Article asked on this date

You have found the article

Dagelijks archief 25 december 2017

Jubeir Meets Hariri to Discusses Outcome of Latest Round of Geneva Negotiations

A delegation from the Syrian opposition’s Negotiations Committee headed by Nasr Al-Hariri met with Saudi Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir on Sunday and discussed with him the outcome of the latest round of talks in Geneva and the negotiations process.

Hariri reiterated the Committee’s commitment to political solution in accordance with the international resolutions on Syria, most importantly the Geneva Communiqué of 2012 and UN Security Council resolutions 2118 and 2254. He stressed that the intransigence of the Assad regime had undermined efforts of the UN Special Envoy to Syrian Staffan de Mistura to achieve progress and push the political process forward.

Hariri pointed out that the Syrian opposition had fulfilled its duties and was still awaiting for the United Nations to fulfill its role and deliver the other side, namely the Assad regime, to the negotiating table. He said that the UN failed to bring the Assad regime to the negotiating table while the Assad regime persisted in its attempts to obstruct the implementation of international resolutions.

For his part, Foreign Minister Al-Jubeir reiterated the Kingdom’s support for the Syrian opposition’s Negotiations Committee as he renewed calls for the implementation of international resolutions and reaching a sustainable political solution that is needed to put an end to the suffering of the Syrian people, bring about political transition, and ensure the return of refugees to their homes.

Al-Jubair expressed his support for the plans by the Committee to visit member states of the UN Security Council to urge them to press for the implementation of international resolutions on Syria.

(Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department / 25.12.2017)

Trump retaliates against Abbas

Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas attends the 34th session of the United Nations Human Rights Council at the United Nations office in Geneva, Switzerland on February 27, 2017 [Mustafa Yalçın / Anadolu Agency]

Image of Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas on February 27, 2017

Debkafile, an Israeli website close to the military intelligence, has reported that the Trump administration has decided to take a series of punitive measures against the Palestinian Authority (PA) after its successful campaign on Jerusalem in the UN General Assembly.

In a report issued on 23 December, the Israeli website cited its sources in Washington as stating that President Trump had decided to sever contacts and relations with the PA and President Mahmoud Abbas.

According to Debkafile, the Israeli-Palestinian peace plan under preparation in Washington will not be submitted to Ramallah but only to Israel and the relevant Arab governments.

These steps were taken after the PA had been warned more than once, and told to drop its campaign against the Trump pronouncement on Jerusalem because of its negative impact on the region, according to the Israeli website. It added that the White House move was communicated to the PA through a third Arab party.

The Israeli website further reported that the US will not publicly announce its freeze of aid to the PA. However, the administration will stop support and delay the resumption of economic projects backed by US institutions and re-examine them.

President Trump also decided not to invite Palestinian officials to the White House, State Department and US Treasury, and not to receive Palestinians at the US National Security Council where they used to participate in meetings aimed at shaping US strategy in the Middle East.

According to the Israeli website: “The US will halt its contributions to the UN Relief and Works Agency for Palestine (UNRWA), an estimated one billion dollars per annum” and will order Saudi Arabia, the UAE and Qatar to reduce the amount of aid provided to the Authority.

While no official statements were made by the US administration or the PA, the Israeli website confirmed that US officials have informed Saeb Erekat, the PA’s chief negotiator, that there is nothing to discuss with him anymore.

(Source / 25.12.2017)

Israeli Soldiers Assault Two Sanitation Workers Near Ramallah

25 DEC
1:15 PM

Israeli soldiers attacked, on Sunday evening, two Palestinian sanitation workers from the al-Biereh town, in central West Bank, and forced them to lie down in the rain for an extended period.

The soldiers stopped a sanitation truck, run by the City Council in al-Biereh, just as it approached garbage dump, forced two sanitation workers out, and assaulted them.

The soldiers confiscated the key to the truck, and forced the two workers to lie down in the heavy rain for an extended period, after frequently beating and assaulting them.

The two workers were later rushed to the Palestine Medical Complex, in Ramallah, suffering fractures, in addition to many cuts and bruises.

