Article asked on this date

You have found the article

Dagelijks archief 2 juni 2018

Palestinian shot, injured by Israeli snipers near southern Gaza Strip border

Injured by snipers

GAZA CITY (Ma’an) — A Palestinian was injured by Israeli forces along the eastern Gaza border on Saturday morning, in the southern Gaza Strip district of Khan Younis.Witnesses told a Ma’an that Israeli soldiers opened fire at several “youths” who approached the border fence in eastern Khuzaa, injuring one in the stomach.The wounded youth was transferred to the Nasser Hospital for treatment where his injury was reported as moderate.

On Friday, 21-year-old Palestinian medic Razan al-Najjar was shot in the stomach by Israeli forces while she was treating a group of wounded protesters. She was the 119th Palestinian to be killed by Israeli forces since the “Great March of Return” began on March 30.
The “Great March of Return” protests were launched by thousands of Palestinian civilians in Gaza — which has suffered from a decade-long Israeli siege — who took to the borders to demand their right of return as refugees to their original homelands, now in present-day Israel.
The weeks-long civilian protest was initially planned to end on May 15, the 70th anniversary of the Nakba, or “catastrophe,” when over 750,000 Palestinians were forcibly expelled from their homes and made refugees with the establishment of the state of Israel in 1948.
However, protests have continued since, and are expected to continue into the coming weeks.
Israel has come under widespread international condemnation for its use of excessive force and live ammunition against unarmed protesters.
(Source / 02.06.2018)

Israeli forces detain activist who filmed fatal shooting of Hebron man

Activist detained Hebron

HEBRON (Ma’an) — Israeli soldiers on Saturday briefly detained a local activist who filmed the fatal shooting of a Palestinian worker earlier in the morning in the southern occupied West Bank city of Hebron.

Locals told Ma’an that Israeli forces detained Aaref Jaber, who filmed the moment when Israeli forces shot and killed Rami Sabarneh, 36, was detained by Israeli forces and taken into the Kiryat Arba settlement in Hebron.
Official Palestinian Authority (PA)-owned Wafa news agency reported that Israeli forces confiscated Jaber’s phone.
#474212*Aaref Jaber
The Israeli army alleged that Sabarneh, who worked in construction in the area, attempted to run soldiers over with a bulldozer. However, no injuries were reported among the soldiers.
Jaber denied the Israeli army’s account, saying that “Sabarneh was driving a Bobcat excavator while another worker walked next to him, Israeli soldiers asked them to stop when he was at least 10 meters away from them, the walking worker stopped, but Sabarneh apparently did not hear the soldiers and continued his way so they opened fire at him until he was killed.”
Last week, Israeli lawmakers proposed a new bill in the Israeli Knesset that would criminalize the photographing or recording of Israeli soldiers while on duty.
The bill was proposed with the support of right-wing Israeli Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman, and if passed, those found in violation of the law could face a prison sentence of up to five years.
(Source / 02.06.2018)

Amnesty: Forcible transfer of Palestinian Bedouins war crime

Transfer Bedouins

The Israeli authorities must immediately cancel plans to demolish the Palestinian Bedouin village of Khan al-Ahmar and the forcible eviction of the community living there, said Amnesty International, ahead of the anticipated arrival of bulldozers on 1 June after the demolition was authorized by Israel’s Supreme Court last week.

Residents of the village are set to be transferred to a site near the former Jerusalem municipal garbage dump near the village of Abu Dis.

“Last week’s outrageous decision by the Supreme Court to allow the Israeli army to demolish the entire village of Khan al-Ahmar was a devastating blow to the families who have spent nearly a decade campaigning and fighting a legal battle to remain on their land and maintain their way of life. Going ahead with the demolition is not only cruel, it would also amount to forcible transfer, which is a war crime,” said Amnesty International’s Deputy Director for the Middle East and North Africa, Magdalena Mughrabi.

“The Israeli authorities have shattered thousands of Palestinian lives, exposing men, women and children to years of trauma and anxiety through their deeply discriminatory policy of first denying building permits, and then bulldozing people’s homes, schools, and herding structures,” said Magdalena Mughrabi. “Instead of consistently punishing Palestinians for building without permits, the Israeli authorities must stop their construction and expansion of illegal settlements in the West Bank as a first move towards removing Israeli civilians living in such settlements.”

