Article asked on this date

You have found the article

Dagelijks archief 16 juli 2017

Israeli forces detain 5 Palestinians, raid home of slain teenager in West Bank raids

Arrested raids WB

BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) — Israeli forces detained at least three Palestinians and raided the home of a slain Palestinian teenager during predawn raids in the occupied West Bank on Sunday, when a Palestinian man was also shot dead after being pursued by Israeli border police.Local sources said that Israeli forces detained 24-year-old Muhammad Khalil Farhat after raiding and searching his house in Hebron city in the southern occupied West Bank. An Israeli army spokesperson confirmed one detention in Hebron city.

The spokesperson also said one Palestinian was detained during a military raid in the town of Dura west of Hebron.

Local sources said that Israeli forces also installed military checkpoints at entrance to the village of al-Samu in the southern Hebron district and conducted security checks on all Palestinian residents passing in either direction.

In the town of Beit Ummar north of Hebron, Israeli forces also raided the house of slain Palestinian Omar Arafat Issa Zaaqiq,19, who was killed by Israeli forces in 2015 after he injured six Israeli soldiers in a car-ramming attacks.Local activist Muhammad Ayyad said that a large group of Israeli soldiers raided Zaaqiq’s house, searched it and demanded Zaaqiq’s father hand over all of the money in the house — a common practice during Israeli raids on Palestinian homes — under the allegation that the money had been given to him by Palestinian political factions.Ayyad said that Israeli soldiers confiscated Zaaqiq’s vehicle, which he noted was worth 70,000 thousand shekels ($19,686).Ayyad added that clashes erupted in the village during the raid, with Israeli forces firing tear gas canisters at Palestinians who threw rocks.Meanwhile in the southern occupied West Bank city of Bethlehem, Israeli forces raided al-Duheisha refugee camp, where a Palestinian teen was killed during a similar raid on Friday.Locals told Ma’an that Israeli forces raided a number of houses in the camp and the nearby town al-Doha.Violent clashes broke out between Israeli forces who fired tear gas canisters and sound bombs, and local Palestinian youth threw rocks at the armed forces.The Palestinian Red Crescent told Ma’an that a number of Palestinians suffered from tear gas inhalation, as Israeli soldiers fired gas canisters towards people’s homes.An Israeli army spokesperson said they were looking into the raids in Beit Ummar and al-Duheisha.In the central Ramallah district, Israeli police said that a Palestinian “youth” was detained during a raid to arrest a man who allegedly committing two drive-by shootings the previous day, that left one Palestinian man lightly injured.
The Palestinian Prisoner’s Society (PPS) said in a statement that one Palestinian, identified as Lutfi Muhamad Khalil, was detained from the Ramallah-area village of Kafr Ein “after being injured.”

Israel border police shot and killed the 34 year old when they arrived to the nearby village of Nabi Salih to apprehend the shooting suspect after he allegedly aimed a gun at the forces.
In the central West Bank district of Salfit, PPS said Israeli forces detained 24-year-old Ayman Dafil Daghamin and 27-year-old Mahmoud Abd al-Latif Deik.
Israeli raids in Palestinian towns, villages, and refugee camps are a daily occurrence in the occupied West Bank and East Jerusalem.
Due to the typically aggressive nature of the raids, clashes often erupt between local Palestinian youth who throw stones and are met in response with live fire, rubber-coated steel bullets, and tear gas, often resulting in serious, sometimes fatal, injuries.

(Source / 16.07.2017)

Israeli ministers approve bill ‘prohibiting division of Jerusalem’ in future peace talks

Praying near al-Aqsa Mosque

Muslim worshipers in June praying near Al-Aqsa mosque

BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) — The Israeli ministerial committee for legislative affairs reportedly approved on Sunday a bill that “prohibits the division of Jerusalem city,” in any future Israeli-Palestinian peace deal, according to Palestinian Authority (PA)-owned news agency Wafa.Wafa quoted an official Israeli government radio station as saying that the bill was unanimously approved by the committee, and that if passed by the Knesset, Israel’s parliament, any division of Jerusalem in peace talks would be prohibited, unless the division was supported by a vote of at least 80 MKs in favor.While Israel has long claimed Jerusalem as its capital, this has not been recognized by the international community, with even outspoken Israel supporter US President Donald Trump seemingly backing down from his electoral campaign promise to move the US embassy to Israel from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem.

