Article asked on this date

You have found the article

Dagelijks archief 10 februari 2018

Gaza: Newborn dies due to lack of “Calfactant”

Dead of newborn

The Palestinian health ministry said that a four-day-old baby on Thursday joined the convoy of victims who had died as a result of their need for vital medicines unavailable in Gaza hospitals.

According to a statement by the ministry, four-day-old Karam Abu Awwad, from Beit Lahia, died due to the absence of a special respiratory medicine called “Calfactant” that helps premature infants to breathe normally.

In this regard, the nursery department at al-Shifa Hospital in Gaza has appealed to the competent authorities to urgently provide Gaza hospitals with medicines needed for newborns, especially the Calfactant.

This type of medication is one of many vital medicines that became out of stock in Gaza.

The same hospital had already seen the death of five premature infants after failure to provide them with this drug.

(Source / 10.02.2018)

113 infants in Gaza face risk of death due to drug shortage

113 kids at risk

Gaza’s Ministry of Health on Saturday warned that the lives of dozens of premature babies are in real danger after hospitals have run out of a much-needed drug for their case.

Spokesman for the Ministry, Ashraf al-Qedra, told Quds Press that the lack of Calfatant drug which is essential for the growth of preterm infants’ respiratory system has raised the number of deaths among Gaza babies to five since the beginning of 2018.

Al-Qedra said that 113 newborn babies in Gaza’s hospitals are facing the risk of death due to the depletion of 45% of live-saving drugs and the deterioration of power crisis.

Naser Bolbol, the head of the neonatal intensive care department at al-Shifa Hospital, told Quds Press that the four-day-old Karam Abu Awwad was the latest victim of the absence of Calfatant drug which provides the respiratory system with the needed amount of oxygen.

In the past few days, 20 backup generators stopped working in several health facilities in Gaza due to the acute fuel shortage in the besieged area. Three hospitals in addition to other health facilities have been shut down.

(Source / 10.02.2018)

Syrians Disappointed as UN Security Council Fails to Agree on Temporary Truce in Syria

Member of the Syrian Coalition’s political committee, Salah al-Din al-Hamawi, said the Syrian people have been disappointed by the failure of the UN Security Council to agree on a temporary truce in Syria that is needed to put an end to the killings and crimes being committed by Russia, Iran, and the Assad regime. He noted that that these crimes have sharply increased following the failure of the Sochi Conference.

The UN Security Council once again failed to agree on declaration of a humanitarian truce in Syria. Sweden and Kuwait on Friday presented a draft resolution in light of the rapidly deteriorating situation in several areas across Syria, most notably in the Damascus suburb of eastern Ghouta and rural Idlib.

Al-Hamwi stressed that the UN Security Council’s repeated failure to rein in the Assad and Iranian militias as well as the Russian aggression as well as some Council members’ limiting of their response to mere expressions of sympathy and dissatisfaction have emptied this international organization of its primary purpose which is maintaining international peace and security. He stressed this failure requires a reconsideration of the structure and composition of the UN Security Council as well as the cause of its continued inaction.

The ongoing bombing campaign by the Russian and Assad regime forces has killed over 500 civilians and wounded thousand more as the last week in eastern Ghouta has been described as the deadliest since 2015.

Al-Hamwi noted that the cessation of murder and crimes in Syria could be achieved without the need for a resolution by the UN Security Council which has been disabled by the same side who is committing crimes in Syria provided that there is a will to carry out this noble act, especially on the part of the United States.

(Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department / 10.02.2018)

IOF attacks 12 targets in Syria after plane shot down

Terrorists attacked back

Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) on Saturday announced that Israel attacked 12 Syrian and Iranian targets in Syria in what it described as large-scale raids.

According to the IOF, the targets in Syria included three air-defense batteries and four Iranian sites.

An Israeli army spokesman told journalists the Syrians and Iranians were “playing with fire”, but insisted Israel was “not looking to escalate the situation”.

Earlier on Saturday, an Israeli fighter jet crashed after coming under fire from Syrian air defenses during attacks against “Iranian targets” in the war-torn country.

Syria fired anti-aircraft missiles at the F-16 fighter plane, causing the pilots to eject, the Israeli army spokesman said.

