Article asked on this date

You have found the article

Dagelijks archief 6 september 2017

Gaza refugees demand Krähenbühl to solve UNRWA problems


Joint Committee for Refugees in Gaza on Wednesday called on UNRWA’s commissioner-general Pierre Krähenbühl to solve problems related to UNRWA’s services to the refugees living in the Gaza Strip.

During a protest at UNRWA’s headquarters in Gaza, the Committee called in a statement on the Agency to provide jobs and relief for refugees in Gaza in accordance with the mission for which it was established based on a UN resolution in 1948.

With regard to the employment services, the Committee affirmed that the number of vacancies in UNRWA’s institutions in 2017 reached 349, 286 of which were in the education sector. However, the Agency’s administration had recruited only 250 employees, including 215 teachers, which means that there are 99 vacancies left.

The Committee asked UNRWA to fill vacancies by employing new graduates, engage refugees in temporary employment programs and provide its employees with permanent jobs instead of fixed-term positions.

The statement stressed that UNRWA schools must comply with the curriculum set by the Palestinian Ministry of Education without changing any of the terms that reflect the Palestinian national identity.

As for the power crisis plaguing the besieged Gaza Strip, the Committee demanded UNRWA’s administration to assume its responsibilities toward the refugee community in the coastal enclave and help solve the crisis.

It concluded the statement by noting that UNRWA’s financial deficit, which amounted to $126 million in 2017, is not the responsibility of the Palestinian refugees but the responsibility of the international community and the United Nations which decided to establish UNRWA to help refugees.

(Source / 06.09.2017)

Palestinians prisoners families detained at Israeli Tiba checkpoint

Al-Tiba checkpoint

The Israeli occupation authorities (IOA) have detained on Wednesday morning hundreds of Palestinian prisoners’ relatives at al-Tiba checkpoint, near Tulkarem.

The mother of Palestinian prisoner Majd Azem, from Sabstiya, north of Nablus, said dozens of families got stuck at al-Tiba checkpoint on their way to visit their relatives at Megiddo lock-up.

The IOA prevented the family visits claiming there has been no routine coordination with the Red Cross.

A number of children have fallen over after they caught sunburns as a result of the scorching heat.

(Source / 06.09.2017)

Israel extends Sheikh Raed Salah’s detention

For the second consecutive time

Sheikh Raed Salah detention extended

The Israeli Magistrate court extended on Wednesday morning detention of head of the Islamic Movement in 1948 occupied Palestine, Sheikh Raed Salah, for the second consecutive time, in order to question him on the allegations of inciting terrorism and violence and supporting a banned organization.

In an interview with the PIC, lawyer Khaled Zabarqa said that the court’s decision has no legal basis.

The court’s extension is political par excellence and aims at keeping Sheikh Salah away from the social, national, and religious activities, Zabarqa added.

On August 15, Sheikh Salah was rounded up by Israeli police from his home in Umm al-Fahm.

He was held since then in solitary confinement amid inhuman detention conditions.

Israeli police claimed that Sheikh Salah was detained for questioning under caution regarding suspicions of “incitement and supporting the actions of a banned and outlawed organization,” referring to the Islamic Movement.

The Israeli government banned the Islamic Movement in November 2015 under the pretext that it carries out provocative actions against Israel.

Sheikh Salah has earlier said that his arrest was part of the Israeli targeting of Palestinian leaders in the 1948 occupied Palestinian territories.

They aim at keeping the media busy with the issue of his arrest rather than with the charges brought against Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, he clarified.

(Source / 06.09.2017)

IOF breaks into Palestinian home in al-Khalil, attacks its owners

IOF breaks in home Beit Ummar

The Israeli Occupation Forces violently stormed Wednesday morning a Palestinian-owned home in Beit Ummar town north of the southern West Bank province of al-Khalil.

The PIC field correspondent reported that Israeli forces stormed the area in large numbers accompanied with a number of military vehicles.

During the raid, the soldiers broke into a local house belonging to Mohamed Zahaqiq after blowing up its door.

Zahqiq’s two sons were severely beaten with rifle butts during that attack, the PIC reporter added. They both suffered different injuries.