The highly controversial promise, which was celebrated by Israeli officials, would have been seen as the first step to a drastic abdication of longstanding US policy that has largely adhered to international standards on Israel-Palestine, which maintains East Jerusalem as an intricate part of occupied Palestinian territory to be the capital of any future Palestinian state, despite Israel’s illegal annexation of the territory in 1967.
The fate of Jerusalem has been a focal point of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict for decades, with numerous tensions arising over Israeli threats regarding the status of non-Jewish religious sites in the city, and the “Judaization” of East Jerusalem through settlement construction and mass demolitions of Palestinian homes.Earlier this month, the United Nations Educational, Cultural and Scientific Organization’s (UNESCO) World Heritage Committee passed a resolution rejecting Israel’s claims of sovereignty over occupied East Jerusalem.The Old City of East Jerusalem has been the site of increasing tensions in recent days after the Israeli government closed off — and later reopened amid heightened security measures — following a deadly shooting attack on Friday that left two Israeli police officers and three Palestinians dead.The closure reportedly marked the first time the compound had been closed off to Muslims since 2014 and the first time since 1967 that Palestinians were restricted from attending Friday prayers.
(Source / 16.07.2017)

Army Abduct Six Palestinians In Ramallah, Salfit And Jerusalem

16 JUL
12:43 PM

Israeli soldiers abducted, Sunday, six young Palestinian men in the West Bank governorates of Ramallah, Salfit and Jerusalem.

The Ramallah office of the Palestinian Prisoners’ Society (PPS) said the soldiers abducted Mohammad Lutfi Khalil, after wounding him with live fire, in Kafr Ein village.

The soldiers also abducted Mahmoud Abdul-Latif Deek, 27, from his home in Salfit, in central West Bank.

In Jerusalem, the soldiers detained dozens of Palestinians, and interrogated them for several hours before releasing them, except for four Palestinians, who were remanded for further interrogation.

It is worth mentioning that the soldiers also abducted one Palestinian in Hebron, and one in Bethlehem, in the West Bank.

Earlier on Sunday, undercover Israeli soldiers killed a Palestinian man, identified as Amer Ahmad Tirawi, 34, in Nabi Saleh village, northwest of Ramallah.

(Source / 16.07.2017)

Israelis force Palestinian citizen to self-demolish his own shop

Self-demolished shop al-Kiswani

A Palestinian citizen was forced to knock down his own shop in Occupied Jerusalem after Israeli municipal crews threatened to fine him.

Palestinian citizen Hussein al-Kiswani said he demolished his own shop in Beit Hanina, north of Occupied Jerusalem, for fear of being fined by the Israeli occupation authorities.

Al-Kiswani said the occupation authorities turned down his appeals to cancel a demolition notification targeting his shop.

Israeli municipal crews threatened to reduce his shop to rubble and subject him to a steep fine in case he does not carry out the demolition on his own.

The targeted shop covers an area of 100 square meters and is worth over $100,000.

Al-Kiswani slammed the demolition order as arbitrary and oppressive, saying: “The Israelis don’t care an inch about us. They did not pay a heed to our appeals for a permit.”

(Source / 16.07.2017)

IOA installs electronic gates at Aqsa Mosque

Electronic gates al-Aqsa Mosque

On Sunday morning, the Israeli occupation authorities (IOA) installed electronic gates at the entrances of al-Aqsa Mosque in Occupied Jerusalem after the Israeli occupation municipality put its hands on the courtyards of the Mosque by force, trying to hide the destruction and damage caused by the Israeli soldiers.

Meanwhile, senior Israeli military and intelligence officers roamed the plazas of the holy Islamic site.

Media sources said the IOA began installing electronic gates at the entrances of al-Aqsa Mosque on Sunday morning, in order to tighten search and inspection procedures of all Palestinians wishing to enter the Mosque.

The sources reported that the municipality sent seven street cleaning vehicles and a big number of Jewish workers to clean the courtyards, which is happening for the first time.

