Israel holds 340 Palestinian students: Minister

Students who support Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine's, gather to attend the debate held ahead of the student council elections, at Bir Zeit University in Ramallah, West Bank on May 09, 2017 [Issam Rimawi / Anadolu Agency]

Students who support Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine’s, gather to attend the debate held ahead of the student council elections, at Bir Zeit University in Ramallah, West Bank on May 09, 2017

Israeli forces are holding 340 Palestinian university students, according to Education Minister Sabri Saidam.

“Some 340 university students are held in Israeli prisons,” Saidam told a press conference in the West Bank city of Ramallah on Sunday.

Last week, Israeli forces detained Omar al-Keswani, head of the student council at Birzeit University.

“A massacre was about to take place on campus as Israeli forces opened fire during the raid” to arrest al-Keswani, Saidam said.

He described the Israeli raid as “an organised state terrorism and unprecedented arrogance”, going on to call on the International Federation of Universities and UNESCO to shoulder their responsibility toward halting Israeli violations.

Read: More than 15,000 Palestinian women arrested by Israel since 1967

The Palestinian minister said nine school students were killed and 603 others injured by Israeli forces last year, adding:

The Israeli occupation is targeting the Palestinian education system

“There are around 311 school students are in Israeli custody,” he said, adding that some 95 Palestinian schools were also subject to Israeli attacks.

Read: Israel’s Education Council backs ‘annexation’ of West Bank universities

(Source / 11.03.2018)

Settler organization plans to seize Palestinian building in Silwan

Pal building Silwan

Ateret Cohanim settler organization on Sunday handed Ouda family in Silwan town a judicial order to evacuate their residential building in Batn al-Hawa neighborhood south of al-Aqsa Mosque.

Wadi Hilweh Information Center in Silwan said that Ateret Cohanim claims that the land on which Ouda’s building is built had been owned by Jews before 1889.

Ya’coub al-Rajabi, member of the Batn al-Hawa families committee, told Wadi Hilweh Information Center that Ouda family were ordered to give up a land where their four-storey building, which is inhabited by 50 people, is built.

Al-Rajabi said that the settler organization said the family has to respond to the lawsuit within 30 days, adding that the committee will seek the help of a competent Lawyer to prove the family’s ownership of the land.

He explained that this land has been owned by Ouda family since the 1970s after they purchased it from a resident of Silwan who had owned it since the 1950s. Years ago, Ouda family were able to obtain the necessary Israeli permits to establish the building which they have been living in for over 20 years.

The targeted land is part of a plan by Ateret Cohanim to confiscate 5 dunums and 200 square meters in the neighborhood for settlement purposes. Since September 2015, around 70 Palestinian families in the neighborhood have been handed evacuation orders by the same organization.

(Source / 11.03.2018)

3 children among 19 Gazans killed by Israel army in less than 3 months

19 Pals killed last 3 months

A report issued by the Palestinian Health Ministry on Sunday kept record of the murder of 19 Palestinians from the blockaded Gaza Strip by the Israeli occupation forces since December 2017.

According to data published by the ministry, 19 Palestinians were killed in the besieged enclave during the aforementioned period, including seven in Gaza city, five in Gaza’s northern provinces, two in Khan Younis, three in the Central Province, and two others in Rafah city.

The names of three children appear on the list of casualties.

1,083 Palestinians were also left wounded in the blockaded Gaza Strip during the same period, among them 283 children, 18 women and girls, and 827 men. Women and children made up 23.9% of the overall number of injured Gazans, the report found out.

The ministry also documented attacks by the Israeli army against 15 ambulances, most of which sustained serious damage. Paramedics were also wounded with teargas and prevented from evacuating casualties.

(Source / 11.03.2018)

Palestinian boy kidnapped by Israeli forces near Salem court

Pal boy kidnapped

A Palestinian boy was kidnapped by the Israeli occupation forces at noontime Sunday near the Salem military court, west of Jenin province.

A PIC news correspondent said Israeli soldiers sealed off the main entrance to Salem military camp and combed the area allegedly after a boy holding an explosive device was spotted in the area. The boy was kidnapped by Israeli soldiers moments later.

Israeli sources claimed the boy was carrying a home-made bomb.

(Source / 11.03.2018)

Israeli Army Abducts Four Palestinians In Jericho

11 MAR
11:39 AM

Israeli soldiers invaded, on Sunday at dawn, several Palestinian communities in the West Bank governorate of Jericho and abducted four Palestinians.

The Palestinian Prisoners’ Society (PPS) said the soldiers invaded and searched many homes in Jericho, before abducting the four Palestinians.

