Article asked on this date

You have found the article

Dagelijks archief 10 juli 2017

Palestinian shot dead after carrying out alleged vehicular attack on Israeli soldiers

Palestinian shot dead Tuqu

BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) — A Palestinian was shot and killed after he carried out an alleged vehicular attack on Israeli soldiers, lightly injuring one, at a junction near the village of Tuqu and the illegal Israeli settlement Maale Amos in the southern occupied West Bank district of Bethlehem.

An Israeli army spokesperson claimed that the alleged assailant rammed his car at Israeli forces stationed at the junction, leaving one Israeli soldier lightly wounded. The driver then allegedly exited his vehicle armed with a knife and attempted to stab the soldier, when another soldier fatally shot the Palestinian.
Israel’s emergency medical service Magen David Adom said it evacuated the 20-year-old Israeli soldier in a moderate condition to Israel’s Shaare Zedek hospital in Jerusalem for treatment, while the Palestinian driver was “neutralized” and treated by the Israeli army at the scene before being declared dead.

An eyewitness told Ma’an that he saw the Palestinian, who was wearing a red shirt, lying motionless on the ground, and claimed that he saw two wounded Israeli soldiers — one suffering from a serious injury and unable to move, and another with a minor injury. However, the Israeli army spokesperson said just one soldier had been wounded.
According to Ma’an documentation, the man, who remained unidentified, became the 37th Palestinian to be killed by an Israeli in 2017. Eight Israelis have been killed by Palestinians during the same time frame.
Israeli forces shot and killed a Palestinian near the Qalandiya military crossing last month with the Israeli army claiming he attempted to carry out a stabbing attack on Israeli soldiers. Since then, another young man was shot dead during an overnight military raid in Hebron, and an 18-month-old baby died two months after suffering from tear gas inhalation fired by Israeli forces during clashes in the village of Abud.
Israeli forces have been routinely criticized for their excessive use of force and for what rights groups have termed a “shoot-to-kill” policy against Palestinians who did not constitute a threat at the time of their death, or who could have been subdued in a non-lethal manner — amid a backdrop of impunity for Israelis who committed the killings.
(Source / 10.07.2017)

Israeli forces detain 10 Palestinians in raids including 11- and 12-year-old boys

IOF raids al-Duheisha refugee camp

Israeli army raids al-Duheisha refugee camp early Monday morning

BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) — Israeli forces detained at least 10 Palestinians — including two young children — in military raids across the occupied West Bank between Sunday night and Monday morning, with a raid into al-Duheisha refugee camp sparking fierce clashes with locals.

Israeli troops stormed the refugee camp, located in the southern occupied West Bank district of Bethlehem, around dawn time Monday, and broke into several homes after bursting open their front doors.
Locals told Ma’an that Israeli soldiers showered the camp with rubber-coated steel bullets and tear gas. Before they left, Israeli forces detained 22-year-old Haidar Izzat Abu Dayya, 18-year-old Yazan Yousif Manna, and 23-year-old Muhammad Yousif Milhem.
An Israeli army spokesperson confirmed the three detentions and said they were looking into reports of clashes to provide comment.
Meanwhile, earlier on Sunday evening, Israeli forces detained two Palestinian boys aged 11 and 12 years old, during a military raid in the village of al-Judeira in the Jerusalem district of the occupied West Bank.
Locals told Ma’an that Israeli troops raided the village and detained 11-year-old Khattab Muhammad Barjas and 12-year-old Hindi Nasser al-Hindi while the two were playing in front of their house.

IOF raids al-Duheisha refugee camp1

Locals highlighted that Israeli military raids are a daily occurrence into the village, which is subject to a heightened military presence due to its proximity to Israel’s illegal separation wall and military bases built on the community’s land.
An Israeli army spokesperson told Ma’an they were looking into reports of the raid.
In a predawn military raid into the southern occupied West Bank city of Hebron, Israeli forces detained two young men identified by locals Anas Naim Misk and Uday Muhammad Abu Turky.
During the raid, Israeli forces also delivered a summons to Raafat al-Julani, demanding that appear for questioning at an Israeli interrogation center.
An Israeli army spokesperson confirmed the two detentions in Hebron, and also said that an additional Palestinian was detained in the town of Yatta south of Hebron city.
She added that one Palestinian was detained in the northern West Bank city of Qalqiliya, and that another Palestinian was detained in the village of al-Jalama on the northernmost edge of the district of Jenin.
Israeli raids in Palestinian towns, villages, and refugee camps are a daily occurrence in the occupied West Bank, including East Jerusalem.
Due to the typically aggressive nature of the raids, clashes often erupt between local Palestinian youth who throw stones and are met in response with live fire, rubber-coated steel bullets, and tear gas, often resulting in serious, sometimes fatal injuries.
According to Palestinian prisoners’ rights group Addameer, there were 6,200 Palestinians held in Israeli prisons as of May, include 300 minors.

