IOF detains 13 Palestinians in predawn raids across the West Bank

13 Pal's arrested during raids

The Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) detained at least 13 Palestinians during overnight raids across the West Bank between and occupied Jerusalem, Israeli and Palestinian sources revealed.

An Israeli army spokesperson confirmed the arrest of 12 Palestinians including nine “wanted persons” for being allegedly involved in anti-occupation attacks.

Two activists in Hamas Movement were among the reported arrests, according to the sources.

Two youths were detained in Bethlehem, while three others were rounded up in Tulkarem. Another young man was also arrested in Nablus.

During the raids, a large amount of money was confiscated in Surif town, north of al-Khalil.

Violent raids were also reported in Balata refugee camp where an ex-prisoner was detained after IOF soldiers broke into his family house amid heavy firing of live ammunition. The detainee was shot and injured during his arrest.

Also in Nablus, a young man was arrested after IOF stopped his car at Hawara checkpoint.

In Ramallah, IOF arrested four youths from Rima and Batein towns.

Meanwhile, clashes broke out in Qalqilia when IOF soldiers stormed and violently searched a number of local houses amid heavy firing of teargas bombs.

Several locals were interrogated during the raid, eyewitnesses told the PIC reporter.

Israeli raids in Palestinian towns, villages, and refugee camps are a daily occurrence in the West Bank and occupied Jerusalem, with a biweekly average of 85 search and detention raids carried thus far in 2017, according to UN documentation.

(Source / 17.08.2017)

Israeli police arrest 72 Jerusalemites

Over their participation in al-Aqsa protests

72 Pal's arrested involved al-Aqsa protests

Israeli police have arrested in the past week 72 Palestinians for being allegedly involved in al-Aqsa protests against Israel’s metal detectors erected at the entrances to the holy shrine.

Spokeswoman for the police Luba al-Sumari said 43 of those arrested have been charged so far.

In the past week, two major arrest operations were carried out, in which the 72 suspects were taken in for questioning, according to her.

“Anyone involved, directly or indirectly, in violent riots, will be arrested and prosecuted,” she added.

Jerusalem saw weeks of high tensions and demonstrations last month after Israel installed metal detectors and cameras at the entrances to al-Aqsa Mosque, imposing further restrictions on Palestinians’ access into the Mosque.

However, the crisis was contained when Israeli authorities removed the newly installed measures amid heavy pressure from Palestinian worshipers who staged daily protests and refused to enter the site until the Israeli restrictions were removed.

(Source / 17.08.2017)

Gaza Commerce Chamber: Economic conditions about to collapse

Gaza Commerce Chamber

Maher Tabbaa, Manager of Public Relations and Media at Gaza Chamber of Commerce and Industry, said that the Israeli decade-long siege on Gaza along with the Palestinian Authority’s latest punitive measures have led to potential collapse of economic conditions in the blockaded coastal enclave.

In a statement on Wednesday, Tabaa highlighted the current economic issues; most prominent the power and salaries crises, being suffered by the Gazan people especially with the upcoming holiday of Eid al-Adha and the beginning of the new academic year.

He pointed out that the unemployment rate in Gaza has exceeded 41 per cent, while the poverty rate has jumped to 65 per cent. The market has entered a state of unprecedented recession, he added.

(Source / 17.08.2017)

Israeli court to decide on home-demolition of Shamasna family’s house

Home-demolition order Shamasnah family

Israeli magistrate court in Occupied Jerusalem will consider on Thursday the home-demolition of Shamasnah family’s home, threatened with eviction, in Sheikh Jarrah neighborhood in Occupied Jerusalem.

Hatem Abdulqader, Fatah Movement official of Jerusalem affairs, said that an appeal was filed by lawyer Saeed Ghaliya based on new data and documents that prove the family’s home ownership that dates back to 1964. The eviction order which was supposed to take place last Sunday, as a result, was postponed.

The family has continued their protest sit-in before the home for the second week in a row.

For his part, the UNRWA Spokesman, Christopher Gunness, expressed his concern over the humanitarian consequences of the Israeli threat to evict the house. He called on Israeli occupation authorities to reconsider the decision.

(Source / 17.08.2017)

Israeli prosecution files indictments against 43 Jerusalemites

Filed indictments against 43 Jerusalemites

The Israeli prosecution on Wednesday filed indictments against 43 Jerusalemites accusing them of throwing stones and Molotov cocktails at Israeli police forces in the wake of the 14th July shooting attack at al-Aqsa Mosque.

According to the Israeli police, two arrest campaigns were launched in several towns and villages in Jerusalem in which 72 Jerusalemites suspected of committing “acts of disorder” were arrested.

The police claimed that these acts caused damage to public property and led to the injury of a number of police officers.

The police said that indictments were served against 43 Jerusalemites out of 72, adding that the detention of all 72 detainees will be extended until the completion of the legal proceedings taken against them.