The PPS identified the abducted Palestinians as Karam Nasser ‘Ayed, ‘Ameed Rajeh Kteifi, Mo’in Tareq Eqeila and Hamza Jamal Hdeib.

Furthermore, the soldiers confiscated a Palestinian truck and a bulldozer while preparing to conduct work aimed at paving a new agricultural road leading to Palestinian lands in Qabalan town, south of the northern West Bank city of Nablus.

On Saturday evening, a group of Israeli colonizers, illegally living in colonies in Silwan town, south of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, in occupied East Jerusalem, attacked many Palestinian children in Batn al-Hawa neighborhood.

Also Saturday, dozens of Israeli colonizers invaded the at-Tiwana village, near Yatta, south of Hebron, and hurled stones at the residents while the soldiers started firing gas at the Palestinians.

(Source / 11.03.2018)

Soldiers Confiscate A Truck And A Bulldozer Near Nablus

11 MAR
11:12 AM

Israeli soldiers confiscated, Sunday, a Palestinian truck and a bulldozer while preparing to conduct work aimed at paving a new agricultural road leading to Palestinian lands in Qabalan town, south of the northern West Bank city of Nablus.

The soldiers invaded the area, and confiscated the truck and the bulldozer, in the as-Sroub area, east of Qabalan.

The Palestinians were trying to prepare for a new agricultural road, on their lands, to reach them with tractors and agricultural equipment.

This is happening while Israeli colonizers continue to illegally occupy Palestinian lands in the area, and are provided with infrastructure.

On Saturday evening, a group of Israeli colonizers, illegally living in colonies in Silwan town, south of the Al-Aqsa Mosque, in occupied East Jerusalem, attacked many Palestinian children in Batn al-Hawa neighborhood.

Also Saturday, dozens of Israeli colonizers invaded the at-Tiwana village, near Yatta, south of Hebron, and hurled stones at the residents while the soldiers started firing gas at the Palestinians.

(Source / 11.03.2018)

Army Invades Homes And Stores Near Hebron

11 MAR
10:17 AM

Dozens of Israeli soldiers invaded, on Sunday at dawn, several homes and stores in Doura town, south of the southern West Bank of Hebron, before violently searching them.

The WAFA Palestinian News Agency said the soldiers invaded many homes and stores in Sinjer neighborhood, in Doura, and violently searched them.

Furthermore, dozens of soldiers invaded various areas around Halhoul city, north of Hebron, including in many orchards and vineyards.

The soldiers also stopped and searched dozens of cars at main entrances of several towns, south of Hebron, and interrogated many Palestinians while inspecting their ID cards.

On Saturday, dozens of illegal Israeli colonizers invaded the at-Tiwana village, near Yatta, south of Hebron, and hurled stones at the residents while Israeli soldiers started firing gas at the Palestinians.

(Source / 11.03.2018)

Khalida Jarrar’s statement from prison marks International Women’s Day

Imprisoned Palestinian feminist, leftist political leader and advocate for prisoners’ rights Khalida Jarrarissued a statement on International Women’s Day from HaSharon prison, where she is held without charge or trial under administrative detention as one of 60 Palestinian women political prisoners. The statement was published on Mondoweiss from her daughter Yafa Jarrar’s Facebook page.

Jarrar has been detained by Israeli occupation forces since July 2017, when her Ramallah-area home was attacked in a pre-dawn raid.  A prominent Palestinian leftist and feminist, Jarrar is a member of the Palestinian Legislative Council, head of its Prisoners’ Committee and Vice-Chair of the Board of Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association. She was previously imprisoned in a case that drew worldwide attention in 2015; first ordered to administrative detention, her case was then transferred to an Israeli military court and she was accused of “incitement” for her public political activity in support of Palestine and Palestinian political prisoners.

The statement, with Yafa Jarrar’s comments, follows:

“Salute to all Palestinian women and women of the world. On this International Women’s Day, I affirm the importance of solidarity among women in their national and social struggles against colonization, discrimination, and social & economic exploitation. March 8th is an opportunity for us to unite in the fight for justice.”- Affidavit to Addameer Attorney at HaSharon Prison on 6 March 2018 with Palestinian Legislative Council member Khalida Jarrar.

This is the third time that my mother celebrates International Women’s Day in Israel’s Apartheid prisons. Mom was first arrested at an International Women’s Day rally in 1989 when I was only 3-yrs old. On March 8th, 2016, mom was serving a 15-month arbitrary sentence for being a feminist, parliamentarian, and political leader. Today, mom celebrates International Women’s Day along with 62 women and girls in Israeli prisons.

