Article asked on this date

You have found the article

Dagelijks archief 8 juli 2018

Soldiers Abduct Two Palestinians In Tubas And Hebron

08 JUL
2:36 PM

Israeli soldiers abducted, Sunday, two young Palestinian man from Tubas city, in northeastern West Bank, and Hebron, in the southern part.

Mahmoud Sawafta, the head of Tubas office of the Palestinian Prisoners’ Society (PPS) said the abducted young man have been identified as Abdullah Sharif Daraghma.

He added that Daraghma was taken prisoner after the soldiers stopped him at the al-Hamra military roadblock, southeast of Tubas.

The young man was cuffed and blindfolded before the soldiers took him to an unknown destination.

The soldiers also abducted a young man, identified as Abdullah Walid Sweity, from Doura town, south of Hebron.

The young man was taken prisoner after the soldiers stopped him at the “Container” military roadblock, north of Bethlehem.

In related news, the soldiers abducted eight Palestinians, including five children, from their homes in occupied East Jerusalem.

Furthermore, a young Palestinian man died, Sunday, from complications, including renal failure, resulting from serious wounds he suffered after Israeli soldiers shot him in his spine, in 2009.

Palestinian, Ya’coub Fayeq Nassar, suffered numerous complications, and underwent several surgeries, including when the doctors amputated his left leg last year.

(Source / 08.07.2018)

Israel to allow settlers to own W. Bank land through new legislation

Stealing West Bank land

An Israeli newspaper said that the ministerial committee for legislation at the Knesset would study a bill on Sunday that would allow Jewish settlers to acquire land rights in the occupied West Bank.

Members of the Knesset cannot discuss bills and vote them into laws before this ministerial committee, whose members are ministers, approve them for discussion on the floor of the Knesset.

According to Haaretz newspaper, the explanatory notes affixed to the bill, which is sponsored by MK Bezalel Smotrich (Jewish Home), say that the current situation is based on a 1953 Jordanian law, which prevented anyone from buying land in the West Bank unless they were Jordanian citizens or citizens of another Arab country. That law remained in force after Israel captured the West Bank in the 1967 six-day war.

In the early 1970s, an Israeli way was found to circumvent the law and allow settlers to buy land there through a special order stating that anybody could buy land through a company registered in the West Bank, regardless of who owned the company.

That enabled Jews to set up companies registered in the West Bank and use them to buy land, the newspaper affirmed.

Smotrich’s bill aims to eliminate this disparity and simply state that anyone can buy land in the occupied West Bank. “The fact that an Israeli currently can’t buy land there just because he is an Israeli is unacceptable,” the bill’s explanatory notes said.

(Source / 08.07.2018)

IOF seizes vegetable vehicle on Nablus-Ramallah road

Vegetables vehicle

The Israeli occupation forces (IOF) at midnight confiscated a Palestinian commercial vehicle used to transport vegetables in an ambush on a road between Nablus and Ramallah.

According to local sources, the vehicle belongs to a young man called Suleiman Saqer, a resident of Nablus city, and he was driving home after he sold vegetables in Ramallah.

The vehicle was confiscated, with no reason, by soldiers at a makeshift checkpoint in an area known as Ayyoun al-Haramiyya between Nablus and Ramallah.

The young man is the son of ex-detainee Ahmed Saqer, whose personal car had been seized by the IOF about one month ago.

(Source / 08.07.2018)

IOF tightens security measures in Nablus

Security Nablus

Israeli occupation forces (IOF) on Sunday intensified security measures around Nablus city in the northern West Bank, erected makeshift barriers and blocked traffic.

Eyewitnesses reported that the IOF closed Deir Sharaf road, which links Nablus with Tulkarem, and prevented vehicles from entering or leaving the city.

Meanwhile, a local source said that a group of Israeli settlers rioted near Jit village, between Nablus and Qalqilya, under the protection of IOF soldiers.