(Source / 10.02.2018)

Israel bans honorary party of retired principals in Jerusalem

Party banned

Israeli police and intelligence apparatus on Saturday morning banned an honorary party for the retired principals at al-Shabbat al-Muslimat Society in Occupied Jerusalem.

Israeli forces claimed that the event was banned because it was sponsored by the Palestinian Authority with the participation of Palestinian Education Minister, Sabri Saydam.

The PIC reporter said that some of the participants were handed summon notices to refer to Israeli intelligence investigation centers in the city for interrogation.

(Source / 10.02.2018)

IOF bans Palestinian from renovating his home in al-Khalil

Ban renovating home

Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) on Saturday banned Palestinian workers from renovating a Palestinian home of Haj Mufid al-Sharabati in al-Shuhada Street in Central al-Khalil and confiscated their tools.

The brother of the home owner, Ziyad, said that a group of Jewish settlers attacked the house amid cursing of the workers and the family. The settlers threatened them with assaults in case of the continuation of renovation works.

The settlers immediately summoned IOF soldiers and the so called civil administration officers who banned the workers from restoring the house and seized their equipment, according to WAFA news agency.

Ziedan revealed that his family consists of 20 members who are always subjected to harassment from settlers and IOF soldiers in order to make them leave their properties for settlers of Beit Hadas settlement which is located in the opposite side of their home.

(Source / 10.02.2018)

IOA bars 26 Palestinians from traveling at Allenby crossing

26 Pal's King Hussein border crossing

The Israeli occupation authority (IOA) prevented last week 26 Palestinian passengers from traveling through Allenby (King Hussein) border crossing with Jordan.

According to the Palestinian Authority (PA) police on Saturday, the passengers were denied travel by the Israeli side for unexplained security reasons.

However, over 31,000 Palestinian and foreign passengers were able to travel through the crossing during the week.

Allenby crossing, also known as al-Karama, is a bridge that spans the Jordan River and connects the West Bank with Jordan.

The bridge is the sole designated exit and entry point for West Bank Palestinians traveling in and out of the Israeli occupied territories.

(Source / 10.02.2018)

IOF arrests Palestinian youth for alleged stabbing attack

Youth arrested al-Khalil

Israeli Walla news website claimed that Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) on Saturday arrested a Palestinian youth at the entrance to al-Ibrahimi Mosque in al-Khalil city after allegedly finding a knife in his possession.

Every now and then, the IOF announces the arrest of Palestinians after alleged possession of knives to be used in anti-occupation stabbing attacks.

(Source / 10.02.2018)

Israeli bulldozers raze new lands in Salfit for settlement expansion

Razing land Salfit

Eyewitnesses reported that Israeli bulldozers on Saturday morning razed Palestinian lands north of Bruqin town in Salfit province in favor of the expansion of Bruchin settlement.

They added that the industrial area of Ariel settlement is also being expanded in the western area of Bruqin at the expense of Palestinian farmlands.

Anti-settlement researcher Khalid Ma’ali said that the Israeli bulldozing operations are in full swing in different villages and towns of Salfit including the four industrial areas located to the north and west of the province.

Ma’ali stressed that Israel’s settlement expansion activity on occupied Palestinian territories is illegal under international humanitarian law.

(Source / 10.02.2018)

Israel issues 47 administrative detention orders in February

A Palestinian child can be being arrested by Israeli security forces

Forty-seven administrative detention orders were issued by Israeli occupation forces against Palestinian prisoners in the first week of February, the Palestinian Prisoners’ Club revealed yesterday.

Of them, 41 were new while six were renewals of detentions of prisoners already held by the occupation.

The administrative detention orders ranged from three to six months, it said, and some were issued against prisoners who had already spent months and years in administrative detention, including journalist Hammam Hintash who had his detention renewed for a third time.

The occupation authorities use the policy of administrative detention to detain Palestinians without charge for an indefinite period of time and refuse to reveal the charges against them, which they claim are “secret”, impeding the ability of their lawyers to defend them.

There are currently nearly 7,000 Palestinian prisoners being held in 22 Israeli occupation jails, including 350 minors, 56 women, 700 administrative detainees, 12 members of the Legislative Council.

Read: Israel extends detention without trial of two young Palestinian citizens

(Source / 10.02.2018)