Mom’s role inside prison is critical. She is a mentor and an educator to 8 minor detainees, who are deprived of their right to education in a direct violation of international laws. Mom is preparing these young women to write their official high school exams from inside prison.

On this day in 2016, mom sent the following statement from the same prison that she is now detained at without charges or trial:

“On this day, we affirm that as Palestinian prisoners, we are part of a larger struggle for women’s liberation. The struggle will continue until we gain our freedom from occupation, and our freedom as women from all forms of injustices, oppression, violence, and discrimination. On this day, Palestinian women mark this occasion in light of the crimes of the occupation against Palestinian women, children, elders, and youth. This year, and from inside prison, we call for the freedom and self-determination of our people and of Palestinian women. We emphasize that in order to achieve equality and liberation, all forms of oppression and injustices must end. We stand as part of a global struggle with all other women freedom fighters around the world who are fighting against injustice, exploitation, and oppression.”

(Source / 11.03.2018)

Children injured by settlers during clashes in Silwan

Clashes Silwan

Clashes erupted in the village of Silwan in Occupied-East Jerusalem Saturday night according to Wafa and the Palestinian press.

According to eyewitnesses, Israeli settlers assaulted a number of children as they played in the Batn al-Hawa neighbourhood, near an Israeli outpost in the town.

The settlers reportedly attacked the children prompting the locals to come to their aid.

Israeli soldiers retaliated by firing gas bombs and sound-bang grenades at the children and the locals, as well as into their homes, according the International Middle East Media Centre.

The SIlwan village in Occupied-East Jerusalem is a highly contentious and contested area of the city, being home to the ancient Jewish Necropolis – which has thus drawn in a number of settler groups occupying key areas of the village – as well as being in close proximity to the Old City and the Mount of Olives.

In February, the Middle East Eye reported that Israeli construction and excavation near Silwan, so as to create a new ‘City of David’ attraction, was causing severe structural damage to homes in Silwan that threatened their structural integrity.

Israeli archaeological activities have drawn the ire of local Palestinian authorities and have been frequently used as a context for settlement construction.

(Source / 11.03.2018)

Second Palestinian killed in as many days after clashes near Nablus

Second Pal killed Urif

A second Palestinian has been killed in as many days after clashes broke out in the northern town of Urif, near Nablus, on Saturday.

Amir Omar Shahada, 19, was shot in he chest by IOF forces and rushed to Rafidia Hospital in Nablus where he later succumbed to his wounds, according to the Palestinian Ministry for Health.

Clashes broke out on Saturday when Israeli settlers from the Yitzhar settlement near Nablus invaded Urif village Saturday evening, according to sources quoted by the Palestinian press.

Reportedly, a second Palestinian, aged 16, was also shot in the leg during Saturday’s clashes.

The Yitzhar settlement is notorious for being a hotbed for acts of Jewish extremism, especially among the settlement’s youth population.

In 2017, 3 youths from Yitzhar were arrested for throwing stones at Israeli military ambulances.

Residents of Yitzhar in the past have also been accused of, and in some cases charged with, undertaking ‘price tag’ attacks in which acts of violence are committed by settler groups against Palestinian citizens in retaliation for perceived anti-settlement policy from the Israeli central government.

In 2015, settlers firebombed a Palestinian home in the village of Duma, killing an 18-month old child who was sleeping inside, in one such ‘price tag’ attack.

A 2008 article by the New York Times called Yitzhar ‘an extremist bastion on the hilltops commanding the Palestinian city of Nablus … [where] a local war is … being waged.’

As reported by the Haaretz, the IOF spokesman contradicted the course of events on Saturday, stating that a ‘mutual confrontation between the Palestinians and settlers’ broke out when Palestinians from Urif were spotted heading towards Yitzhar.

The Haaretz reported that the incident is still being investigated.

A second Palestinian was killed on Friday when clashes broke out in Hebron.

Muhammed Zain Jabri, 24, was shot by live fire and later succumbed to his wounds in hospital.

Jabri was reportedly mute and deaf, as well as a father of two.

These latest deaths come amid ongoing tensions after US President Donald Trump’s recognition of Jerusalem as the capital Israel, causing an international crisis and derailing the then US-led peace initiative.

The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (UNOCHA) reported that between the outbreak of clashes on 6 December 2017 and 30 January 2018, 20 Palestinians were killed and 5,000 more injured.

UNOCHA expressed concern at the use of excessive force, drawing on a case in which a 16-year old Palestinian was killed near Ramallah in January.

‘The soldiers responded by firing live ammunition to disperse the youths without trying to use less lethal means,’ said the UNOCHA.

(Source / 11.03.2018)