(Source / 10.07.2017)

Israel continues to deny family visits to Hamas-affiliated prisoners from Gaza

Hamas visitors denied

GAZA CITY (Ma’an) — Fourteen Palestinians in the besieged Gaza Strip, including one child, were able to visit their relatives held in Israeli prisons Monday morning, amid a marked drop in the number of prisoners being allowed to receive such visits, some two weeks after Hamas accused Israel of suspending visits to prisoners affiliated to the faction.

Suheir Zaqqut, a spokeswoman for the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC), the organization responsible for coordinating with Israeli authorities to arrange family visitations for Palestinian prisoners, told Ma’an that the visits were arranged for the 14 people to visit nine Palestinian detainees held in the Beersheba prison complex in the Negev desert.
The ICRC arranges visits for family members of Gazan prisoners every Monday, however, the number prisoners being permitted by Israel to receive the visits has been greatly reduced since Hamas said that Israel decided to suspend family visitations for all Hamas-affiliated prisoners from the besieged Gaza Strip.
Previously, around 80 family members a week were able to leave Gaza to see their relatives, compared to Monday’s 14.
Zaqqut confirmed that the ICRC noticed the drop in approvals, affirming to Ma’an that “every detainee has the right to receive family visits.”
According to prisoners’ rights group Addameer, out of approximately 6,200 Palestinian prisoners held in Israeli jails, 330 are from the Gaza Strip. The Palestinian Committee of Prisoners’ affairs has said that 113 prisoners affiliated to Hamas from Gaza had their right to family visits suspended.
An IPS spokesperson has yet to comment on the matter to Ma’an.
The ICRC released a statement in May, amid a mass prisoners hunger strike, calling on Israel to abide by international humanitarian law and increase family visits, after Israel suspended visits to all hunger-striking prisoners and visitation permits for their families.
The statement pointed out that under International Law and the Fourth Geneva Convention, an occupying power is forbidden to hold prisoners from an occupied territory outside of the occupied land, however the vast majority of Palestinian prisoners from the occupied West Bank and Gaza are held in prisons inside Israel.
Consequently, family members of prisoners have less access to their relatives, as they need special permits that are difficult to obtain, and have to undertake long trips to see their loved ones, with checks and waiting times when crossing checkpoints and at the prison.
More than two months after the 40-day hunger strike’s conclusion, Israeli authorities revoked entry permits for family members of prisoners who had taken part in the strike.
The ICRC faced anger last year when it reduced the number of monthly visits it facilitates from two times a month to just one, and one of the confirmed outcomes of the hunger strike was an agreement to reinstate the second visit, to be funded by the Palestinian Authority.
The ICRC “Family Visits Program” for Gazans was previously suspended by Israeli authorities in June 2007 when Hamas came to power in the coastal enclave.
All communication between Gazan prisoners and the outside world was effectively cut off, and during a Palestinian prisoners’ hunger strike in April 2012, one of the prisoners’ key demands was that the program be reinstated.
Israel agreed to resume the visits on the conclusion of the hunger strike, although prisoners rights group Addameer has previously said that not all Gazan prisoners have been allowed to receive visitors.
The Gaza Strip has been under a crippling blockade since Hamas took power in 2007. The 2 million of residents in Gaza are largely confined to the small strip of coastal land, save those who are granted travel or work permits via Israel’s borders, or the special “humanitarian cases” that are allowed to pass through Egypt’s Rafah crossing which opens a few times per year.
(Source / 10.07.2017)

Palestinian youth fatally shot by Israeli soliders

Young man shot dead Tekou'

A Palestinian young man was shot dead by the Israeli occupation soldiers on Monday allegedly after he attempted to carry out an anti-occupation car-ramming attack near Bethlehem’s southern town of Tekou’.

According to the Hebrew-speaking Yedioth Aharonot newspaper, Israeli soldiers fired multiple gunshots at a Palestinian youth near Tekou’ on claims that he rammed his car into Israeli soldiers, injuring a solider.

The casualty breathed his last right on the spot.

Speaking with PIC, eye-witnesses said the Israeli forces sealed off the main entrances to the town and intensified presence around the area.

Crowds of Israeli settlers also showed up at the scene.

The Israeli army troops prevented Red Crescent paramedics from evacuating the casualty, director of the Palestinian Red Crescent in Bethlehem, Mohamed Awad, told PIC.

Awad added that Red Crescent paramedics caught sight of a young man bleeding on the ground while his body was wrapped up in a plastic bag.

