Article asked on this date

You have found the article

Maandelijks archief april 2018

Arrests, home break-ins reported in West Bank sweep by Israel army

again wb sweeps

Several Palestinians were kidnapped by the Israeli occupation forces (IOF) in a predawn sweep rocking the West Bank and Jerusalem.

The Israeli army claimed in a statement responsibility for the abduction of 19 Palestinians on allegations of involvement in anti-occupation activities.

The Israeli military claimed weapons were detected in Jerusalem’s Abu Dis town following a round of home break-ins carried out in the area.

The IOF also kidnapped seven Palestinians from the southern occupied West Bank province of al-Khalil and nine others from the northern West Bank.

Israeli patrols rolled into Qalqilya and kidnapped the young man Mahmoud Shteiwi from his family home.

The IOF also stormed Qalqilya’s eastern town of Azzoun and kidnapped two Palestinian young men shortly after it wreaked havoc on civilian homes and closed off the main entrances to the town.

Meanwhile, the occupation forces ravaged civilian homes in Araq Burin town, south of Nablus, and also in Jenin province.

The IOF kidnapped two more Palestinians from Ramallah and Salfit.

At the same time, three Palestinian young men were kidnapped by the IOF from the Jenin refugee camp.

The campaign culminated in the abduction of nine Palestinians from Occupied Jerusalem, seven among whom from al-Issawiya town and two others from the Shu’fat refugee camp.

(Source /  23.04.2018)

Israel issues 338 administrative detention orders

338 detention orders

Israeli authorities have issued 338 administrative detention orders since the beginning of 2018, the Palestinian Center for Prisoners’ Studies said on Monday.

The center pointed out that from among the 338 orders, 222 were renewals of detentions of prisoners already held by the occupation.

However, 116 orders were issued against Palestinians detained for the first time or re-detained.

Israel’s widely condemned policy of administrative detention allows internment without charge or trial in maximum six-month long renewable intervals based on undisclosed evidence that even a detainee’s lawyer is barred from viewing.

Rights groups have claimed that Israel’s detention policy has been used as an attempt to disrupt Palestinian political processes, notably targeting Palestinian politicians, activists, and journalists.

According to prisoners rights group Addameer, 6,500 Palestinians are being imprisoned in Israeli jails, more than of 500 of whom are held under administrative detention.

(Source / 23.04.2018)

Sharp rise in attacks against Palestinians by Israeli settlers

Sharp increase attacks

There has been a sharp increase in the number of attacks by Jewish extremists against Palestinians in the West Bank this year, Haaretz Hebrew newspaper reported.

According to data from the Israeli Shin Bet intelligence service, number of Israeli settlers’ hate crimes in 2018 has already exceeded the total number in 2017, with attacks centered around the Nablus area.

The report referred to a surge in “price tag” incidents, characterized by acts of vandalism such as graffiti or vehicle defamation.

There have been 13 attacks of this kind since January 2018 compared to 8 the year before. Attacks defined as “at least as serious as arson” are also said to be overtaking those of last year.

In 2018, two attacks of this nature have occurred, whilst in 2017 the total reached five, according to the Shin Bet.

Only a few weeks ago, a mosque in the West Bank village of Aqraba close to Nablus was vandalized  by Israeli settlers. The words “revenge” and “price tag” were sprayed onto the mosque walls in Hebrew. There were also reports of attackers throwing flammable materials and shouting racist slogans.

(Source / 23.04.2018)

Palestinians ‘need popular units’ in face of settlers’ attacks in occupied West Bank

Israeli forces stand in front of Jewish settlers who are harassing Palestinians in the West Bank [Wisam Hashlamoun/Apaimages]

Israeli forces stand in front of Jewish settlers who are harassing Palestinians in the West Bank

Palestinian factions in the West Bank called on Sunday for the formation of “national units” to face the attacks by extremist Jewish settlers on villages and neighbourhoods across the occupied territory, Quds Press has reported. According to Isam Baker, the coordinator of the factions in Ramallah, this call comes after an increase in the number of settlers’ attacks on the Palestinians and their properties, including mosques, cemeteries and vehicles.

The popular units, explained Baker, would work within the “spirit” of the first intifada and the village councils for their basic needs. Guarding the villages at night, the units would warn the people of any attacks by settlers.

The factions, noted Baker, are calling for the reinforcement of national unity and plan to hold a protest in front of the Red Cross Headquarters on Tuesday in solidarity with Palestinian prisoners held under administrative detention by Israel. They also called for the Palestinians in the West Bank to take to the streets next Friday to match the Great March of Return demonstrations being staged in Gaza to reinforce the right of return.

Attacks by Jewish Israeli settlers, mainly those by gangs under the “Price Tag” banner, have increased recently. The latest attack took place last night in Beith Eksa village, to the north-west of occupied Jerusalem. The group behind such attacks is encouraged and supported by local rabbis, and has never been punished by Israel’s occupation authorities. Israeli peace activists and journalists have revealed the links between the “Price Tag” gangs and Israeli officials on several occasions.