(Source / 25.12.2017)

Israeli Policeman indicted for urinating in face of bound Palestinian

25 DEC
1:56 PM

After a ten-year saga in which the Israeli Ministry of Justice refused to pursue charges against an Israeli police officer who admitted urinating in the face of a Palestinian prisoner, the Ministry finally indicted the officer.

The indictment came only after the victim, Mohammad Warani, took a lawsuit all the way to the Israeli High Court challenging the Israeli Justice Ministry’s decision to close the case.

The High Court ruled in favor of Warani, ordering the Justice Department to file charges against the police officer, Ya’akov Ben-Nissim Cohen.

In November 2007, Cohen took Mohammad Warani to a police station in the illegal Israeli settlement of Ma’ale Adumim, where he set the handcuffed, blindfolded man on a toilet and then climbed a shelf outside the stall and urinated in the man’s face.

According to prosecutors with the Police Investigations Department of the Justice Ministry, the officer “urinated on the face of the plaintiff, as the plaintiff screamed and shook his head from side to side”.

The indictment also stated, “In the above-described actions, the defendant psychologically abused a helpless victim”.

Even though the indictment was filed on November 1st, it was only made public on Sunday.

The incident took place ten years ago, and the officer involved has faced no repercussions during that time. This is despite the fact that he admitted to “an unusual incident” after his DNA was found in urine on the victim’s clothing.

The Justice Ministry decided to close the case against Cohen, but Warani challenged that decision in court. In February 2017, Warani received the very first ruling in his favor, at the Israeli High Court.

(Source / 25.12.2017)

Number of detained children jumps to 350

350 kids in jail

Palestinian Prisoners Center for Studies on Monday reported that the number of Palestinian detained children has jumped to 350 with a 17 percentage over the past three weeks.

The center’s spokesman, Riyad al-Ashqar, said that the Israeli arrests have been escalated after the recent protests at the US President Donald Trump’s decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital.

The number of arrests was estimated at 600 including 200 detainees of children especially from Occupied Jerusalem.

Ashqar warned of the consequences of targeting Palestinian children and stressed that subjecting Palestinian minors to killing, arrest, torture, deportation and house arrest is an Israeli systematic behavior.

(Source / 25.12.2017)

Anti-occupation icon Tamimi says she’s feeling cold in Israeli dungeon

Ahed cold

16-year-old Palestinian girl Ahed al-Tamimi has said that she is feeling cold in Israeli detention centers, after the occupation authorities extended her remand.

An Israeli court on Sunday extended the detention of Tamimi pending questioning.

Rights groups have said Tamimi has been left without investigation since the first day of her detention, on Tuesday.

Tamimi’s defense attorneys said her isolation make part of Israeli attempts to dampen her spirits.

Tamimi has been charged by an Israeli court with attacking Israeli soldiers and inciting against them.

A footage of the 16-year-old girl slapping a heavily-armed Israeli soldier on his face has gone viral on social media over recent days.

The girl said the Israeli authorities have prevented her from entering warm clothes, leaving her shivering behind prison bars.

(Source / 25.12.2017)

ICRC slams MK’s harassment of Palestinian prisoners’ families

ICRC Knesset

The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) on Monday slammed an Israeli Knesset member for intercepting a bus of Palestinian families visiting their imprisoned sons in Israeli jails.

ICRC spokeswoman Soheir Zaqout said that the Committee is following with concern what happened during the visit, stressing that the families of Palestinian prisoners have the right to visit their sons with dignity.

MK Oren Hazan was seen in a video posted on social media platforms and some Hebrew press websites on Monday boarding an ICRC bus and verbally harassing families of Palestinian prisoners from the Gaza Strip as they were heading to visit their sons.

Maariv newspaper reported that Hazan tried to prevent the buses of the Palestinian families from continuing their trip.

According to a Maariv reporter, Hazan, as he was attacking the families, turned to the mother of a Palestinian prisoner and said, “Your son is a dog. I will make sure you cannot visit him any more.”

(Source / 25.12.2017)

Israeli journalist calls for raping Palestinian minor female prisoner

It is the Israeli mindset. During Israeli offensive on Gaza in 2014, an Israeli soldier called on Netanyahu to rape all Palestinian mothers in Gaza

Prominent Israeli journalist called for raping the Palestinian minor female prisoner inside Israeli jails Ahed al-Tamimi, 16, over slapping an Israeli soldier who shot her 15-year-old cousin in the head.

