Israel continues closure of main road connecting Bethlehem-area villages

Straatafsluiting Bethlehem

BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) — Israeli forces continued to impose road closures on a main road in the southern occupied West Bank district of Bethlehem for the fifth day in a row on Monday, blockading a route used every day by thousands of commuters from four Palestinian villages.

Five days ago, Israeli forces placed rocks and dirt mounds in the middle of a road near the village of al-Khader. Though the closure does not directly affect the residents of al-Khader, the road serves as a main route between the city of Bethlehem and the villages of Husan, Battir, Nahhalin, and Wadi Fukin.
Israeli forces have yet to clear the road or provide residents with a reason for the closure.
An Israeli army spokesperson said they were looking into reports.
Israeli forces imposed a more than two-week closure on the same entrance last month over claims that Palestinian youths from the area threw rocks at Israeli settlers’ cars passing on a road near Husan.
Israel has come under harsh international condemnation for its response to alleged stone throwing by Palestinian youth through erecting checkpoints and roadblocks, which rights groups have said amounted to “collective punishment” and represents a clear violation of international law.
(Source / 27.03.2017)

Leave a Reply

Het e-mailadres wordt niet gepubliceerd. Verplichte velden zijn gemarkeerd met *