Palestinian shot dead in al-Eizariya as clashes erupt in Jerusalem, West Bank

Palestinian killed al-Eizariya

JERUSALEM (Ma’an) — A day after widespread violence in the occupied Palestinian territory left three Palestinians killed, hundreds of others injured, as well as three Israeli settlers killed by a Palestinian, clashes continued in certain areas in occupied East Jerusalem and the West Bank on Saturday, leaving one Palestinian shot dead by Israeli fire and dozens more wounded.

Israeli forces shot at least two Palestinians with live bullets, critically injuring one, in the town of al-Eizariya in the central occupied West Bank district of Jerusalem during clashes there Saturday evening, a spokesperson for the Palestinian Red Crescent told Ma’an.
The seriously wounded Palestinian succumbed to his wounds a short time later, the Palestinian Ministry of Health confirmed in a statement.
He was first evacuated to a hospital in Jericho with shrapnel wounds all over his body in a serious condition, and later taken to the Palestinian Medical Complex in Ramallah, where he was declared dead, according to the statement.
The victim was identified as 23-year-old Yousif Kashur from the town of Abu Dis, just south of al-Eizariya.

Yousif Kashur

Kashur’s killing raised the number of Palestinians killed by Israelis since the beginning of the year to 50, 15 of whom were killed in the month of July alone; 13 Israelis have been killed by Palestinians in the same time frame.
Locals also reported clashes in Abu Dis, where resident of the town, 17-year-old Muhammad Lafi, was shot dead by Israeli forces during protests on Friday.Witnesses said Israeli troops stormed the town and used tear gas canisters, stun grenades, and rubber-coated steel bullets to disperse young Palestinian men who gathered in the town’s center and around al-Quds University.An Israeli army spokesperson said she was aware of reports of clashes in Abu Dis and al-Eizariya, but was unaware of any casualties there. She said however that “someone was building an explosive device in his home Abu Dis” and that the explosive went off accidentally, but could not provide further details.Later Saturday night, thousands of mourners took part in the funeral march for Kashur in Abu Dis.

Popular Resistance Committees’ spokesperson Hani Halabiya said that thousands of Palestinians performed the funeral prayer, paid their final farewells, and laid the young man to rest in the town’s cemetery. Some mourners waved flags for the leftist Palestine Liberation Organization (PLO) faction the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine (PFLP).Halabiya said that violent clashes erupted anew in at the entrance to the town and inside its center between Palestinian youths taking part in the funeral and Israeli forces.The slain 23-year-old was the son of Abbas Kashur, who was imprisoned in 1980, spending more than a decade in Israeli prison before being released in 1985 in a prisoners exchange deal with Israel.
The Palestinian Ministry of Health added that Abbas Kashur lost his hand while making a bomb that exploded prematurely in Jerusalem’s Old City with his cousin Badawi Kashur, who died in the incident. The ministry did not say when the accident occurred, but implied that it happened years ago, presumably before Abbas’ imprisonment.

Yousif Kashur1

Yousif Kashur, pictured with a headband for the PFLP

Meanwhile, after hundreds of worshipers performed the afternoon prayer outside of Al-Aqsa’s Lions’ Gate and Council Gate, Israeli forces forcibly dispersed them. Earlier in the day, a group of Palestinians set up a tent outside the Lions’ Gate after the midday prayer. Witnesses said that Israeli forces detained a young man and assaulted another as the soldiers tried to coerce the young men to remove the tent.Clashes broke out again at the Lions’ Gate in the evening, as protesting worshipers finishing the Maghrib prayer after sunset were attacked by hundreds of Israeli troops, including police on horseback, as Israeli forces also heavily fired tear gas, sound bombs, and sprayed the crowds with skunk water.

The Palestinian Red Crescent said that its medical crews treated 57 Palestinians who were injured by Israeli forces in Jerusalem on Saturday night, noting that most of the injuries were sustained by rubber-coated steel bullets and sound bombs, while 12 of the injured were transferred to a hospital for further treatment.

An Israeli police spokesperson also reported that between Saturday afternoon and evening, stones and Molotov cocktails were thrown at Israeli police in the occupied East Jerusalem neighborhoods of al-Tur, Issawiya, and near Shufaat refugee camp, as well as in the Old City, and that Israeli police and border guard officers responded with “riot-dispersal means.”

According to Israeli news daily Haaretz, a Palestinian was lightly hurt by a rubber-coated steel bullet fired by Israeli forces in the village of Kobar north of Ramallah in the central occupied West Bank, which has been under military closure since one of its residents carried out the deadly stabbing attack at a nearby illegal Israeli settlement the previous night.

Haaretz also reported clashes at Israel’s Qalandiya military crossing.
Israeli forces also suppressed a rally organized in the northern occupied West Bank village of Kafr Qaddum earlier Saturday afternoon.
Four Palestinians were shot there with rubber-coated steel bullets, according to coordinator of the village’s popular resistance committee Murad Shteiwi, who confirmed that medics from the Palestinian Red Crescent treated the four young men.
Shteiwi told Ma’an that “fierce clashes” erupted between local youths and Israeli troops who stormed the village when the rally kicked off after the afternoon prayer.
The rally, he said, was part of the village’s activities organized by the Fatah movement in support of Al-Aqsa Mosque in solidarity with worshipers who have been praying outside the holy site’s gates since last Sunday, in rejection of new metal detectors installed by Israeli authorities in the wake of a deadly attack on July 14 that left three Palestinians and two Israeli policemen killed.

Local chapters of Palestinian factions and political parties in Ramallah had also urged residents to join a demonstration at al-Manara Square in the city Saturday evening to protest Israeli policies in Jerusalem and Israeli attempts to divide Al-Aqsa Mosque, according to a joint statement by the groups.The statement said the aim of the gathering was to affirm that the Palestinian people “insist on Jerusalem as the eternal capital of the state of Palestine, and refuse the metal detectors at the gates of Al-Aqsa Mosque.”The factions also urged Palestinians to partake in “a day of rage” on Sunday against Israeli forces and settlers “in every corner and every street” in the Ramallah district, highlighting that a major rally was organized to take place at the Qalandiya military crossing at 5 p.m.A series of activities would be announced during the rally for the coming two days in response to “the Israeli occupation’s oppressive practices against our people in Jerusalem,” the joint statement said.

(Source / 23.07.2017)

Geef een reactie

Het e-mailadres wordt niet gepubliceerd. Vereiste velden zijn gemarkeerd met *