Article asked on this date

You have found the article

Dagelijks archief 7 juli 2018

Administrative detainees to escalate protest steps

Administrative detainees

Palestinian administrative detainees, held in Israeli jails without charge or trial, declared on Saturday to escalate their protest steps during the next few days in challenge of Israeli Prison Service’s negligence policy.

The PA committee for prisoners’ affairs affirmed that the decision came after five administrative detainees were moved to solitary confinement in Ofer prison on Thursday shortly after declaring an open hunger strike as part of their struggle to improve their conditions.

The prisoners’ representatives plan to escalate their struggle in the coming weeks by increasing the number of hunger strikers, the committee added.

On February 15, Palestinian administrative detainees started to boycott Israeli courts in protest against the increasing use of administrative detention policy as a punitive measure against Palestinian prisoners and their families.

(Source / 07.07.2018)

Al-Aqsa guards prevent Israeli police’s attack on Bab al-Rahma

Al Aqsa guards

The guards of the Al-Aqsa Mosque on Saturday morning prevented an Israeli new attack on Bab al-Rahma, east of the Mosque in Occupied Jerusalem.

A number of Israeli police forces stormed early today Bab al-Rahma area and carried out provocative actions as part of their systematic attacks on Bab al-Rahma cemetery.

The cemetery has been subject to multiple attacks over the past period where Israeli forces demolished parts of its outer wall and placed iron fences around the tombs as a prelude to confiscate the sieged area.

The Bab al-Rahma cemetery is a historical cemetery located outside the eastern wall of al-Aqsa Mosque, which houses the graves of two of the companions (Sahabah) of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him), Ubadah-bin-Samit and Shaddad-bin-Aus (may Allah be pleased with them).

(Source / 07.07.2018)

Ya’alon calls for burning Gaza fields in response to fire kites

Ya'alon Moshe

Israel’s former War Minister Moshe Ya’alon has said that fields in the Gaza Strip should be set ablaze in response to the fire kites and balloons sent from enclave into nearby Israeli settlements.

According to Maariv newspaper, Ya’alon said that the Israelis should pursue an “eye for an eye” policy in response to the fire kites sent over the border fence.

Regarding Israel’s threats against Hamas, Ya’alon said that “these are empty threats” and that ultimatums, which are only talk, damage deterrence.

As for the solution in Gaza, Ya’alon added that the policy should be one that the Palestinians understand that they have their own autonomy.

“Hamas is not interested in the 1967 borders, but Tel Aviv, Ashkelon, and the right of return. We have to explain this to the world,” said Ya’alon.

(Source / 07.07.2018)

Hamas hacks over 100 IOF’s smartphones

Smartphones

PALESTINOW.COM — The Israel Occupation Forces (IOF) is blaming Palestinian hackers for targeting smartphones of its soldiers with a spyware hidden in one World Cup and two dating apps. The aim of this campaign according to IDF was to spy on officials and around 100 soldiers were tricked into downloading these apps.

Israeli occupation authorities said that so far no damage has been done but hackers from Hamas are actively targeting its soldiers by making fake profiles on social media platforms, befriending them and ticking into downloading spyware apps which ends up enabling their smartphones’ camera allowing hackers to spy and steal the data on the phone.

An IOF official told Times of Israel that Hamas is becoming sophisticated in their cyber attacks. One of the malicious apps that targeted soldiers was “Golden Cup” claiming to provide match schedule and other details regarding ongoing FIFA Football World Cup in Russia while other two were dating apps called Winkchat and Glancelove.

The latest campaign by Hamas was indeed sophisticated since it used stolen identities including photos of attractive women. The resistance group then made Facebook profiles from the stolen data and carried out chats on WhatsApp and Facebook in the Hebrew language. The smartphone numbers used in the campaign were Israeli which made it easy for hackers to make their appearance credible.

The hackers would then flirt with soldiers and lure them into downloading malicious apps on their smartphones. One of the apps also took photos of its target without victim’s knowledge and send their real-time location to command and control (C&C) center allegedly set up by Hamas.

All apps were available on Play Store which have been removed by Google. However, IOF has warned soldiers that they should keep an eye on the situation and avoid falling for such scams.

A spyware app works in such a way that once installed on a targeted device it can silently spy on users, steal and send their data to attackers including financial information, emails, text messages, WhatsApp conversations, calls records and contacts list etc.

This, however, is not the first time when Hamas has been blamed for targeting IOF. Previously, in a similar campaign, photos of IOF female soldiers were used by hackers to breach Israeli Military servers. In another campaign, hackers from Hamas compromised smartphones of dozens of IOF soldiers using seductive images of attractive women.

(Source / 07.07.2018)

Israel arrests senior PA employee at Erez Crossing

Erez Crossing

Israeli border officials arrested a senior Palestinian Authority official on Thursday evening as he made his way back to the Gaza Strip after a working visit to the occupied West Bank, Quds Press has reported. The official was identified as Saed Al-Ghoul, the head of the Gaza branch of the PA’s Ministry of Civil Affairs.

