Israeli gunboats strike Gaza seashore

Strike Gaza seashore

Israeli occupation navy at daybreak Sunday hit Gaza’s coast with gunboat shells, in an attack targeting Palestinian fishermen in the besieged enclave.

Israeli warships moved into Gaza’s seashores and unleashed four shells. No injuries have been reported in the assault.

At the same time, Israeli drones have kept hovering over Gaza city, sparking terror in the blockaded coastal enclave.

(Source / 24.06.2018)

Child Suffers Amputations In His Fingers Due To Explosive

23 JUN
1:50 PM

Palestinian medical sources have reported that a child suffered amputations of fingers in his hand, after an explosive object, believed to be dropped by the Israeli army, detonated near him, in the Old City of Hebron, in the southern part of the occupied West Bank.

The child Abdul-Mohaymin Abdul-Mohsin Dweik, 14, suffered amputation of three fingers in his right hand, and serious injuries to two fingers.

Dweik also suffered to numerous cuts and bruises to several parts of his body, including his head, before he was rushed to Hebron Governmental Hospital.

It is worth mentioning that many Palestinians, including children, have been killed or seriously wounded, when explosives, dropped by the army during training, detonated near them, in Hebron, the Jordan Valley and several parts of the occupied West Bank.

Last month, the soldiers displaced two Palestinian Bedouin families from their homes in Khirbat Ibzeeq village, northeast of Tubas, in northeastern West Bank.

In January of this year, the soldiers shot a Palestinian child with a live round in the head, during “military training” near Tubas.

In many incidents, Palestinian families are ordered to leave their communities during the military drills, and later return after the army is done with its live-fire  training, including the use of explosives, which are sometimes left behind, leading to casualties, including fatalities.

(Source / 24.06.2018)

Corbyn Visits Palestinian Refugees; Vows to Recognize Palestinian State

24 JUN
1:21 AM

Jeremy Corbyn, the leader of the Labour Party in Britain, visited Palestinian refugee camps in Jordan Saturday and declared that if his party wins the country’s next election (in 2022), he will recognize the Palestinian state.

Corbyn wrote on Twitter, “The next Labour government will recognise Palestine as a state as one step towards a genuine two-state solution to the Israel-Palestine conflict”.

Before his visit to the camps, Corbyn wrote, “Today I’ll visit the Al-Baqa’a refugee camp which was first created in 1968, where 100,000 Palestinians live.”

This is not the first time that the British Labour Party has vowed to recognize Palestinian sovereignty. Most recently, after narrowly losing the 2017 election to Theresa May’s Conservative Party, Corbyn himself spoke in favor of Palestinian statehood.

That statement was made at an event protesting the hundredth anniversary of the Balfour Declaration, which was a declaration made in 1917 by Lord Balfour, the British Governor in Palestine at the time, declaring that the land could serve both as home to its existing residents (Palestinians and a small minority of Samaritans and Jews), and as a homeland for the Jewish people.

In addition to visiting refugees in the Al-Baqa’a camp, Corbyn also went to the Al Zaatari Refugee camp near Jordan’s border with Syria.

He visited the market in Al Zaatari, and also visited a solar power plant.

(Source / 24.06.2018)

Army Halts Construction Of Three Homes In Bethlehem

24 JUN
1:09 PM

Israeli soldiers invaded, Sunday, Nahhalin town, west of the West Bank city of Bethlehem, and handed orders for halting the construction of three Palestinian homes.

Hani Fannoun, the deputy mayor of Nahhalin, said the army targeted the under-construction 80 square/meter home of Ali Abdul-Hafeth Shakarna, the 120 square/meter home of Yousef Abdul-Rahman Fannoun, and the 90 square/meter home of Bassel Hussein Shakarna.

The army said the three homes were built without a permit from the Civil Administration office, run by the army in the occupied West Bank.

Fannoun said Israel is escalating its violations against the Palestinians in the area, by constant invasions, abductions, destruction of property, in addition to orders forbidding the Palestinians from building on their own lands.

He added that the violations are part of Israel’s seriously increasing attempts to illegally confiscate Palestinian lands, in addition to the demolition of homes and property to build and expand its colonies, illegally built in direct violation of International Law and the Fourth Geneva Convention.