“The Supreme Court’s ruling is extremely dangerous and may set a precedent for other communities that oppose Israeli plans to relocate them to urban centres. The Israeli authorities must abide by their international legal obligations and abandon any plans to forcibly transfer Khan al-Ahmar and any other communities.”

Khan al-Ahmar is inhabited by about 180 residents from the Jahalin Bedouin tribe. It is surrounded by several illegal Israeli settlements east of Occupied Jerusalem.

For more than 60 years, members of the Jahalin Bedouin tribe have been struggling to maintain their way of life. Forced from their lands in the Negev desert in the 1950s, they have been continually harassed, pressured and resettled by successive Israeli governments, Amnesty’s report read.

In late August 2017, Israeli Minister of Defence Avigdor Lieberman announced that the Israeli government would evacuate the entire community within several months. On 24 May, Israel’s Supreme Court ruled in favor of demolishing the entire village of Khan al Ahmar, including its school which is constructed from rubber tyre and provides education for some 170 children from five different Bedouin communities.

The Court ruled that the village was built without relevant building permits, even though these are impossible for Palestinians to obtain in the Israeli-controlled areas of the occupied West Bank known as Area C.

Khan al-Ahmar is located about two kilometres south of Kfar Adumin settlement in the occupied West Bank. The Bedouin community living there suffers from recurring Israeli settler violence, including on children, as well as attacks on their homes. The Israeli authorities have refused to connect the village to water and electricity supplies, and have restricted their grazing land.

Since 1967, Israel has forcibly evicted and displaced entire communities and demolished more than 50,000 Palestinian homes and structures.

(Source / 02.06.2018)

President Mustafa Meets Germany’s Syria Envoy & Discuss Ways to Support SIG’s Work in Liberated Areas

President of the Syrian Coalition Abdurrahman Mustafa met with Germany’s Special Envoy to Syria Nicolai Herman and discussed with him the crimes the Assad regime is committing against civilians as well as the worsening tragedy of the forcibly displaced people and the Coalition’s plan of action in the liberated areas.

Mustafa said that there are large a number of displaced persons in northern Aleppo who were displaced from Raqqa, Deir Ezzor, eastern Ghouta, Homs and Qalamoun, pointing out that this caused the area to be very densely populated.

Mustafa added that the forcibly displaced people are not receiving sufficient support and that they are sharing tents amid lack of essential services. He expressed hope that their plight will be soon addressed so that they can receive support through the Syrian Interim Government (SIG) and local councils.

The presence of the Coalition’s executive institutions in the liberated areas can ease the suffering of civilians through the provision of basic services, Mustafa said. Her added: “Through our action plan we are seeking to be close to the social base and the armed opposition groups and supervise them directly.”

Mustafa reaffirmed the Coalition’s commitment to the integrity of Syrian territory and the political process in accordance with the Geneva Communique of 2012 and UN Security Council resolution 2254. He noted that the Syrian Coalition keeps regular, constant contacts with the Syrian Negotiations Commission.

Mustafa highlighted two points, the first of which is Law No. 10, which he said is aimed at consolidating demographic change and preventing the return of refugees. The second issue is the Assad regime’s taking over of the presidency of the United Nations Forum on Chemical and Nuclear Disarmament, which Mustafa denounced as representing a shock to the conscience of humanity and a deep betrayal of victims of Assad’s brutal attacks against civilians.

For his part, Herman said his country would follow up on the possible implications of Law No. 10, adding that the issue is being discussed by the European Union in all its aspects and by the member states of the European Union.

(Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department / 02.06.2018)

‘Mole?’: Abbas dismisses claim he was Soviet agent

Israeli researchers say they have uncovered a document showing Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas was a Soviet agent in the 1980s, but his office called it a smear campaign and pointed to suspicious timing.

The claim first emerged in a report by Israeli public television on Wednesday night citing two researchers studying documents from the so-called Mitrokhin papers stored in Britain at Cambridge University’s Churchill Archives Centre.