Israeli ambulances were however allowed to transfer three soldiers to the hospital.

The Palestinian Health Ministry confirmed the piece of news but said no details are available on the identity of the slain youth.

(Source / 10.07.2017)

Israeli army closes Deir area in Jordan Valley

Deir area closed

The Israeli occupation army last night closed al-Deir area in the northern Jordan Valley and prevented local residents from returning home without searching them and their vehicles.

Local activist Aref Daraghmeh said that Israeli soldiers along with a settlement security guard set up a roadblock in the area and intercepted passing tractors and vehicles boarded by local residents.

The Palestinians in al-Deir area are exposed to repeated persecution by Israeli soldiers and settlers to force them to leave their homes.

(Source / 10.07.2017)

Palestinian kid badly injured in police attack on Issawiya

Kid injured Issawiya

A Palestinian child on Sunday evening was badly injured by an Israeli rubber bullet while he was on the balcony of his house in Issawiya district, east of Occupied Jerusalem.

According to a Palestinian Information Center (PIC) reporter, Israeli police forces intensively and indiscriminately fired rubber bullets as well as stun and tear gas grenades after storming Issawiya and clashing with local young men.

The reporter added that 12-year-old Nour Moustafa suffered a rubber bullet injury in his face during the evening.

Paramedics, who transferred the kid to Hadassah Hospital, said the bullet wounded the boy in his left eye and nose.

The Israeli police intensified their raids on Issawiya district and restricted the movement of its residents over the past few days.

(Source / 10.07.2017)

IOA notifies halting work in agricultural reserve in Nablus

Agricultural land Nablus

The Israeli occupation authorities (IOA) on Sunday ordered halting work in an agricultural land in Aqraba town to the southeast of Nablus city.

Head of the Wall and Settlement Resistance Committee in Aqraba, Yousuf Deiriya, said that an Israeli army force, accompanied by officials from the so-called Planning and Building Committee, stormed Khirbat al-Tawil east of the town and handed the residents working in the 100-dunum reserve stop-work notices.

The IOA claimed that the area is a military zone where exercises are conducted by the Israeli army from time to time, Deiriya added.

He pointed out that Khirbat al-Tawil, one of the most fertile agricultural areas overlooking the Jordan Valley, is repeatedly targeted by the Israeli occupation with arbitrary demolitions that are aimed at displacing Palestinians and seizing their lands.

(Source / 10.07.2017)

Israeli force breaks into Silwan in Jerusalem

IOF stormed Silwan

A special Israeli force, accompanied by Israeli intelligence officers and municipality staff, stormed on Sunday afternoon Silwan town in Occupied Jerusalem.

The PIC reporter said that the Israeli officers took photos of Palestinian houses and shops and distributed demolition notices to a number of shops in the town.

He pointed out that Israeli raids and harassment have escalated in Silwan during the past few days.

The Israeli police forces carry out regular break-ins into the Arab neighborhoods of Jerusalem targeting the Jerusalemites’ houses and shops under various allegations.

(Source / 10.07.2017)

Cancer-stricken patients health takes turn for worse in Gaza

Cancer-stricken patients

The Gaza-based Palestinian Health Ministry warned of a sharp deterioration to rock the health status of cancer-stricken patients due to the acute shortage in life-saving medicines and difficulties in inter-hospital transfers.

The Health Ministry spokesman Ashraf al-Qidra said several cancer-stricken patients have become on the verge of death after Gaza’s Rantisi Hospital had run out of 20 types of much-needed medicines that make part of regular treatment protocols.

Al-Qidra attributed the crisis to the reluctance of the Palestinian Authority (PA), chaired by Mahmoud Abbas, to transfer patients to hospitals outside Gaza.

According to data by the Health Ministry, 12 Palestinians from the blockaded Gaza Strip were pronounced dead since the start of 2017, after they were prevented by the PA from receiving treatment outside Gaza.

(Source / 10.07.2017)

Israeli court jails head of Palestinian Women’s Union without charge

Khitam al-Saafin

The Israeli Ofer court on Sunday sentenced the head of the Union of Palestinian Women’s Committees, Khitam al-Saafin, to administrative detention, with neither charge nor trial.

Head of the legal unit at Addameer Prisoner Support and Human Rights Association, lawyer Mahmoud Hassan, said a court hearing is scheduled for Wednesday, July 12, to confirm the administrative sentence at Ofer court.

Al-Saafin was arrested on July 2 from her family home in the West Bank. Palestinian MP Khalida Jarrar was arrested on the same day.

Sometime earlier, as no evidence was brought forward, the military prosecution demanded more time to investigate the two cases.

(Source / 10.07.2017)