Hamas, Amidror said that its problem is that it does not touch on Hamas’ military abilities. This presses Israel to continue building up its power in order to be ready for the increasing abilities of Hamas.

Amidror said that there are only two options: continue attacking Hamas, and they would rebuild their power, or reoccupying Gaza.

He also suggested a third; targeting Hamas leaders. This, however, would lead to a fierce encounter with the Palestinian movement. “This option should be considered and we should remain ready to carry it out when the price deserves it,” he said.

(Source / 16.08.2018)

Israel military storms Hebron, injures Palestinians

Israeli occupation forces fired sound bombs and tear gas canisters at Palestinians after storming into Hebron

Israeli occupation forces stormed the occupied West Bank city of Hebron yesterday shooting sound bombs and tear gas canisters at Palestinians in the city.

Locals who witnessed the incident stated that the Israeli soldiers began stopping and searching Palestinian residents and vehicles.

Occupation forces fired tear gas in to a local shopping centre causing many Palestinians to suffer from suffocation.

According to the Palestinian Red Crescent, dozens of Palestinians were injured in the attack, including six who suffered from tear gas inhalation and one who was hit on the head with a tear gas canister and was rushed to hospital suffered major head injuries.

Video footage has been released by local residents showing Israeli forces questioning and searching residents, and Palestinian residents running as soldiers fired tear gas and sound bombs.

Palestinian residents of Hebron endure a large Israeli military presence on a daily basis, as at least 32 permanent and partial Israeli checkpoints are set up throughout the city.

In recent months, there has been a sharp rise in raids conducted by Israeli security forces in the West Bank, with 520 Palestinians – including journalists – having been arrested in July alone. The arrests come as settlements are also currently being expanded in Hebron.

Read: Israel army raids Palestinian school in West Bank

(Source / 16.08.2018)

Palestine journalist arrested by Israel military, accused of inciting violence

Palestinian journalist with Israeli soldiers

Israeli soldiers threaten Palestinian journalist [File photo]

A Palestinian journalist was arrested by Israeli occupation forces yesterday morning during a raid on his hometown of Burham, north of Ramallah, in the occupied West Bank.

Ali Dar Ali, a journalist and reporter for the Palestinian Authority-run news channel Palestine TV,livestreamed two videos of Israeli soldiers operating in a Palestinian refugee camp near Ramallah on Tuesday morning. He was then accused of inciting violence towards the soldiers, a charge he denies, and was arrested the next morning.

Read more: Palestinian journalists being ‘tortured’ in Israel jails

The Palestine Broadcasting Corporation (PBC) has  protested the arrest and detention of Dar Ali, insisting that “these measures are intended to silence the Palestinian voice and dim the picture so that it [the Israeli military] can commit its crimes without any noise…such measures will not deter us or stop us from doing our national duty toward our cause.”

Dar Ali is the seventh Palestinian journalist to be arrested in the space of two weeks as part of Israel’s ongoing campaign against local news outlets. Since 30 July, numerous raids and arrests have been conducted by the Israeli military throughout the West Bank after Defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman declared Al-Quds TV a terrorist organisation.

Read more: Israel to close Al-Quds satellite channel

Middle East and North Africa program coordinator of the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ) Sherif Mansour, stated last week that “declaring a media outlet a terrorist organisation set the tone for the country’s latest crackdown on Palestinian journalists. We call on Israeli authorities to disclose charges against the seven journalists arrested over the past week or release them and allow them to work freely.”

Palestinian Journalists Arrested by Israel - Cartoon [Sarwar Ahmed/MiddleEastMonitor]

(Source / 16.08.2018)