The researchers, Gideon Remez and Isabella Ginor of the Truman Institute at Jerusalem’s Hebrew University, said he was named as a KGB agent in Damascus in 1983 under the codename “Mole”.

Remez said Abbas was not simply labelled a “source or collaborator.”

“It says explicitly regarding Abbas that he was a KGB agent,” said Remez.

Abbas spokesman Nabil Abu Rudeineh told AFP it “falls under the framework of Israeli absurdities which we have got used to,” calling it a “smear campaign.”

He also alleged it was an attempt to derail a Russian peace initiative.

“It is clear Israel is troubled by the (Palestinians’) strategic relationship with Russia and by the clear and announced Russian position, which is to solve the Palestinian-Israeli conflict on the basis on an independent Palestinian state and the right of self-determination for our people,” Abu Rudeineh said.

Abbas was born in what was then British mandate Palestine, but his family fled to Syria du ring the 1948 war surrounding the creation of Israel.

In 1980, Abbas was selected to sit on the Palestine Liberation Organisation executive committee. He had been in Moscow in 1982, where he studied for his doctorate, according to his online biography.

The Mitrokhin Archive, where the document was said to have been found, is based on files of the Soviet spy agency KGB that were smuggled to Britain.

Major Vasili Mitrokhin was a senior archivist in the KGB’s foreign intelligence archive from 1972 until his retirement in 1984, and, disillusioned with domestic Soviet oppression, secretly copied information by hand, before defecting to Britain with it in 1992.

Russian peace effort

An Israeli specialist in Soviet history said the claim regarding Abbas was plausible.

“There were numerous contacts in the Middle East with the former Soviet Union,” said Yaacov Roi of the University of Tel Aviv.

“It is very plausible that the Soviets would have tried to use Abu Mazen (Abbas) at the KGB while he was a student.”

The report comes as Russian President Vladimir Putin seeks to organise a face-to-face meeting between Abbas and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.

Putin’s Middle East envoy Mikhail Bogdanov met with both Netanyahu and Palestinian officials this week. He also reportedly met Abbas in Jordan three weeks ago.

The television report recalled that Bogdanov was stationed in Damascus in 1983. His official CV online shows that he was in Syria between 1983 and 1989.

Abbas claimed earlier this week that a meeting with Netanyahu had been set for Friday, but he said that an aide to the Israeli premier proposed delaying it and it was called off.

Netanyahu has repeated his position — he is ready to meet Abbas anytime, anywhere, as long as it is without preconditions.

Palestinian leaders have previously called for the release of prisoners, a deadline for the end of the occupation of the West Bank and a halt to Israeli settlement building as conditions for talks.

It is unclear whether Abbas has stuck to those demands.

Peace efforts have been at a standstill since a US-led initiative collapsed in April 2014.

The last substantial public meeting between Abbas and Netanyahu is thought to have been in 2010, although there have been unconfirmed reports of secret meetings since then.

(Source / 02.06.2018)

Kuwait to go to GA for protection of Palestinians

Kuwait to GA

The Kuwaiti ambassador to the United Nations Mansour Al-Otaibi vowed to go to the General Assembly for the protection of Palestinians after a draft resolution of his delegation for that purpose was vetoed by the United States.

Earlier Friday, the UNSC voted on a Kuwait-drafted resolution calling for setting up an international protection for the Palestinian people following the killing of dozens of peaceful Palestinian protestors by Israeli forces in Gaza.

Out of the council’s 15 members, 10 voted in favor, including France, and only the US voted against. There were four abstentions including Britain.

“We will consider going to the General Assembly, going to other UN bodies to try to find a way to provide international protection for the Palestinian civilians,” Al-Otaibi told reporters..

Al-Otaibi said he was disappointed by the U.S. veto of his delegation’s draft resolution.

Ten of the 15 members of the Security Council voted in favor of the Kuwaiti draft, and only the United States voted against it, he noted.

(Source / 02.06.2018)

MP Abu Salem, others kidnapped in IOF raids on W. Bank homes

MP Abu Salem

The Israeli occupation forces (IOF) at dawn Friday kidnapped nine Palestinian citizens, including a lawmaker, during raids on homes in the West Bank.