(Source / 08.07.2018)

Purported Neutrality at the UN is Harmful to Palestinians

Ramona Wadi

By Ramona Wadi

On Monday, Israeli lawyer Yuval Shany was appointed to chair the UN Human Rights Committee – a body of experts that monitors the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. Article 1(1) of the covenant states: “All peoples have the right of self-determination. By virtue of that right, they freely determine their political status and freely pursue their economic, social and cultural development.”

Commenting on his appointment as quoted in Haaretz, Shany stated:

“Currently the UN’s Human Rights Committee faces several challenges, chiefly that we live in an international climate that no longer supports human rights.”

His aim as committee chair, he said, is:

“To harness its positive and apolitical influence to secure human rights for all citizens of the world.”

There are always discrepancies between the UN and human rights. Shany’s appointment, which is not the first occasion in which an Israeli has held influential positions at the UN, is another example of how the international institution exists to serve human rights violations. By allowing Israel this platform, the committee is also calling attention to the fact that the UN is in favor of normalizing Israel’s colonial violence against Palestinians.

According to the Times of Israel, Shany described the committee as being less dictated by global politics. This specification seems to be making the case against other UN organizations which have been deemed as having an “anti-Israel bias”, notably by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley. However, the play upon what constitutes political, particularly in terms of power, is always subject to manipulation at the UN.

Self-determination – the subject of Article 1 in the mentioned Covenant – is a political right. The presence, or absence, of such a right, cannot be divested from political acts. If by commenting upon “apolitical influence”, Shany is indicating neutrality, there is also no escaping the fact that taking such a stance is also a clear political act.

The overseeing of implementation of the Covenant, which is the committee’s role,  takes the form of reviewing individual state reports and offering “concluding observations” accordingly. It is a strategy that is employed across several UN institutions and that leaves severe political implications for Palestinians.

One of these implications is the constant pleading by Palestinian officials to the UN for international protection; the latest by PLO Executive Committee Member Hanan Ashrawi. Wafa news agency carried Ashrawi’s comments, in which she emphasized the need for “serious intervention from the international community”.

Shany, however, does shine a light on international complicity in rendering the Palestinian cause apolitical. The underlying purported neutrality across UN institutions with regard to Palestine, particularly its persistence regarding the two-state compromise, makes the organization a very dangerous platform. It is easy to forget that behind the international banner, individual countries are exerting their power and building allegiances to the detriment of the oppressed.

In Palestine’s case, there is no doubt it is in dire need of political action. However, expecting such a stance from institutions that wield their political power behind screens of alleged neutrality is to cede what remains of Palestine’s political rights.

Looking within and returning to the roots of the anti-colonial struggle is important. Yet it is precisely the foundations that are being neglected, with the result that Palestinians are constantly exploited at an international level, to pave the way for the international community’s manipulation of politics that marginalizes Palestine and puts another Israeli representative at the helm.

(Source / 08.07.2018)

Adalah Mourns Passing of Felicia Langer, 1930 – 2018

07 JUL
10:45 PM

Holocaust survivor Felicia Langer was a world-renowned defender of Palestinian human rights and fought against the Israeli occupation and oppression, for peace, justice, and the enforcement of international law.

It is with great sorrow that Adalah mourns the passing of human rights activist and attorney Felicia Langer, known internationally for her lifetime of work defending Palestinian human rights, on 21 June, 2018, at the age of 87.

Langer was born in Poland, to a Jewish family, and survived World War II and the Holocaust before emigrating to Israel in 1950, where she studied law. She was the first attorney to open an office dedicated to the defense of Palestinian and Syrian victims of the Israeli occupation.

In 1990, Langer left Israel for Germany where she continued her legal defense of Palestinian human rights.

Langer was the keynote speaker at Adalah’s 2005 study day, in Nazareth, co-hosted by the Nazareth Municipality, where she spoke to some 150 participants about “The Experience of the Past Through the Mirror of the Present: Israel and the Human Rights of the Palestinians.”