“In the case of the girls [Ahed al-Tamimi], we should exact a price at some other opportunity, in the dark, without witnesses and cameras,” journalist Ben Caspit wrote in an article published by the Hebron Maariv newspaper.

What might this price exactly be, considering that he is referring specifically to teenage girls? We are left to wonder. Perhaps he wishes to leave it to the imagination of the soldiers who would invade the home at night, ensuring that no cameras are filming.

Ben Caspit’s suggestion is a sly and wretched one, and it comes with the smugness of congratulating the soldiers for their moral strength, as it were, for not having acted back with force against the girls – on film, that is.

“There is no stomach which does not turn when witnessing this clip,” Caspit says, referring to Zionist stomachs, that is.  “I, for example, if I were to encounter that situation, I would have long ago been in detention until end of procedures.”

In other words, Caspit is saying he would run amok on the girls to a degree that would get him arrested. That’s what he’s indirectly suggesting would be ‘normal,’ because he would do it.

Caspit’s suggestion resembles that of the Israeli Defence Minister Lieberman, who also said on Tuesday that “whoever goes wild during the day, will be arrested at night,” adding that “everyone involved, not only the girl but also her parents and those around them will not escape from what they deserve.”

The soldiers were repeatedly being called “gays” and “trannies” because they were not seduced by this little girl and did not rape her.

Elor Azarya, the Israeli soldier who killed a motionless Palestinian in Al-Khalil last year, wrote in July 2014, near the beginning of the onslaught on Gaza: “Bibi, you are transvestite. What a ceasefire? Penetrate their mothers!”

Israeli Culture Minister Miri Regev described the unwillingness of the Israeli soldiers to rape the little girls as “damaging of the honour of the Israeli army.”

(Source / 25.12.2017)

12 killed by Israeli army, 666 left injured in Gaza in 2 weeks

12 Pal's killed in 2 weeks

Israeli occupation forces have killed 12 Palestinian protesters and left hundreds injured in occupied Palestinian territories since U.S. President Donald Trump’s move on Jerusalem.

Palestinian Ministry of Health said in a report that 12 Palestinians were killed by the occupation forces since December 7.

Among 666 persons left injured in Gaza were 164 children and 15 women.

The list of wounded persons included 183 from northern Gaza Strip, 209 from Gaza, 61 from the Central Province, 136 from Khan Younis, and 77 from Rafah.

Meanwhile, the Israeli occupation forces had targeted paramedics 15 times, including attacks on ambulances in an attempt to undermine rescuing wounded protesters.

The 12 casualties are identified as: Mahmoud al-Mesri, Maher Atallah, Mahmoud al-Atel, Mohamed al-Safady, Hussein Nasrallah, Mustafa al-Sultan, Ibrahim Thuraya, Yasser Sukar, Zakaria al-Kafarna, Mohamed Muheissen, Sherif Shalash, and Mohamed al-Dahdouh.

(Source / 25.12.2017)

Israeli army closes off main entrance to southern Nablus village

Nablus closed

The Israeli occupation forces on Sunday shut down the main entrance to the village of al-Lubban al-Sharqia, to the south of Nablus in the West Bank, barring entry to and exit from the village.

Head of al-Lubban Village Council, Samer Aweis, said the Israeli army shut down the entrance to the village with a metal gate, forcing residents to use unpaved bypass roads to enter or leave the village.

The army shut down the same entrance road on Friday with cement roadblocks and sand barriers following fierce clashes with Palestinian anti-occupation youth.

The occupation forces claimed the measure has come in response to a stone-attack by Palestinian schoolchildren targeting an Israeli bus.

Aweis said the Israeli army has officially informed the locals that the closure makes part of a collective punishment policy.

Israeli occupation forces have intensified closures of access roads in many areas of the occupied West Bank, in the aftermath of the unrest that followed U.S. President Donald Trump’s decision to recognize Jerusalem as Israel’s capital on December 6.

(Source / 25.12.2017)