The sources added that the Jewish cleaners are working to remove ruins and damage resulting from Israeli soldiers’ inspections, as well as to remove garbage, and the remains of food of soldiers in front of the Qibli Mosque in the holy compound. In the same context, sources said the IOA took over the keys of the Asbat Gate to facilitate entry of its cars into the courtyards of al-Aqsa.

The sources highlighted that the keys of the internal and external gates of al-Aqsa were seized by the IOA, which refuses to return them to the Jordanian Awqaf (endowments).

The sources also reported that senior Israeli officers are still roaming al-Aqsa Mosque courtyards, as dozens of officers of the so-called border police are still deployed in those courtyards.

On Sunday morning, the Israeli occupation forces prevented al-Aqsa employees from entering the Mosque and carrying out their work amidst a tight military siege imposed on al-Aqsa and the Old City for the third day in a row.

The PIC reporter said that the Israeli intelligence contacted a number of the Mosque’s guards last night, asking them not to reach or enter it.

The Israeli occupation forces arrested last night Gadu Ghoul, an employee at the fire department at al-Aqsa, at the Mazmouria military checkpoint in occupied Jerusalem.

The PIC reporter said dozens of Jerusalemites performed the dawn prayer at the nearest point to al-Aqsa Mosque and they hope they would be allowed to enter al-Aqsa Mosque to offer the noon prayer, after they were prevented from entering the Mosque since Friday morning as part of a punitive action following the shooting attack near al-Aqsa.

The IOA announced last night its intention to open the gates of al-Aqsa Mosque for Muslims, and allow Israeli settlers to storm the compound gradually starting from Sunday noon. The IOA decision includes the installation of electronic gates in addition to installing surveillance cameras at the courtyards of al-Aqsa Mosque.

The families and tribes of Occupied Jerusalem organized on Saturday night a protest from their neighborhoods, villages and towns towards al-Aqsa Mosque to perform the evening prayer at the blessed Mosque, and to call for lifting the siege on it.

The occupation forces intercepted them at the streets and roads leading to the Mosque, while dozens of them managed to access the Asbat Gate area, where violent clashes and confrontations erupted, as protesters chanted for Al-Aqsa.

At the same time, violent clashes erupted at the neighborhood of Bab Hitta, which is adjacent to al-Aqsa Mosque, at the Maghrib prayer, when the occupation forces blocked the prayer of Palestinian citizens in front of the Hitta Gate.

Meanwhile, the Israeli occupation forces closed the southern bus station this morning at Al-Masarara neighborhood in the holy city, which is opposite to the Jerusalem wall from Al-Amud Gate side.

The PIC reporter pointed out that tension is still running high in central Occupied Jerusalem, especially in the Old City and the surrounding areas, amid widespread deployment of occupation forces and vehicles.

(Source / 16.07.2017)

Hamas calls on Palestinian people to defend Aqsa Mosque

Hamas defend Al Aqsa

The Hamas Movement has called on the Palestinian people in the occupied territories to escalate their resistance of the Israeli occupation and rise up to defend the Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem.

In a press release issued by its Jerusalem affairs department on Saturday, Hamas also urged the Palestinian resistance factions to use all possible means, including the armed resistance, to defend the holy sites.

Hamas called for backing the Jerusalem intifada (uprising) against the occupation, its Judaization activities in the holy city, and its persistence in displacing the Jerusalemites and forcing them to leave the city.

Hamas also hailed the young men from the family of Jabbarin for their heroic shooting operation that killed two Israeli police officers and wounded another in the Old City of Jerusalem, describing them as “martyrs.”

It emphasized that the operation was in response to Israel’s crimes and violations in Jerusalem and at the Aqsa Mosque.

The Movement also urged the Arab and Muslim nations to support the steadfastness of the Palestinians in Jerusalem to help them confront Israel’s ongoing aggression against them.

(Source / 16.07.2017)

Resistance fighter killed in shootout with soldiers west of Ramallah

Ahmed Khalil murdered

A Palestinian resistance fighter on Sunday morning was killed during armed clashes with Israeli soldiers in Nabi Saleh town, west of Ramallah city in the occupied West Bank.

Hebrew media outlets said that a special military force encircled a house in the town where a young man was hiding after he carried out on Saturday a shooting attack against Israeli vehicles.