In 2009, she received Germany’s Federal Cross of Merit from German president Horst Kohler for her lifetime effort working for peace, justice, and the respect of human rights.

(Source / 08.07.2018)

Palestinian Teen Dies From Serious Wounds He Suffered In 2009

08 JUL
1:30 PM

Palestinian medical sources in Hebron, in the southern part of the occupied West Bank, said a young man died, Sunday, from very serious complications resulting from wounds, he suffered in 2009, after Israeli soldiers shot him.

The Palestinian, Ya’coub Fayeq Nassar, 18, was just a child, 9 years of age, when the soldiers shot him in his spine, in the al-Fawwar refugee camp, south of Hebron in the southern part of the West Bank, and suffered ongoing complications.

His injury caused paralysis, and he spent years being transferred to various Palestinian hospitals in West Bank, and was eventually moved to an Israeli hospital where he underwent many surgeries and medical procedures.

In February of last year, the doctors at Ichilov Hospital had to amputate his legs, but his condition continued to deteriorate, and he suffered a renal failure, before eventually succumbed to his wounds.

(Source / 08.07.2018)

Israeli Army Installs Mobile Homes In Abu Dis Ahead Of Demolishing Al-Khan Al-Ahmar

08 JUL
3:38 PM

The Israeli army installed, Sunday, several mobile homes in Wadi al-Jir area in Abu Dis town, east of occupied East Jerusalem, in preparation for demolishing al-Khan al-Ahmar Palestinian Bedouin community, and relocating them in another area.

Eyewitness confirmed that the army installed several homes, after carrying them on huge trucks, while many bulldozers were seen operating in the area.

Jerusalemite activist Hani Halabiyya said the soldiers closed many roads in al-‘Ezariyya and Abu Dis towns, shutting traffic to al-Khan al-Ahmar, to prevent Palestinian, Israeli and international peace activists from entering the area to protest the displacement and demolition of the Bedouin community.

WAFA Palestinian News Agency said the Israeli bulldozers started the preparations since early morning hours, Sunday, after dozens of additional soldiers and officers were deployed there.

It is worth mentioning that the army first decided to go ahead with the demolitions and displacement of the Palestinian community after obtaining a green light from the Israeli High Court.

However, after the bulldozers started creating paths linking the main road with al-Khan al-Ahmar, to allow heavy machinery and trucks through to carry the displacement out, dozens of Palestinian, Israeli and international activists held constant vigils and nonviolent protest in the area.

The soldiers resorted to the excessive use of force against the nonviolent protesters, and injured at least 35 of them, including Jerusalem governor and the head of Jerusalem Affairs Ministry Adnan al-Husseini, and the head of the National Committee against the Annexation Wall and Colonies, Walid Assaf, in addition to abducting ten, including three international peace activists, and one woman from al-Khan al-Ahmar.

On Thursday, July 5th, the Israeli High Court issued a temporary injunction temporarily halting the demolition of the Palestinian Bedouin.

The temporary injunction gave the army until July 11trh, to respond to a petition by the villagers, who said they were denied construction permits due to unfair policies.

Al-Khan Al-Ahmar is inhabited by 181 Palestinians, more than half of whom are children. They live without basic services, including running water, electricity, health services, and are surrounded by illegal Israeli colonies.

The inhabitants are from the Negev Desert, but were forcibly removed and displaced after the establishment of Israel in the historic land of Palestine, in 1948, and settled in the Plains area near Jerusalem, in 1953.

They have the deeds for the land, all legal and registered as part of ‘Anata village, the nearby Palestinian town. Nevertheless, Israeli authorities have refused to recognize those deeds.

Israel wants to displace the Palestinians in that area as part of its E1 colonialist project, which also aims at the illegal annexation of 12.000 Dunams of Palestinian lands, extending from East Jerusalem to the Dead Sea.