(Source / 24.06.2018)

Israeli minister warns of new war on Gaza

Ayelet Shaked, Israel's Justice Minister of the far-right Jewish Home party [Wikipedia]

Ayelet Shaked, Israel’s Justice Minister of the far-right Jewish Home party

Israel’s Justice Minister has warned that the government might launch another war against the Gaza Strip because Palestinians continue to fly “incendiary kites” over Israeli farms, Quds Pressreported on Friday. Ayelet Shaked also accused Hamas of inflaming the situation in the besieged territory.

In response to Israel’s murderous attacks on peaceful demonstrators taking part in the Great March of Return protests since 30 March, the Palestinians have taken to flying kites with Molotov cocktails attached. Shaked said that Israel, which developed the iron dome anti-missile system, is able to develop a new system to take down the Palestinian kites. She claimed that the Palestinian children who fly kites are “terrorists” involved in “terrorism”.

The minister echoed similar remarks made by the Israel’s Public Security Minister, Gilad Erdan, who was reported by Haaretz on Thursday as saying that Israel might be “forced” to launch a “large-scale military operation” in the Gaza Strip. “I do not want to launch an operation, but there is a good chance that we will have no other option but to go in so that we can create durable deterrence,” he told Israeli Army Radio.

Erdan added that those who launch burning kites from Gaza should be shot, regardless of their age. “Age does not matter,” he insisted, “they are terrorists and the danger they create must be prevented.”

The Palestinians in the Gaza Strip continue to point out that their protests are entirely legitimate under international law. To call them terrorists, they insist, is not only inaccurate, but also an attempt by the Israelis and their supporters to deceive the world about the nature of the conflict in occupied Palestine.

(Source / 24.06.2018)

Trump adviser Kushner criticises Abbas, says US peace plan near

Jared Kushner (L), U.S President Donald Trump's son-in-law and adviser shakes hand with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu (R) prior to their meeting at the prime minister's office in occupied East Jerusalem, Israel on 24 August 2017. [Israeli Prime Ministry /Handout ]

Jared Kushner (L), U.S President Donald Trump’s son-in-law and adviser shakes hand with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu

Jared Kushner, US President Donald Trump’s senior adviser, said Washington would likely announce its Middle East peace plan even if Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas, angered by US policy so far, chose to remain on the sidelines.

In an interview that appeared in Arabic on Sunday in the Palestinian newspaper Al Quds, Kushner – who is meeting leaders in the region, but not Abbas – questioned his ability to make a deal and said the US proposal would be published soon.

Abbas has refused to see Trump’s team following his decision in December to recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel and to move the US Embassy there. The Palestinians want their own future state with a capital in East Jerusalem.

“If President Abbas is willing to come back to the table, we are ready to engage; if he is not, we will likely air the plan publicly,” Kushner said, according to an English-language transcript released in Washington.

“However, I do question how much President Abbas has the ability to, or is willing to, lean into finishing a deal. He has his talking points which have not changed in the last 25 years,” Kushner said.

Commenting on the interview, Nabil Abu Rdainah, a spokesman for Abbas, said: “The road to peace is clear – commitment to the two-state solution, a Palestinian state on the 1967 borders with Jerusalem as its capital. This is the road to any negotiations or any meetings.”

Kushner, who along with US envoy Jason Greenblatt, visited Jordan, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Egypt before talks on Friday and Saturday with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, said Arab leaders conveyed they wanted to see a Palestinian state.

The Trump administration has said it would support a two-state solution if both sides agree to it, but in the interview Kushner did not commit to Palestinian statehood, long the foundation of US policy in the region.

“I don’t want to speak about specifics of the deal we are working on,” Kushner said.

Core issues

The plan is expected to propose detailed solutions to core issues in dispute between the Israelis and Palestinians, such as borders, the future of Israeli settlements, the fate of Palestinian refugees and security.

Israel captured the West Bank, East Jerusalem and the Gaza Strip in the 1967 war. Israeli forces and settlers pulled out of the Gaza Strip, now controlled by Abbas’s main rival, the Islamist Hamas group, in 2005.

Most experts question whether Kushner, who is married to Trump’s daughter, Ivanka, and Greenblatt – both of whom have no diplomatic background – can achieve any deal in one of the world’s most intractable conflicts.

In the interview, which was headlined, “I am ready to work with President Abbas, if he wishes” and published in Arabic, Kushner gave a direct message to the Palestinian people:

“You deserve to have a bright future. Now is a time where both the Israelis and Palestinians must bolster and re-focus their leadership, to encourage them to be open towards a solution and to not be afraid of trying.”

