Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network urges all supporters of Palestine and the freedom of Palestinian prisoners to participate in the events and actions around the world commemorating the 70th anniversary of al-Nakba and supporting the #GreatReturnMarch in Gaza. For 70 years, Palestinians have faced ethnic cleansing, forced displacement, massacres, imprisonment and racist oppression – a continuation of the previous 30 years of British colonization. Those past 70 years have also been years of resistance, organizing and struggle for the liberation of the land and people of Palestine.
Imprisonment has always been a part of the colonial weaponry used against the Palestinian people. From the imprisonment of Palestinians by the British colonial authorities – which inspired some of the songs and poetry that still remain symbols of the Palestinian prisoners’ movement today – to the imprisonment of thousands of Palestinians and the use of forced labor camps during the Nakba, prisons and resistance to them have been a part of the Palestinian liberation struggle.
As the Nakba continued, Palestinians struggling to return were labeled “infiltrators,” killed and imprisoned by the Zionist state. Throughout 70 years of struggle, the leaders and organizers of the Palestinian people – fighters, labor organizers, teachers, poets, writers, student and women’s movement leaders, farmers, workers, fishers – have been imprisoned in their hundreds of thousands by the Zionist state and have continued their resistance. The prisons have become symbols and spaces of oppression and also places to organize resistance, educate young people and build revolutionary schools to develop the struggle.
Today, 49 Palestinians have been shot down in the Gaza Strip at the 1948 armistice line, delineating the arbitrary enclave into which Palestinian refugees were ethnically cleansed by Zionist militias, and later the Israeli army, where they have gathered as part of tens of thousands participating in the Great March of Return, demanding their right to return to their homes and lands and the breaking of the siege on Gaza. As Palestinians mark 70 years of ongoing Nakba, they will march again facing brutal live fire and repression that has severely wounded thousands.
To support the march for return on the anniversary of the Nakba, broad participation in the numerous events and actions around the world is essential. Samidoun Palestinian Prisoner Solidarity Network urges supporters of Palestine around the world to mobilize on the anniversary of the Nakba to march alongside the Great March of Return and the millions of Palestinian refugees in exile and diaspora who struggle for their right to return home, the key to Palestinian liberation.
Send your events and actions to us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Facebook to tell us about your actions in response to the Land Day Massacre and for Palestinian Prisoners’ Day.
See our constantly-updated calendar of events!
The following signs can be used in your own local events and actions. PDF download links are provided below!
1 – Right to Resist – Right to Return – Download PDF
2 – End Israel’s War on Palestinian Journalists – Download PDF
3 – Right to Resist – Right to Return – Download PDF
- International: World Keffiyeh Day – 2018
- Long Beach: Al-Awda 13th Annual Conference
- Amsterdam: Nakba commemoration on the Dam
- Chicago: 70th Commemoration of the Nakba
- NYC: Emergency Demonstration – Stop the Slaughter in Gaza
- Geneva: Rally for Gaza
- London: Stand Up for Gaza – Stop the Killing
- Athens: Demonstration in Solidarity with the Palestinian Struggle
- London: Palestine on the Thames – Nakba in my Present
- Strasbourg: Protest for the March of Return and Palestinian Sumoud
- Caen: Protest for the March of Return and Palestinian Sumoud
- Villeneuve D’Ascq: Protest for the March of Return and Palestinian Sumoud
- St-Girons: Protest for the March of Return and Palestinian Sumoud
- Grenoble: Protest for the March of Return and Palestinian Sumoud
- Douai: Protest for the March of Return and Palestinian Sumoud
- Long Beach: Al-Awda 13th Annual Conference
- NYC: Anti-War Protest and Petitioning for Gaza
- Rotterdam: 70 Jaar Nakba
- Boston: Remember and Resist – 70 Years of Ethnic Cleansing in Palestine
- Berlin: Palestinian Day at Hermannplatz
- Edinburgh: National Nakba Commemoration Scotland
- Cologne: Rally to commemorate 70 years of Nakba
- Toronto: Rally for Gaza and Commemoration of 70 Years of Nakba
- London: Protest Nakba70 – Expose BBC Lies on the #GreatReturnMarch
- San Francisco: 70 Years of Palestinian Resistance and Resilience
- Austin: Nakba Day Return March
- Gothenburg: Demonstration to support the Palestinian cause
- Dallas: Nakba Day 2018
- Houston: Nakba Day 2018
- Belfast: Support the Right of Return Rally
- Rome: National Demonstration for Palestine
- Toulouse: March in support of the Great Return March and Palestinian Sumoud
- Paris: Great Rally for Palestine and to support the March of Return
- Lyon: Support the Great Return March – Stop Israeli Crimes
- Koblenz: 70 Years of Nakba, the Palestinian Catastrophe
- Milan: Remember the Nakba, Denounce Zionism
- Vienna: Remember 70 Years of Nakba
- Brussels: ViaVelo Palestina 2018 + Nakba 70 Commemoration
- Madrid: Popular solidarity race for Palestine
- Manchester: Nakba@70 – Nakba Commemoration Event & Rally
- Malmo: Al-Nakba – 70 years of exile
- Calgary: Remembering the Nakba
- Copenhagen: 70 Years – We will never forget al-Nakba!
- Philadelphia: Palestinian Great March of Return – Solidarity Rally
- Bay Ridge, Brooklyn: Jerusalem is Palestinian! Rally to end 70 years of colonialism
- Montreal: Nakba 70 Action
- Milwaukee: Nakba70 Rally and March
- Prague: Protest against US Embassy Move, 70 Years of Nakba, Killings in Gaza
- Athens: Solidarity with Palestinians against Israeli Occupation
- London: Protest at the US Embassy for #Nakba70 and Right of Return
- Detroit: Nakba Day – Jerusalem is (still) the capital of Palestine!
- Berlin: 70 Years of Nakba
- Window Rock: Nakba: Diné Solidarity with Great Return March
- Cape Town: National Protest for the #GreatReturnMarch and Against Israeli Apartheid
- Vancouver: Mark Nakba70 – End Canadian Complicity
- Johannesburg: Palestine Picket at the US Consulate
- Winnipeg: Al-Nakba 70 – Hope Lives in Remembrance
- Odense: Commemoration of al-Nakba
- Aalborg: We will never forget al-Nakba!
- Washington DC: 70 Years too Long – Nakba Vigil and Storytelling
- Oslo: Marking the Nakba, 70 Years of Exile
- Gothenburg: Demonstration for Palestine
- Stockholm: 70 years of displacement – Rally for a Free Palestine
- London: Nakba Candlelight Vigil 1948-2018
- Athens: 70 Years of Nakba, the struggle continues until the liberation of Palestine
- Sydney: Protest for Palestine – 70 Years of Nakba
- Malmo: Film and Conversation – Al Nakba, 70 Years of Exile
- Manchester: Solidarity with Student Prisoners! Resist political detention!
- Montevideo: 70 Years of Al-Nakba, 70 Years of Resistance
- Sevilla: Nakba – 70 years of the occupation of Palestine
- Valladolid: Rally to commemorate Al-Nakba
- Copenhagen: Nakba=Catastrophe
- Helsinki: Commemorate 70 Years of Nakba
(Source / 13.05.2018)