The project would also block any geographic contiguity between the central area of the West Bank, and its southern part.

(Source / 08.07.2018)

Iran condemns deportation of its diplomats from Netherlands

Iranians hold an Iranian flag during a protest after performing the Friday Prayer at Imam Khomeini Mosque following US' statement about backing the anti-government protests in Tehran, Iran on January 05, 2018 [Fatemeh Bahrami / Anadolu Agency]

Iranians hold an Iranian flag during a protest after performing the Friday Prayer at Imam Khomeini Mosque following US’ statement about backing the anti-government protests in Tehran, Iran on January 05, 2018

Tehran summoned the Dutch ambassador and the Islamic Republic protested at the deportation of two Iranian diplomats in the Netherlands, the Iranian foreign ministry spokesman was quoted as saying by IRNA on Saturday.

A European government official and a Western intelligence source said on Friday that the expulsions of two Iranian embassy staff occurred up to two months ago.

The Iranian foreign ministry Bahram Qasemi did not say when the ministry’s meeting with the Dutch ambassador took place.

He said the deportation of Iranian diplomats was “unfriendly and unconstructive” and said Iran has the right to take reciprocal measures.

“Instead of expelling Iranian diplomats, the Dutch government should explain why it has harboured members of a terrorist organisation,” Qasemi said, mentioning the People’s Mujahideen Organisation of Iran. That group is linked to the Paris-based National Council of Resistance of Iran – a bloc of opposition groups in exile that seek an end clerical rule in Iran.

The group, also known by its Persian name Mujahideen-e-Khalq, was once listed as a terrorist organisation by the United States and the European Union but is not any more.

Read: Iran diplomat arrested over bomb plot against US-backed opposition

(Source / 08.07.2018)

1st Israeli minister storms Al-Aqsa compound since 2015

Last week, Netanyahu lifted 3-year ban on government officials and Knesset members visiting Al-Aqsa compound

Image of Israeli Agriculture Minister, Uri Ariel [File photo]

Israeli Agriculture Minister, Uri Ariel

Israeli Minister of Agriculture Uri Ariel on Sunday forced his way into East Jerusalem’s flashpoint Al-Aqsa Mosque compound, for the first such tour by an Israeli official since 2015.

Last week, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu lifted a three-year ban on government officials and Knesset members visiting the site.

Ariel, a member of the right-wing Jewish Home party, led a group of Jewish settlers into the Al-Aqsa courtyard under heavy security measures, according to eyewitnesses.

Speaking during his tour, Ariel called for keeping the site open for Jewish prayers throughout the year.

According to Israeli Channel 7, Ariel had obtained a prior approval before visiting the Al-Aqsa compound in line with instructions requiring member of Knesset to submit a request 24 hours before visiting the site.

Netanyahu had allowed Knesset members to visit the compound once every three months, according to local Israeli media.

READ: Israel Police set up watchtower at entrance to Al-Aqsa

In October 2015, Netanyahu banned MKs from entering the Al-Aqsa compound in an effort to calm violence that broke out across Israel-occupied West Bank as a result of repeated incursions by Jewish settlers into the site.

For Muslims, Al-Aqsa represents the world’s third holiest site. Jews, for their part, refer to the area as the “Temple Mount,” claiming it was the site of two Jewish temples in ancient times.

Some extremist Jewish groups have called for the demolition of the Al-Aqsa Mosque so that a Jewish temple might be built in its place. In September 2000, a visit to the flashpoint religious site by late Israeli politician Ariel Sharon sparked what later became known as the “Second Intifada,” a popular Palestinian uprising in which thousands of people were killed.

Israel occupied East Jerusalem – in which the Al-Aqsa is located – during the 1967 Middle East War. It later annexed the entire city in 1980, unilaterally claiming it as the capital of the self-proclaimed Jewish state.

(Source / 08.07.2018)