Al-Ghoul’s ministry makes the arrangements for patients, students and traders to travel from the Gaza Strip through the Erez Crossing into Israel. He was arrested at the border post, which is known to Palestinians as Beit Hanoun Crossing.

According to Al-Mizan Centre for Human Rights, this was the first time that Israel has arrested an official of the Civil Affairs Ministry. Al-Ghoul, it added, is the sixth Palestinian from Gaza to be arrested at the crossing this year. The figure for 2017 was 17.

Relatively few Palestinians from Gaza are allowed to pass through Erez by the Israeli occupation authorities. Apart from patients and students, others allowed through include employees of foreign companies and aid workers as well as a few businessmen.

Rights groups have accused the Israeli authorities several times of using the Erez Crossing as a trap, as they put pressure on Palestinians who need to travel for them to become informers.

Gaza remains under a 12-year-old Israeli-led siege that more or less isolates the coastal territory from the outside world.

(Source / 07.07.2018)

What Israel is doing to Palestinians is ‘unacceptable,’ insists Al-Azhar

Worshippers gather at Al-Azhar University in Cairo, Egypt [File photo]

Worshippers gather at Al-Azhar University in Cairo, Egypt

The centuries-old Al-Azhar University in Cairo has said that Israel’s treatment of the Palestinians is “unacceptable,” Almesryoon.com reported on Friday. Al-Azhar has launched a campaign against the Israeli violations, the Egyptian news website said. The move follows Israel’s destruction of Al-Khan Al-Ahmar Bedouin village near Jerusalem and the displacement of its residents.

“The violations of the Zionist entity, its barbaric action, displacement and enforced expulsion of the Palestinians is unacceptable and must be accountable,” a report from the university said. “Humiliating the Palestinians, expelling them, expropriating their land and building settlements on them is opposed by all international agreements and conventions.”

Al-Azhar condemned the decision of the Israeli Supreme Court to dispossess the Palestinian residents of Al-Khan Al-Ahmar and Abu Nuwwar in order to demolish the villages and build new Jewish settlements. All Israeli settlements on Palestinian land are illegal under international law.

The renowned religious institution, founded in 975 CE, said that the “brutal” Israeli action against the Palestinians amounts to a “new Nakba”, a reference to the 1948 Nakba (“Catastrophe”) when Israel was created in the historic land of Palestine.

The Egyptian Fatwa Department published comments on its website in support of the Palestinians, stressing that they have the right to all of their land. The Israeli occupation, it added, is “doubtlessly fading out.” The department also called upon the international community to take action to deter Israel’s aggression and stop its ongoing violations against the Palestinians.

(Source / 07.07.2018)

Israeli Soldiers Injure Palestinians Defending Their Village After Colonists Attacked It, Cut And Burnt Dozens Of Trees

07 JUL
3:14 AM

Medical sources have reported, Friday, that dozens of Palestinians suffered the effects of teargas inhalation, one was shot with a rubber-coated steel bullet, and many others sustained cuts and bruises, after Israeli soldiers attacked them while defending their village, Orif, south of the northern West Bank city of Nablus, when a group of extremist illegal Israeli colonists attacked its farmlands, burnt and cuts dozens of trees.

Adel Omar, an activist with the Israeli Information Center for Human Rights in the Occupied Territories (B’Tselem), said the attack was carried out by dozens of assailants from Yitzhar illegal Israeli colony, which was built on private Palestinian lands.

He added that the colonists invaded the eastern area of the village and burnt dozens of Dunams planted with olive and almond trees, in addition cutting many trees.

The soldiers then invaded the village, and attacked the Palestinians, before firing many live rounds at them, gas bombs and rubber-coated steel bullets.

One Palestinian was shot with a rubber-coated steel bullet in his head, before he was rushed to Rafidia hospital for treatment.

Dozens suffered the effects of teargas inhalation and received the needed treatment by local medics.

The soldiers also fired live rounds at a press vehicle for Palestine TV.

In a statement, the Committee for Protecting Orif village said the Israeli assailants caused the following damage to the Palestinian lands.

  1. Cut 40 olive saplings owned by Issam Safadi.
  2. Cut and burnt 62 saplings owned by Mohammad Shehada.
  3. Burnt and cut 12 olive and almond trees owned by Raed Sabah.
  4. Cut 14 olive saplings owned by Najeh Shehada.
  5. Burnt 18 fig and pomegranate trees owned by Shaher Shehada.

(Source / 07.07.2018)

Israeli Forces Kill Palestinian injure 396 others along Gaza borders

396 injured Gaza border

On Friday, 06 July 2018, using excessive lethal force against the peaceful protesters in eastern Gaza Strip for the 15th Friday in a row, Israeli forces killed a Palestinian civilian and wounded 396 other civilians, including 24 children, 7 women, 5 paramedics and a journalist, in addition to dozens suffering tear gas inhalation.

