Palestinian NGOs slam UNRWA for closing West Bank hospital

Pal NWO's vs UNRWA

Civil institutions and NGOs operating in the West Bank reiterated their firm rebuff of UNRWA’s cut of its health services for the Palestinian refugees.

In a Friday morning statement, the civil committees said the fact that UNRWA’s hospital in Qalqilya has gone out of operation is an indication of a preplanned tactic to liquidate the refugees cause and eliminate Palestinians’ right of return under Israeli pressure.

The statement accused the UN agency of pursuing “preplanned murder” by reducing health services and closing its only hospital in the West Bank.

The civil committees warned of the repercussions of the move, which they said will aggravate poverty and unemployment rates among the Palestinian refugees.

(Source / 25.08.2017)

Israel fires 12 Palestinian teachers over anti-occupation incitement

12 teachers fired

Dozens of teachers and principals at Arab schools in 1948 Occupied Palestine (Israel) have been accused of inciting against the Israelis, in and out of class, Hebrew-speaking Israel Hayom daily reported Friday.

According to the Israeli newspaper, punitive measures have been taken by the Israeli Ministry of Education against 12 Palestinian instructors on charges of incitement against Israel and its army.

The war against Palestinian instructors during class is part of the war over the authentic narratives in Palestinian schoolbooks which are being used in some schools in eastern Jerusalem.

Israel’s Education Minister Naftali Bennett (Habayit Hayehudi) claimed that he would use an iron fist against Palestinian incitement.

In recent years, the Israeli Education Ministry has been trying to combat alleged incitement against the Israeli occupation by Palestinian teachers. In some cases, investigations have been launched by the Israeli forces and authorities against teachers who carried their message not only to their students but also on social media networks.

(Source / 25.08.2017)

400 Jewish families to settle on Palestinian land in Jerusalem

400 Jews Sheikh Jarrah

In the next decade, some 400 Jewish families will live in the Occupied Jerusalem neighborhood of Sheikh Jarrah, said Arieh King, the director of the Israel Land Fund NGO.

“Sheikh Jarrah is going through a revolution, and we will see its outcome in something like five years,” King told The Jerusalem Post on Thursday. “We have now four main compounds that we are working on. In our next phase we plan to house families in two more compounds – one of 300 housing units and the other of 200 housing units.”

“For now, there are five Jewish homes in Sheikh Jarrah, located north of the Old City,” he said.

King added that his aim is to connect Mount Scopus to Route 1 and Mea She’arim neighborhood.

He rejected reports that the phenomenon of Jews settling in Occupied Jerusalem is drawing domestic and international attention.

“If it was 15 years ago you would have seen headlines everywhere, but now, no one cares,” claimed King.

“The Arabs are apathetic about this. It is hard for them, but they accept the fact that we are returning.”

(Source / 25.08.2017)

Jewish settlers hold provocative evening march in Silwan

Settleers march Silwan

Dozens of Jewish settlers along with officials on Thursday staged a provocative evening march in the Palestinian Silwan district of Occupied Jerusalem and entered a house that had been already sized and turned into a synagogue in Baten al-Hawa neighborhood.

A reporter for the Palestinian Information Center (PIC) said the settlers were carrying Torah scrolls and Israeli flags as they were marching to the house that was appropriated a few years ago at the pretext that it was once a synagogue.

Member of the Silwan Land Defense Committee Fakhri Abu Diyab said that scores of Israeli police forces were deployed throughout the area and on rooftops of homes to protect the participants in the march.

Abu Diyab affirmed that Israeli agriculture minister Uri Ariel, right-wing Knesset members, and officials from the Jewish Home Party, and Ashkenazi chief rabbi of Jerusalem Aryeh Stern were among the participants.

He pointed out that it was the first time for the settlers to hold a march in Silwan district.

Silwan and its neighborhoods have always been a target of Judaization projects. The Israeli occupation authority still seeks to demolish several Palestinian homes in the district in order to build a park for its settlers.

In 2005, it started to notify local residents of its intent to raze their homes for the park project, but it had to delay its step several times after home owners managed to extract court verdicts freezing demolition orders.

However, the Israeli municipality in Jerusalem now threatens again to demolish the homes in Silwan after it rejected all the structural blueprints they submitted for their neighborhoods.

(Source / 25.08.2017)

Khudari asks UN to establish Gaza emergency fund

Gaza emergency fund

MP Jamal al-Khudari, head of the Popular Committee against the Siege, asked the UN to launch Gaza emergency fund in order to overcome the deterioration of the humanitarian conditions in the blockaded Gaza Strip due to the decade-long Israeli siege on the coastal enclave and the aggravating crises.

“The Emergency fund should not be affected by any political disputes or occupation measures in consistence with the role of The United Nations and its principles, the Geneva Convention and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights”, Khudari said, in a press release on Friday.

He called on Palestinian civil organizations to back up the idea and asked Arab and Muslim countries as well as the international community to effectively contribute to the fund.

Khudari highlighted that the Israeli ongoing siege which has been in force for over ten years and the Israeli three military attacks on Gaza as well as the consequences of the internal division have led to the complicated humanitarian situation in Gaza Strip.