(Source / 17.08.2017)

New stop-construction and demolition orders in Khalil, Jerusalem

Stop-construction orders Yatta

Israeli occupation authorities (IOA) on Wednesday issued stop-construction orders against Palestinian houses near Yatta city to the south of al-Khalil and distributed a number of demolition notices in Silwan in Occupied Jerusalem.

Coordinator of the national committee against the wall and settlements south of al-Khalil, Rateb al-Jabour, said that Israeli occupation forces accompanied Administration Committee members who distributed stop-work notices against three houses in Khirbet Janaba to the east of Yatta under the pretext that they are located in Area C.

Following Oslo II Accord in 1995, the West Bank was divided into three divisions: Areas A, B and C which comprise 18%, 21% and 61% of the West Bank respectively.

Area A is exclusively administered by the Palestinian Authority (PA), and Area B is administered by both the PA and Israel, while Area C is completely controlled by Israel; therefore, any Palestinian projects to be implemented in Area C require the approval of the Israeli authorities.

Meanwhile in Occupied Jerusalem, the Israeli-controlled Jerusalem municipality crews distributed new demolition notices against a number of Palestinian houses in Silwan town.

On Tuesday, Israeli bulldozers demolished two houses in Silwan under the pretext that they lacked the required licenses.

(Source / 17.08.2017)

IOF demolishes two industrial facilities in Jenin

2 coal-production facilities demolished

Israeli occupation forces (IOF) on Wednesday demolished two coal-production facilities and seized several tons of wood in Ya’bad town to the southwest of Jenin, local sources reported.

Representative of coal workshops in Ya’bad, Kayed Abu Baker, said that an Israeli force accompanied by bulldozers broke into the area and confiscated several tons of wood used for manufacturing charcoal.

In an interview with Quds Press, Abu Baker added that the Israeli bulldozers swept away huge amounts of coal that were still under manufacturing causing a fire in the neighboring lands.

Abu Baker explained that Palestinian coal-production workshops are targeted at the request of Israeli settlers in the nearby settlements who claim that these workshops pollute the environment and cause health problems.

Abu Baker stressed in previous statements that Israeli settlers invent false excuses to seize more Palestinian lands in favor of expanding settlements.

He pointed to the existence of similar coal plants in the 1948 occupied Palestinian territories near the Israeli population centers yet no complaints are raised against them.

He noted that there are more than 30 coal-production workshops in the area which are repeatedly targeted by the IOF and which represent the main source of income for more than 1,000 Palestinian families living in Ya’bad and the surrounding villages.

The Palestinian unionist affirmed that the demolition on Wednesday took place without a prior warning, adding that owners of coal-production facilities in the area had previously filed complaints to human rights organizations and courts about the Israeli targeting of their facilities without reaching any positive result.

He continued that they will keep in contact with the concerned authorities to take the necessary legal steps against these violations.

(Source / 17.08.2017)

Video: Israeli forces bring terror to Jerusalem hospital

This video shows Israeli occupation forces bringing terror and violence inside East Jerusalem’s Al-Makassed hospital.

Israeli does respect any law in the world. It has only one law which is disrespecting others’ lives

This video shows Israeli occupation forces bringing terror and violence inside East Jerusalem’s Al-Makassed hospital.

At one point, Israeli occupation forces tried to seize a critically wounded man who was being taken to surgery.

The video shows medics and civilians attempting to protect the man, Muhammad Abu Ghanam, from being seized. But the 20-year-old died about 20 minutes after the commotion.

The video was published Sunday by the human rights group B’Tselem, along with a harrowing report on the 21 July Israeli raid.

The assault was part of Israel’s violent reaction to the campaign of civil disobedience and protests by Jerusalemites last month against Israeli moves to tighten control over the al-Aqsa mosque compound.

Abu Ghanam was one of the six Palestinians killed by Israeli forces during protests related to al-Aqsa.

Maternity ward raided

“Words fail to convey the gravity of the police’s conduct inside the hospital,” B’Tselem said.

“The fright engendered by scores of armed police raiding a hospital cannot be downplayed. When these feelings of terror are accompanied by an assault on medical staff and interference with medical care, the situation escalates to one of a real risk to the lives of the many patients in the hospital.”

B’Tselem’s report includes testimonies from medical staff describing dozens of heavily armed Israeli personnel raiding the hospital. They forced their way in, attacking security guards and civilians, who tried to defend the facility, with stun grenades and sponge-tipped bullets.

The Israelis kicked people out of the blood bank where dozens of volunteers were trying to donate desperately needed blood. They raided the maternity ward, including a room where a mother was present, and sprayed pepper spray into another that was empty. Staff gathered most of the mothers in one room and took their babies to the nursery to protect them.

Israeli forces blocked ambulance

Abu Ghanam had been involved in confrontations between Jerusalem youths and occupation forces in the al-Tur neighborhood when he was shot in the chest.

Israeli forces stood around him for five to 10 minutes without providing any medical assistance, according to B’Tselem. Then when a Red Crescent ambulance arrived, Israeli forces tried to obstruct it. But the paramedics were able to reach Abu Ghanam and get him into the ambulance – which one of the Israeli soldiers tried to get into as well.