They added that the military force killed the young man after it traded fire with him.

Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper said that the Israeli army received intelligence information believing that the shooter, who opened fire at a military vehicle and a settler’s car, was hiding in a house in Nabi Saleh.

The slain Palestinian was identified as 34-year-old Ahmed Khalil, according to Hebrew media sources.

Local sources said that the Israeli soldiers withdrew from the town and took with them the martyr’s body.

(Source / 16.07.2017)

PA security arrests journalist, summons three others in W. Bank

PA arrested journalist

The Palestinian Authority (PA) security forces on Saturday arrested a Palestinian journalist and summoned three others, including a woman, in the West Bank.

Local sources told the Palestinian Information Center (PIC) that PA security soldiers rounded up journalist Abdul-Muhsen Shalaldeh as he was conducting interviews with citizens in Bethlehem.

Meanwhile, the PA preventive security apparatus summonsed three other journalists for interrogation in the West Bank. They are Ali Obeidat, Mohamed Awad and Rama Yousef (a woman).

Over the past few days, the PA security apparatuses launched a persecution campaign against Palestinian journalists and writers in the West Bank and arrested several of them.

The PA also blocked more news websites as part of its violations against freedom of the press.

(Source / 16.07.2017)

Unprecedented power cut in Gaza; 30 hours off, 2 hours on

Imagine that you have only two hours of electricity on and 30 hours off, what would you do?

Gaza's power distribution company said supplies to Gaza two million residents dropped to unprecedented lows as blackouts lasting for more than 30 hours.

Diesel fuel from neighbouring Egypt had kept the station running at half capacity since June 21, but deliveries were interrupted after a deadly attack on Egyptian soldiers last week near the border

Gaza’s power distribution company said supplies to Gaza two million residents dropped to unprecedented lows as blackouts lasting for more than 30 hours.

While the Palestinian enclave needs at least 500 megawatts of power a day, only 70 are available since Gaza’s power plant shut down late Wednesday.

Diesel fuel from neighbouring Egypt had kept the station running at half capacity since June 21, but deliveries were interrupted after a deadly attack on Egyptian soldiers last week near the border.

Israel, the main provider of power to Gaza, has cut power shipments at the request of Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas.

The Palestinian leader is trying to put pressure on Gaza’s Hamas rulers. The Palestinian movement that won general elections in 2006 and has been controlling Gaza since mid-2007.

Of course, Israel is playing a dirty game in this regard as it had agreed with Abbas –its servant– to announce his request in order to distance itself from the crisis it created as part of its 11-year-old strict siege.

(Source / 16.07.2017)

Israeli forces murder Palestinian citizen in West Bank

Israeli occupation forces claim they did not take the body of the Palestinian, but the Palestinians searched for him and did not find his body

Israeli occupation forces murdered on Sunday at dawn Palestinian citizen, kidnapped another in Nabi Saleh Village, west of West Bank city of Ramallah.

“They [the Israeli occupation forces] said that they did not take his body,” the eyewitness said, “but when we rushed to the area where he was shot dead, we did not find his body”

Israeli occupation forces murdered on Sunday at dawn Palestinian citizen, kidnapped another in Nabi Saleh Village, west of West Bank city of Ramallah.

Eyewitnesses in the Palestinian village said that the Israeli occupation forces followed a Palestinian car with only one passenger before dawn.

“A couple of minutes later,” one of the eyewitnesses said, “we heard sound of fire bullets in the nearby mountainous area.”

Later on, the Israeli occupation forces announced they had killed a Palestinian “terrorist” without identifying him.

According to the Israeli military sources, the Palestinian was “suspected” of carrying out two shootings at two different Israeli targets in the occupied West Bank.

But keeping his name unknown and claiming that they did not take his body indicate that their claims are not true.

“They [the Israeli occupation forces] said that they did not take his body,” the eyewitness told Days of Palestine, “but when we rushed to the area where he was shot dead, we did not find his body.”

Since the start of this year, the Israeli occupation forces have murdered 44 Palestinian citizens, including the three who were murdered on Friday inside Al-Aqsa Mosque and this Palestinian who is to be identified yet.

(Source / 16.07.2017)