The soldiers also tried to arrest their brother Youssef Zahaqiq who earlier spent five years in Israeli jails. However, he was not at home during the raid.

(Source / 06.09.2017)

El Matan settlement devouring more land in Salfit

Illegal settl El Matan

The Israeli occupation authority (IOA) has embarked on expansion activities in the illegal settlement of El Matan, west of Deir Istiya town in the West Bank province of Salfit.

Local eyewitnesses told the Palestinian Information Center (PIC) on Wednesday that the IOA annexed vast tracts of land in Wadi Qana area of Deir Istiya to construct new housing units as part of a plan to expand El Matan.

They affirmed that the settlement is being expanded silently into Wadi Qana, away from the media and without informing the Palestinian landowners of the Israeli plan to build on their plots of land.

(Source / 06.09.2017)

IOF raids homes and workshops, kidnaps Palestinians in West Bank

Raids homes and workshops WB.jpg

The Israeli occupation forces (IOF) at dawn Wednesday carried out raids on homes and workshops and kidnapped Palestinian citizens during campaigns in different West Bank areas.

Reporters for the Palestinian Information Center (PIC) said that Israeli soldiers stormed metalworking shops, ransacked homes of citizens and confiscated money and cars during IOF campaigns in the West Bank.

Local sources told the PIC that the IOF stormed Tulkarem city and nearby towns and kidnapped Sheikh Ammar Manna and MP Abdul-Rahman Zaidan, a Hamas official, before releasing them later.

Another citizen called Nafed Abu Obaid was also kidnapped from the southern neighborhood of Tulkarem city and later released him after interrogating him.

In Jenin, an Israeli military force raided foundries and workshops in Arraba town, confiscated their equipment and closed them until further notice, according to local sources.

The same military force also stormed homes and interrogated their residents in the town, without making arrests.

Eyewitnesses said that dozens of soldiers encircled the house of Mustafa al-Arida in the central district of Arraba town before breaking into and ransacking it, brutalizing its residents and detaining them in one room.

In Nablus, scores of soldiers aboard military vehicles stormed the city and kidnapped a young man from his home in the old district.

Locals told the PIC that the detention of the young man, whom they identified as Islam al-Masri, triggered clashes with the soldiers in different areas of the old district, where the latter intensively fired tear gas and stun grenades to disperse angry youths.

In Qalqilya, three Palestinian citizens were taken prisoners during IOF raids on homes in Jayyous town in the east.

The detainees were identified as Fu’aad Baida, Obada Shamasneh and Yahya Nofel.

The IOF also erected barriers at the main entrance to the nearby town of Azzun in Qalqiliya and blocked the road between Jayyous and Azzun, where they obstructed the movement of citizens and vehicles for many hours.

For its part, the Israeli army claimed its forces arrested overnight 13 wanted Palestinians in the West Bank, including two from al-Khalil city.

Another one from al-Khalil city was also detained last night after he arrived at Allenby border crossing with Jordan coming from Saudi Arabia where he went on pilgrimage to Makkah.

Four others were arrested in Ramallah province, according to the Israeli army’s statement.

They were identified as Yousef Attabal, Aysar Marouf, Thabet Marouf and Mohamed Yousef.

(Source / 06.09.2017)

IOA extends administrative detention of Professor Ashqar

Professor Esam al-Ashqar

Israeli occupation authorities (IOA) extended the illegal administrative detention order for two months against professor Esam al-Ashqar, 57, for the fourth time in a row.

Prisoners Media Office stated that the extension decision was made in full disregard to the deteriorated health condition of detainee Ashqar as he is struggling with several diseases.

Captive Ashqar is from Saida town near Tulkarem city. He works at An-Najah National University in Nablus city as Professor of Physics.

(Source / 06.09.2017)

4 minors among 15 Palestinian women, girls detained by IOF in August

15 Palestinian women and girls detention

The Palestine Prisoners Center for Studies (PPCS) kept record of the detention of 15 Palestinian women and girls by the Israeli occupation forces (IOF), among them four minors, in August.