(Source / 25.08.2017)

Palestinian injured in clashes east of Gaza Strip

Clashes Gazastrip

A Palestinian was injured on Friday evening in confrontations with the Israeli occupation forces (IOF) east of Jabalia refugee camp in the northern Gaza Strip.

Spokesman of Gaza’s Ministry of Health, Ashraf al-Qedra, said that a Gazan citizen was slightly injured in the chest and foot after being hit with a tear gas canister fired by the IOF soldiers stationed behind the border fence, adding that he was transferred to the hospital to receive the necessary treatment.

Palestinian youths demonstrate every Friday near the border fence separating the Gaza Strip and the 1948 occupied Palestinian territories in protest at the decade-long blockade imposed on Gaza and the Israeli violations in Jerusalem and the West Bank.

(Source / 25.08.2017)

IOF quells weekly march in Ni’lin town

Ni'lin weekly march

Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) on Friday afternoon violently attacked the weekly march staged in Ni’lin town, west of Ramallah, against Israel’s segregation wall and settlement activities.

The march kicked off after Friday prayer to mark the 48th anniversary of the arson attack on al-Aqsa Mosque.

Member of the popular committee against the Israeli wall and settlements in Ni’lin, Muhammad Amira, reported that IOF soldiers attacked the participants in the march as they approached the Separation Wall.

(Source / 25.08.2017)

4 Palestinians arrested, 4 others on hunger strike in PA jails

4 Pal's arrested by PA

At least four Palestinians were arrested by the Palestinian Authority (PA) forces in the West Bank while four others continue their hunger strike in protest at their arbitrary detention.

Hamas said in a Friday statement that the PA Preventive Forces in Jenin arrested the ex-prisoner and imam of Tawalba Mosque, Ahmed Shafiq Abu Zinah, after they opened fire at a bus owned by a local kindergarten, which he was driving.

On Thursday evening, the PA intelligence forces in Qalqilya arrested the ex-prisoner Mohamed Ata Zahran from his workplace. Youngster Mootassem al-Awawdeh was also arrested by the PA forces after they broke into his family home in al-Khalil.

At the same time, Palestinian young man Ahmed Abdul Aziz was arrested by the PA preventive forces in Nablus just three days after he turned himself in for questioning.

Pharmacy student Moussa Dweikat has been held in PA lock-ups for three consecutive days.

Meanwhile, the PA Preventive Forces in Jericho extended the remand of two students—Amer Abu Rumi and Baraa Oudeh—and a doctor—Thaer Mahariq—for 15 days. All three have started an open-ended hunger strike over being detained with neither charge nor trial.

Palestinian detainee Shadi al-Namoura has also been on an open-ended hunger-strike for seven days running in response to his arbitrary incarceration in Jericho prison for three consecutive months.

(Source / 25.08.2017)

IOF kidnaps two young men in West Bank

IOF kidnapped 2 young men WB

The Israeli occupation forces (IOF) kidnapped overnight two young men and raided different areas of the West Bank.

According to local sources, Israeli soldiers set up last night a makeshift checkpoint on a road near Nabi Saleh village, northwest of Ramallah city, and rounded up a teenager.

The young detainee was identified as 16-year-old Ahed al-Rimawi, from Beit Rima town in Ramallah. The reason for his detention is still unknown.

In Bethlehem, the IOF stormed at dawn Beit Fajjar town in the south and kidnapped a young man called Ra’fat Thawbteh from his home.

Israeli military patrol vehicles were also seen entering Nahalin town, west of Bethlehem, with no reported arrests.

Similar IOF raids took place in Jenin city and Deir al-Ghusun town in Tulkarem. No one was reportedly taken prisoner.

Meanwhile, skirmishes occurred in Beit Awwa town, west of al-Khalil, between local young men and Israeli soldiers, who intensively fired tear gas and stun grenades to disperse them.

(Source / 25.08.2017)

Israel’s “spying star” takes off

Spy drone

After a series of successful training and pilot flights, a Kochav—‘star’ in Hebrew—is born in the form of the Elbit Hermes 900 operational drone which has been incorporated into Israel’s air force.

The new remote-controlled Israeli medium-sized drone is the improved version of its predecessor, the Elbit Hermes 450. The main objective in its redevelopment was to double its power and capabilities in an array of aspects, namely size, load capacity, air time capability and distance abilities.

In addition to the multiple changes made to the UAV, several elements and characteristics of its predecessor have been maintained, including its communication system, the way in which it is operated and maintenance methods.

Despite the similarities between the two drones; however, the Kochav could not be automatically incorporated into the air force without required adaptation, training and test flights to comprehensively ready it for military use.

According to the Israel Air Force, developers of the Kochav have met the core multiple requirements, including extending its power capacity and air time. Moreover, the quantity of equipment that can be attached to the Kochav has been significantly increased. “This is a quantum leap in technological capabilities,” said an Israeli army official.

The kochav is nine meters long, with a wingspan of 16 meters. It can reach an impressive maximum speed of 200 kph and can stay in the air for up to 30 hours.

(Source / 25.08.2017)