Read: Israel soldiers joined in as settlers assaulted Palestinians

(Source / 23.04.2018)

Israel defence minister gives ‘absolute support’ to snipers shooting Palestinian protesters

Avigdor Lieberman,, Israel’s Defence Minister

Israel’s Defence Minister Avigdor Lieberman yesterday expressed his “absolute support” for the Israeli soldiers who have been shooting Palestinian protesters in the occupied Gaza Strip in recent weeks.

On Friday, Israeli snipers shot and killed four Palestinians (with a fifth succumbing to his wounds on Sunday night), including a 14-year-old child, Mohammad Ayoub.

Lieberman said that Israeli soldiers had done nothing wrong.

“I was there myself and saw how the soldiers were operating. The way our soldiers function inspires respect,” the defence minister stated, adding that “there is absolute support for IDF soldiers and every incident is investigated.”

Lieberman also blasted the European Union for calling for an investigation into Ayoub’s death, claiming that “Hamas heads” are “hiding behind women and children”.

Read: Thousands of Palestinians in Israel participate in March of Return

Ayoub was shot in the head some distance from the Gaza Strip perimeter fence, which marks the 1967 armistice lines between Israel and the occupied Palestinian territory.

The Israeli army has acknowledged that the minor was shot while merely approaching the fence.

Since 30 March, “Great Return of March” protests have been suppressed with live fire, causing dozens of fatalities and some 5,000 injuries, including more than 1,000 gunshot wounds.

Israeli snipers shoot at Palestinians and Press during protest - Cartoon [Sabaaneh/MiddleEastMonitor]

(Source / 23.04.2018)

Knesset deputy speaker: Ahed Tamimi should have been shot in the kneecap

Ahed Al-Tamimi can be seen protesting during a demonstration against Israel's treatment on Palestinians [2 Suns Shamsaan/Facebook]

Ahed Al-Tamimi can be seen protesting during a demonstration against Israel’s treatment on Palestinian

Israeli lawmaker and deputy Knesset speaker Bezalel Smotrich said on Saturday that Palestinian child prisoner Ahed Tamimi should have been shot, reported Haaretz.

Responding to a tweet by Israeli journalist Yinon Magal, who wrote he was “so glad that Tamimi is still in jail”, the Jewish Home parliamentarian replied:

In my opinion, she should have gotten a bullet, at least in the kneecap. That would have put her under house arrest for the rest of her life.

Tamimi, from Nabi Saleh in the occupied West Bank, was arrested in a night raid last December, and ultimately convicted of, among other things, “assaulting” a soldier.

MK Michal Rozin (Meretz) responded angrily to Smotrich, tweeting: “You should be ashamed of yourself! Should the hilltop youth from Samaria [West Bank settlers] who threw stones at IDF soldiers last week also have been shot?” adding: “Oh, I forgot – the law is different for enemies…”.

Read: Video shows interrogation of Ahed Tamimi without a lawyer

Ahed Tamimi, the Palestinian girl who was arrested for slapping and humiliating Israeli soldiers - Cartoon [Mahmoud Hendawi]

(Source / 23.04.2018)

Rights group: Morsi will die if violations against him continue

Egypt’s ousted President Mohamed Morsi attends a trial session in Cairo, Egypt on February 26, 2017 [Moustafa El Shemy/Anadolu Agency]

Egypt’s ousted President Mohamed Morsi attends a trial session in Cairo, Egypt on 26 February 2017

Ousted Egypt President Mohamed Morsi will die in prison if violations against him continue, a Swiss based human rights group has warned in a new report.

Morsi has been subjected to systemtic violations which amount to crimes against humanity, the Organization for Protection of Human Rights said in a publication entitled “Dr. Mohamed Morsi … I am threatened”.

According to the report, the violations against Morsi include medical negligence which directly threatens his life as well as not allowing him to meet with his relatives or lawyer.

The organisation noted that it has monitored the violations suffered by Morsi since the coup on 3 July 2013.

The report described the charges against him as “political”, adding that it is “as if the main goal is for the man to die in his prison”.

Read: Morsi’s health ‘has deteriorated severely’

(Source / 23.04.2018)

Israel settlers attack Palestinian families in Hebron

Image of Israeli settlers in West Bank on 31 August 2010 [Mamoun Wazwaz/Apaimages]

Image of Israeli settlers in West Bank on 31 August 2010

A group of Israeli settlers attacked Palestinian families and attempted to take over two homes on Saturday in the southern occupied West Bank city of Hebron.

Local activist Aref Jaber told Ma’an that a group of Israeli settlers “attacked” two homes in the Old City and attempted to take them over, demanding the families leave their homes.

The homes belonged to the Jaber and Kfeisheh families.

Jaber added that the same group of settlers had previously taken over a home belonging to the Al-Zaatari family, near the Ibrahimi Mosque in the Old City.

“These continuous threats by Israeli settlers are meant to terrify Palestinian families in order to force them to leave their homes.”

Read: Israel settlers call for ‘death to Arabs’ on violent spree

Some 6,500 Palestinians and 800 notoriously aggressive Israeli settlers live in the Old City of Hebron, according to a 2016 report by legal rights NGO BADIL.