“There was some mutual shoving between one of my colleagues and the two officers for about a minute, and then we got into the ambulance,” one of the medics told B’Tselem. “I locked the ambulance with the central locking system.”

The medics then managed to drive to the hospital, despite Israeli forces trying to block their way.

But for all the efforts of the medical staff, they could not save Abu Ghanam’s life. After he died, Palestinians managed to smuggle him out of the hospitall and take him for immediate burial, to avoid Israeli forces confiscating his body – a frequent form of collective punishment.

‘Cheap’ lives

report last month by Amnesty International called the Israeli assault on the hospital a “ruthless display of force.”

“The conduct of Israeli forces who carried out violent raids on Al-Makassed hospital harassing and intimidating staff and patients is utterly deplorable,” Amnesty’s deputy director for the Middle East and North Africa, said. “There can be no justification for preventing medical workers from caring for a critically wounded patient.”

Israeli forces habitually raid hospitals, even carrying out extrajudicial executions inside them.

The 21 July assault on Al-Makassed hospital, B’Tselem said, “is part of a much larger picture, one in which Israeli authorities repeatedly show the hundreds of thousands of Palestinian residents of Jerusalem just how unwanted they are in their own city and how cheap their lives are.”

(Source / 17.08.2017)

Israel bans laptops, food, toiletries for Palestinians leaving Gaza

Palestinians are no longer allowed to bring sandwiches with them when exiting the Gaza Strip

The Israeli military has instituted a travel ban on food, toiletries and most electronic devices for Palestinians exiting the Gaza Strip.

Even Palestinians traveling to conferences, for business or for studies abroad are not allowed to bring laptop computers

The Israeli military has instituted a travel ban on food, toiletries and most electronic devices for Palestinians exiting the Gaza Strip.

The army sent the new directive to Gisha, an Israeli NGO that promotes freedom of movement for Palestinians, a day before it went into effect earlier this month.

The directive was not, however, published in the “Status of Closure Authorisations,” a document meant to inform Palestinians in Gaza and the West Bank about restrictions on movement.

Even Palestinians traveling abroad, who must take a bus directly from the Gaza border — through Israel — to Jordan, are subject to the new restrictions.

Palestinians in Gaza are no longer allowed to bring their laptops, toiletries or hard-sided luggage when exiting Gaza through the only regularly active passenger border terminal, Israel’s Erez crossing.

Even Palestinians traveling to conferences, for business or for studies abroad are not allowed to bring laptop computers.

“Every Tuesday there is an organised ride from Erez Crossing for those who want to travel abroad, which takes them directly to Allenby Bridge so that they can go on to Jordan. Most of [the passengers] are students, especially at this time of the year,” said Gisha’s Intake Coordinator Shadi Butthish.

He added: “These are people who are traveling to get graduate degrees because Israeli policy does not allow Palestinian undergraduate students to travel.”

“Naturally, they would need to take laptops and tablets with them on their travels,” Butthish continued. “Even USBs will need to remain behind in the Strip. People who are flying abroad for a few years won’t be able to bring their electric shavers.”

Non-Palestinians are exempt from the new restrictions, as long as they declare any electronic devices included in their luggage.

Israel has held Gaza under a strict blockade since 2007, after Hamas won an election in the Strip and took over the enclave.

Since then, it has restricted basic goods from entering Gaza, and has significantly limited the number of people who can enter and exit the Strip — effectively cutting it off from the rest of the world.

After the 2014 Gaza war, Israel pledged to join international efforts to rehabilitate Gaza, saying it would ease the passage of goods and people to and from the Strip, but it did nothing more than increasing restrictions and hardening life.

(Source / 17.08.2017)

Israel revokes credentials of Al Jazeera journalist

Israel has been looking for any pretext to dismiss Al Jazeera

 Israel decided on Wednesday to revoke the press credentials of Al Jazeera journalist Elias Karram.
Two weeks ago, Kara made it clear that he decided to close Al Jazeera’s office in Jerusalem and asked satellite companies to stop working with it

Israel decided on Wednesday to revoke the press credentials of Al Jazeera journalist Elias Karram.

The decision came after a letter was sent from Communications Minister Ayoub Kara about Karram, a senior reporter at Al Jazeera’s Jerusalem bureau, as part of his efforts to shut down the Qatari-owned satellite network.

Kara claimed the Al Jazeera reporter had made remarks in May 2016 describing the journalistic work as an integral part of the resistance.

According to Israeli newspapers, the reporter was asked to attend a hearing at which the press office will make a final decision about his credentials.

He will be asked to explain how his 2016 remarks do not contradict journalistic ethics.

Two weeks ago, Kara made it clear that he decided to close Al Jazeera’s office in Jerusalem and asked satellite companies to stop working with it.

Israeli occupation wants throughout such measures to get rid of the TV which courageously discloses its crimes.

(Source / 17.08.2017)