Upon a Decision by the highest political and military echelons, the Israeli forces continued to use excessive force against the peaceful protesters, who posed no threat to the life of the soldiers.

Mohammad Jamal Abu Halima, 22, was killed in the artillery bombing which targeted a crowd of protesters at Gaza border east of Gaza City. Others were also injured in the shelling.

According to medical sources, at least 396 Palestinian protesters were either injured by live bullets or suffered from suffocation due to teargas inhalation as Israeli forces continued to crack down on the 15th consecutive Friday of the ‘Great March of Return’ non-violent protests at the Israeli installed barbed-wire fence along Gaza borders.

For his part PCHR  said at approximately 16:00, hundreds of civilians, including women, children and entire families, started swarming to 5 encampments established by the Supreme National Authority for the Great March of Return and Breaking Siege in eastern Rafah City; Khuza’ah in Khan Younis; al-Bureij in the Central Gaza Strip; Shija’eyah neighborhood in Gaza City; and eastern Jabalia in the northern Gaza Strip.

The number of participants gradually increased, reaching a peak at approximately 16:30, in the five demonstration areas, and they were estimated at thousands of men, elderlies, women and children. They were inside and outside the encampment yards, raising flags, and chanting slogans and national songs in addition to flying kites, while hundreds of them, including children and women, approached the border fence, set fire to tires and attempted to throw stones at the Israeli forces. Moreover, the protestors removed the barbed wire fence established by the Israeli forces inside the Palestinian territories around 50 meters away from the main border fence.

The Israeli shooting which continued until 20:00 resulted in the killing of Mohamed Jamal ‘Eliyan Abu Halimah (22), from Shija’eyah neighborhood in Gaza City. Mohamed was with a live bullet to chest while participating in the protests in eastern Gaza City.

Moreover, 111 civilians, including 24 children, 7 women, 5 paramedics and a journalist, were wounded. In addition, hundreds suffered tear gas inhalation and seizures, including PCHR’s fieldworkers while covering the suppression of demonstrations, after Israeli forces fired tear gas canisters.

PCHR condemns this new crime committed by the Israeli forces, believing it is as a result of Israel’s enjoying impunity thanks to the U.S. and so encouraging the Israeli forces to commit further crimes upon an official decision by the highest military and political echelons.

PCHR emphasizes that continuously inflicting casualties, either killed or wounded, is unjustified and targeting and killing civilians, who exercise their right to peaceful assembly or while carrying out their humanitarian duty, using lethal force is a serious violation of the rules of intentional law and international humanitarian law.

PCHR emphasizes that ongoing attacks against the Palestinian medical personnel, especially those working in the field, constitute a serious violation of the international human rights and humanitarian laws and the international standards regulating the protection rules of medical personnel, including paramedics, their vehicles and medical facilities. The serious violations and deliberate attacks against the medical personnel amount to war crimes according to the 1949 fourth Geneva Convention, particularly the scope of protection provided to them.

PCHR believes that continuously targeting journalists while on duty with bullets and tear gas canisters proves that there is an Israeli policy to target journalists in order to prevent them from covering the Israeli suppression of the peaceful protestors, in violation of the rule of international humanitarian law.

PCHR emphasizes that the demonstrations are fully peaceful and civilians have the right to raise their voices against the Israeli forces and closure and enjoy their right to return. Thus, PCHR stresses that Israel shall be held accountable and prosecuted through investigating with it into these crimes.

PCHR also stresses that this ongoing policy by Israel violates the Rome STATUTE OF THE INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT (ICC) and Fourth Geneva Convention, and its practices qualify to war crimes. Thus, PCHR calls upon the ICC Prosecutor to open an official investigation into these crimes in addition to prosecuting and holding accountable all of those involved in issuing decisions and orders in the Israeli forces at the political and security level and those applying the orders.

PCHR asks for the presence of international observers from the United Nations (UN) bodies in the Gaza Strip to make sure that these demonstrations are totally peaceful and even if the Israeli authorities denied their access to Gaza, they can observe from the Israeli side of the borders.

PCHR calls for the prompt formation of an international commission of inquiry according to the UN Human Rights Council’s Resolution to investigate the crimes committed by the Israeli forces against unarmed civilians in the Return March activities.

PCHR also reiterates its call upon the High Contracting Parties to the 1949 Fourth Geneva Convention to fulfill their obligations under Article 1; i.e., to respect and ensure respect for the Convention in all circumstances and their obligations under Article 146 to prosecute persons alleged to commit grave breaches of the Fourth Geneva Convention.

PCHR calls upon Switzerland, in its capacity as the Depository State for the Convention, to demand the High Contracting Parties to convene a meeting and ensure Israel’s respect for this Convention, noting that these grave breaches constitute war crimes under Article 147 of the same Convention and Protocol (I) Additional to the Geneva Conventions regarding the guarantee of Palestinian civilians’ right to protection in the occupied territories.

(Source / 07.07.2018)