A statement by PPCS said 15 to 20 Palestinian women and girls are kidnapped by the Israeli forces every single month mostly on charges of carrying out or being involved in anti-occupation stabbing attacks or incitement on social media.

The list of female arrestees in August included four minors below the age of 17: Amira Taqatqa, 16; Hiba al-Faroukh, 15, Shahd Abu Kweik, 15; and Siujoud Assi, 14.

PPCS also kept record of the surge in the abduction of Palestinian women in Occupied Jerusalem, particularly near holy al-Aqsa Mosque.

(Source / 06.09.2017)

250,000 unemployed in Gaza did not celebrate Eid holiday

Poverty rate in Gaza is over 70 per cent

More than 250,000 unemployed Palestinian residents of Gaza Strip could not afford to help their children celebrate holiday of Eid al-Adha, which lasted from Friday to Monday.

“The suffering of the Palestinian workers has exceeded all limits due to the tightening of the siege at all levels, including closure of crossings and a ban on the entry of raw materials,” he said.

More than 250,000 unemployed Palestinian residents of Gaza Strip could not afford to help their children celebrate holiday of Eid al-Adha, which lasted from Friday to Monday.

According to official statistics, the number of unemployed Palestinians in Gaza exceeds 250,000 and the poverty rate is higher than 70 per cent.

Shehab News Agency said that these numbers alone reflect the difficult situation of the families of Palestinian workers in Gaza.

The news agency added that the suffering of these families is multiplied threefold if any of them are still homeless, following the destruction of their homes by the Israeli occupation during offensives on Gaza.

The head of the Union of Labour Syndicates in Palestine Sami al-Amassi said that the cement which is allowed to enter the Gaza Strip did not exceed even 20 per cent of the needs.

This negatively affects the employment situation, he continued, as the halt of the construction sector paralyses up to 70 per cent of the workforce.

Meanwhile, he noted that not more than 30 per cent of the houses demolished during the Israeli offensives on Gaza had been rebuilt yet.

“The suffering of the Palestinian workers has exceeded all limits due to the tightening of the siege at all levels, including closure of crossings and a ban on the entry of raw materials,” he said.

He added that hundreds of factories in Gaza had shut down due to the halt of raw materials and severe electricity shortages.

(Source / 06.09.2017)

Israel to build 4,500 news settlement units

More than 800,000 illegal Israeli squatters live in illegal settlements in occupied territories

 Israeli National Council of Planning and Building (NCPB) approved on Tuesday building 4,500 new settlement units on hills of occupied Jerusalem.

Israel occupied the eastern part of Jerusalem in 1967 and declared it its capital in 1980. The international community does not recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel

Israeli National Council of Planning and Building (NCPB) approved on Tuesday building 4,500 new settlement units on hills of occupied Jerusalem.

Israeli authorities consider construction in this area necessary because of the lack of land available for construction in occupied Jerusalem.

The Israeli newspaper Haaretz noted that the Society for the Protection of Nature and Environmental Groups protested against the plan because the construction will cause environmental damage to the landscape and springs in the region.

According to the newspaper, the construction plan covers an area of ​​600 hectares on which the housing units will be built.

Khalil Tafkaji, settlement expert and head of maps and land department at the Arab Studies Society, said Israel deals with Jerusalem as if it is its capital city and has therefore expanded settlement construction in it.

He told Quds Press that this plan of settlement construction is part of Israel’s “strategy not to establish a Palestinian state with Jerusalem as its capital”.

Israel occupied the eastern part of Jerusalem in 1967 and declared it its capital in 1980. The international community does not recognise Jerusalem as the capital of Israel.

Since its occupation of the Holy City, Israel has made many changes in the nature of the city and its demographic composition, setting up 19 illegal settlements with more than 200,000 settlers.

According to human rights organisations and a number of world powers, settlement construction and the expansion of existing settlements threaten the chances of a viable Palestinian state.

Since US President Donald Trump took office, Israel has been given the green light to build more than 6,000 settlement units in occupied East Jerusalem and the West Bank.

(Source / 06.09.2017)