(Source / 24.06.2018)

Gazan dies of wounds, death toll rises to 132

Israeli forces fire tear gas at Palestinian protesters at the Gaza and Israel border on 1 June 2018 [Mohammad Asad / Middle East Monitor]

Israeli forces fire tear gas at Palestinian protesters at the Gaza and Israel border on 1 June 2018

A Palestinian youth on Sunday succumbed to wounds he sustained from Israeli army fire during anti-occupation protests in the Gaza Strip, according to the Health Ministry.

Osama Khalil Abu Khater, 29, was injured in the abdomen during a rally held in Khan Younis city in the southern Gaza Strip on Friday, ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qidra said in a statement.

“The youth, however, died of his wounds today,” the spokesman said.

Sunday’s death brings to 132 the number of Palestinians martyred – along with thousands more injured – by Israeli gunfire since the protests began on March 30, according to the Palestinian Health Ministry.

Protesters demand the “right of return” to their homes in historical Palestine from which they were driven in 1948 to make way for the new state of Israel.

They also demand an end to Israel’s draconian blockade of the Gaza Strip, which has gutted the coastal enclave’s economy and deprived its two million inhabitants of many basic commodities.

(Source / 24.06.2018)

IOF arrest 13 Palestinians from West Bank

Night raids Jerusalem

Israeli Occupation Forces on Sunday overnight arrested 13 Palestinians in wide raid and arrest campaign in different areas of the occupied West Bank.

According to the Palestinian Prisoner’s Society (PPS), IOF arrested seven Palestinians, including former prisoners, after raiding Bethlehem city in southern West Bank.

In addition, IOF arrested three others from Tulkarm district, and one each from Qalqilya, Hebron, and Ramallah districts.

(Source / 24.06.2018)

Gilad Erdan wants to shut us down while attacking prisoners – we’ll keep fighting for Palestinian freedom

Just one week ago, Israeli Minister of Strategic Affairs and Public Security Gilad Erdan used his position to threaten Palestinian prisoners with even more repression, setting up a commission to discuss specifically how to make the lives of the over 6,000 imprisoned Palestinians even more difficult on a daily basis. And yesterday, Erdan – also charged with suppressing the global solidarity movement with Palestine, especially the boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) movement – released another image purporting to “map” leading BDS organizations and Palestine advocacy groups around the world, including Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network. 

Erdan wants to tighten the chains on Palestinian prisoners while seeking to incite government repression against the international organizations that fight for their freedom and the freedom of the Palestinian people. Samidoun is listed with 39 other Palestinian, U.S., Arab, African and European organizations, all involved in the growing BDS campaign around the world, in a presentation Erdan made to the “Global Coalition 4 Israel Forum.” Several of the Palestinian organizations targeted by Erdan, including Addameer, DCI-Palestine, al-Haq and PCHR, play key roles in defending Palestinians imprisoned and detained by the Israeli occupation. While Erdan seeks to depict our organizations as a “hate net,” Erdan himself is a leading promoter of hatred and racism against the Palestinians subjected to Israel’s colonial occupation.

In the view of Erdan – one of the leading officials of the settler-colonial, apartheid state – support for Palestinian freedom is “terrorism.” He’s denounced everyone from Samidoun to the African National Congress to Palestinian rights advocates and NGOs in Palestine and around the world for “terrorism” or ‘links to terror” – more accurately reflecting the “terror” of the Israeli state that its impunity could soon come to an end as a result of these international campaigns in support of the Palestinian people’s struggle.

Despite all of Erdan’s threats, blacklists and rhetoric – from his threats of “targeted assassinations” of Gaza protesters in the Great Return March to his promotion of Palestinian prisoners’ suffering – his efforts to block the boycott of Israel around the world are failing. Instead, despite blacklists and “terror” labels, more and more people are recognizing the real perpetrators of colonial state terror in occupied Palestine: that is, the regime Erdan represents. Far from stopping the international isolation of Israel, Erdan is in effect promoting it – making blacklists of human rights defenders, blocking international parliamentarians from visiting Palestine and using the “terrorism” label to attempt to incite repression against advocacy groups around the world.

The “Hate Net,” like similar attempts, is a failed attempt to intimidate activists and organizations that support Palestinian freedom in an attempt to preserve the impunity of Erdan and the colonial state he represents. This kind of rhetoric is only an inspiration to continue to build our work and advocacy to free Palestinian prisoners and free Palestine.

(Source / 24.06.2018)