Local sources told the Palestinian Information Center (PIC) that an Israeli military force broke into and ransacked the house of MP Ibrahim Abu Salem (the parliamentary bloc of Hamas) in Bir Nabala town, northwest of Occupied Jerusalem, and rounded him up.

MP Abu Salem already spent about 10 years in Israeli jails after his exposure to arrest 11 times. His current arrest rose the number of Palestinian lawmakers in Israeli prisons to seven, four of them from the Change and Reform Bloc of Hamas.

Meanwhile, al-Khalil city and its villages reportedly saw a heated night of confrontations between local young men and Israeli soldiers during an arrest campaign that targeted ex-detainees and Hamas figures and members.

In the southern neighborhoods of al-Khalil, violent clashes between youths and soldiers took place after a horde of Jewish settlers physically assaulted a Palestinian young man as he was going back home from the Ibrahimi Mosque in the city.

Several citizens reportedly suffered from their exposure to tear gas fumes during the clashes.

The IOF also stormed and pillaged several homes in the areas of Ras al-Jura, Ayn Sara and Wadi al-Jawz, where four young men from al-Qawasmeh family were taken prisoners, including two brothers.

Another Palestinian citizen called Saleh Awad was kidnapped from his home during an IOF campaign in Yatta city, south of al-Khalil.

Soldiers also clashed with young men after raiding homes in al-Zeitun suburb and Kurbet Zaheda area in al-Khalil.

Similar skirmishes with troops also took place during IOF raids in Yatta city, and the towns of Beit Ula and Nuba in al-Khalil.

The PIC was told that the IOF kidnapped Sheikh Anwar Harb, a senior Hamas official, and teacher Mahmoud al-Sharif from their homes in Nuba town.

In Salfit, the IOF detained a young man called Muhanad al-Zeir after summoning him for interrogation.

(Source / 02.06.2018)

Health ministry: IOF deliberately killed paramedic Razan Annajjar

Razan An-Najjar

The Palestinian ministry of health has accused the Israeli occupation forces (IOF) of premeditatedly shooting and killing a female volunteer paramedic during her presence on the Gaza border on Friday.

In a statement, the ministry said that paramedic Razan Annajjar was shot dead while trying to save the lives of some wounded protesters near the border fence east of Khan Younis after Israeli forces barred ambulances from evacuating them.

21-year-old Razan Annajjar was killed and dozens suffered bullet and tear gas injuries when the IOF attacked on Friday their March or Return rallies on the Gaza border.

(Source / 02.06.2018)

IOF orders halt of school construction south of Jenin

School Jenin

The Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) ordered on Saturday a halt on the construction of a school in the village of Mreiha, near Ya’bad town to the south of Jenin, in northern West Bank, local sources said.

Local sources told PIC reporter that Israeli forces confiscated the working equipment from the site and ordered the construction to stop, for allegedly being built without an Israeli construction permit.

Ya’bad Municipal Council strongly condemned the Israeli order and vowed to continue the construction of the school despite of the Israeli order, the sources added.

(Source / 02.06.2018)

Palestinian shot by IOF, killed in al-Khalil

Killed in al-Khalil

A Palestinian young man was shot dead Saturday by the Israeli occupation forces (IOF) near the Ibrahimi Mosque in al-Khalil city in the southern West Bank.

An Israeli army spokesman claimed in a statement that a Palestinian man attempted to run over Israeli soldiers in al-Khalil before he was shot dead. No casualties were reported among the soldiers.

Earlier reports said that the young man was shot by an Israeli settler.

The Palestinian Red Crescent society said that the IOF prevented its crews from reaching the injured man to save his life.

Safa news agency reported, quoting activist Mohammed Awad, that the IOF shot Rami Sabarneh, 35, near a military checkpoint in Jaber neighborhood in al-Khalil while he was riding a bulldozer.

Awad said that Sabarneh works for a construction company and he is a father of two children.

The Israeli forces have repeatedly carried out field executions against Palestinian youths in the West Bank and Jerusalem under the pretext that they were attempting anti-Israel attacks.

(Source / 02.06.2018)