Palestinian residents of the Old City face a large Israeli military presence on a daily basis, with at least 32 permanent and partial checkpoints set up at the entrances of many streets.

Additionally, Palestinians are not allowed access to Al-Shuhada Street, with any homes and shops on the street having been welded shut. Israeli settlers however move freely on the street.

The Israeli occupation “expropriated” large areas of the Ibrahimi Mosque and allocated it for Jewish use only following the 25 February 1994 massacre of Muslim worshippers by a settler. US-born Israeli Baruch Goldstein walked into the Ibrahimi mosque in Hebron armed with a Galil assault rifle.

Read: Israel soldiers joined in as settlers assaulted Palestinians

Goldstein opened fire at the hundreds of Muslim worshippers who were at the mosque during Ramadan, the month of fasting. He reloaded at least once, continuing his barrage for as long as possible before finally being overpowered and eventually beaten to death. By the time he was stopped, 29 worshippers were killed, and more than a hundred had been injured.

In response, Israeli occupation forces set up a “closed military zone” around the mosque, restricting Muslim access to it, and “annexed” a large area of it for settler use.

(Source / 23.04.2018)

Palestinians file complaint to UN over Israel violation of anti-racism convention

Israeli forces arrest a Palestinian man

Palestinians have filed a complaint to the UN against Israel for numerous violations including breaches of its obligations under international anti-racism treaty.

The move, which is likely to trigger a lengthy and high-profile investigation by world bodies monitoring racism and discrimination, was handed to the UN  by the Palestinian ambassador to the international organisation, Ibrahim Khraishi, to the body that monitors the implementation of the UN convention against racism.

In the 350 page document seen by the Guardian, which accuses Israel of establishing an apartheid regime, Palestinians say that Israel is implementing policies that have “the common aim of displacing and replacing the Palestinian people for the purpose of maintaining a colonial occupation”.

Palestinians list a number of Israeli violations in the occupied territories and accuse Israel of seeking to maintain “a Jewish demographic majority in the entirety of historic Palestine”.

“Not only is the purpose of the settlement regime discriminatory in itself, it is further maintained by a system of discriminatory measures, severely depriving Palestinians of their fundamental rights,” the report says.

When Israel invited a South African Nazi on a state visit

The complaint sent to the UN is over violations of the 1979 UN Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination. Israel has ratified the convention and Palestinians, who were granted UN observer status in 2014, filed the complaint which is believed to be the first interstate complaint filed under the treaty.

The convention is monitored by the Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination, a body of 18 independent experts that is now tasked with assessing the complaint. Israel will now be required to submit written explanations within three months, including any remedies it has taken. The committee could then move to investigate the claims.

According to Ammar Hijazi, from the Palestinian ministry of foreign affairs, the complaint “does not reach the level of a court order.” Hijazi added that the finding that Israel had breached the treaty would oblige other signatories to the convention, which include the US, to “ensure that such practices are not continued”, reported the Guardian.

#PalestinianLivesMatter

In their list of complaints Palestinians say that they are severely limited in their freedom of movement compared to Israeli settlers and are subject to “confiscation and seizure” of their land, including home demolitions.

In addition to the violations relating to the right to equal treatment under the law, Palestinians claim that Israel is in breach of article 3 of the convention, which prohibits racial segregation and apartheid. “It is clear that Israel’s acts are part of a widespread and oppressive regime that is institutionalised and systematic; that accords separate and unequal treatment to Palestinians,” the summary says, calling for the dismantling of all existing Israeli settlements.

UN envoy to Israel: ‘Stop shooting at children’

(Source / 23.04.2018)

Palestinian Teen Dies From Wounds Suffered On April 1st In Gaza

23 APR
10:42 AM

The Palestinian Health Ministry has reported that a Palestinian teenager died, Monday, from very serious wounds he suffered, on April 1st, after Israeli soldiers shot him during a nonviolent protest near the border fence, in Khuza’a village, east of Khan Younis, in the southern part of the Gaza Strip.

The Ministry said the Palestinian, Tahrir Mahmoud Wahba, 18, was shot in the head during a nonviolent procession, and remained in a very serious condition until his death at the European Hospital, in Khan Younis, in the southern part of the Gaza Strip.

The Palestinian, who is also deaf and cannot speak, was shot near the border fence east of Khuza’a town, east of Khan Younis. He was from Tal al-Sultan area, in nearby  Rafah.

“My son cannot speak or hear, and I frequently tried to prevent him from protesting near the border area,” his mother said, “But he would get angry, and shake his head, refusing to stay home, and insisting on being part of the struggle.”

On Sunday at night, a young man, identified as Abdullah Mohammad Shamali, 20, from al-Barazil neighborhood, in Rafah died from serious wounds he suffered after Israeli soldiers shot him, Friday, April 27th.

The Health Ministry stated that the soldiers have killed 39 Palestinians, and injured more than 5000, including 138 who suffered serious wounds, since the “Great March of Return” protests started on Palestinian Land Day, on March 30th, 2018.

(Source / 23.04.2018)