Article asked on this date

You have found the article

Dagelijks archief 23 maart 2017

14-year-old child among several Palestinians kidnapped in IOF sweep

14-jarige opgepakt

Several Palestinians, including a 14-year-old minor, were kidnapped by the Israeli occupation forces (IOF) at predawn Thursday in mass abduction sweeps launched across the West Bank and Jerusalem.

The IOF kidnapped seven Palestinians from the northern West Bank province of Qalqilya.

A PIC news correspondent said the IOF rolled into Qalqilya city in over 20 military jeeps and attacked the Palestinian protesters with spates of teargas canisters, resulting in several suffocation cases.

The assault triggered violent clashes with Palestinian anti-occupation youth.

The list of arrestees included ex-prisoner Tahseen al-Adl, who was kidnapped by the IOF from his own family home.

The occupation army further stormed Qalqilya’s eastern town of Azzoun, where Palestinian vehicles and civilians were subjected to thorough inspection.

Another Palestinian youth—Baraa Abu Nawas—was kidnapped by the IOF from Qatr al-Nada residential apartment in Nablus’s western neighborhood of al-Ma’ajin.

Abu Nawas was later dragged to an anonymous location in an armored military truck.

Overnight, Palestinian citizen Bashar Mleitat, from Nablus’s eastern town of Beit Furik, sustained wounds after he had been heavily beaten by the Israeli soldiers.

The Israeli soldiers also stormed Attil town, in Tulkarem, in a number of army vehicles and kidnapped the youngster Youssef al-Shalabi before they wreaked havoc on his family home and attacked his relatives.

A military checkpoint was also pitched by the IOF in al-Mesriyeh Mount.

Palestinian citizen Muthana al-Sadala was kidnapped by the Israeli soldiers from his home in Anabta town, east of Tulkarem.

Meanwhile, another Palestinian citizen was kidnapped by the IOF from Bethlehem.

At the same time, the Israeli forces set up ambushes across Jenin province and a checkpoint on the Jenin-Haifa access road, near the main entrance to Zabouba town, where Palestinian drivers have been made to endure intensive questioning.

The campaign culminated in the abduction of 14-year-old minor Jamal al-Ghoul from Occupied Jerusalem.

(Source / 23.03.2017)

Morocco MP: Algeria is disintegrating

Image of Ilyas El Omari [Facebook]

Image of Ilyas El Omari

Morocco relies on the collapse of power in Algeria, according to the head of the Moroccan Party of Authenticity and Modernity (PAM) that is closely affiliated to the royal palace of King Mohammed VI.

“The Algerian regime is on the verge of disintegration,” Ilyas El Omari, also the governor of the Tangier-Tetouan-Al Hoceïma region, said in an interview with the Spanish-language Atalayar newspaper published yesterday.

For El Omari, “what happens in [the region of] Guerguerate is directly linked to the internal crisis in Algeria” which “is experiencing a serious institutional, economic and social crisis.”

Read: Tensions between Algeria and Morocco at Arab League

Guerguerate is considered “an illegitimate zone” where “smuggling of tobacco, foods diverted from the Saharawi camps of Tindouf” and “proximity to the centres of Islamic terrorism in the Great Sahara and the Atlantic Ocean” are rife, according to Morocco.

“The Polisario [Front] cannot fire a single shot and its secretary-general, appointed by Algiers, cannot move a finger without order from Algeria,” he explained, referring to the secessionist Sahrawi Arab rebels in the contested Western Sahara, fighting against Rabat.

According to the politician, it is a situation where “Algeria, through the Polisario, jeopardises not only Morocco, but also international trade and regional security in the Atlantic.”

Morocco and Spain must be particularly “vigilant”, El Omari said.

Algeria has long backed the Polisario Front’s fight for the self-determination of the Sahrawi people in the Western Sahara against Morocco who considers the disputed territory part of its sovereign territory. Algeria does so in order to weaken its western neighbour.

El Omari, who came second in the legislative elections last October, also warned of the disintegration of Algeria. “The president is sick and an invalid, the struggle for succession is in progress, [there is a dizzying] fall in oil prices, rising unemployment and empty state coffers.”

(Source / 23.03.2017)

Netanyahu will not freeze settlements in occupied Jerusalem

Image of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on 11 February 2017 [Facebok]

Image of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu on 11 February 2017 [Facebook]

Benjamin Netanyahu has said that his government will not freeze settlements in occupied Jerusalem, Israeli media reported on Wednesday.  He said,

The issue of halting building projects in the Israeli neighbourhoods in East Jerusalem is not part of the [current] negotiations with the US administration

Netanyahu made his comments during his tour to China, where he told journalists on Tuesday that talks between the Israelis and the Americans about settlements started the day before. However, he noted, they ended without “any breakthrough or progress,” although they will resume soon.

Read: The regional settlement Israel has in mind

The Israeli leader also said that the main aim of the Israeli delegation to Washington is to reach an agreement for a new settlement for those settlers who were evacuated last month from Amona outpost in the West Bank city of Ramallah. Amona was illegal, even under Israeli law; all Israeli settlements are illegal under international law. According to Haaretz, Netanyahu said that he had not “retreated” from his promise to build a brand new West Bank settlement for the Amona evacuees.

The Times of Israel pointed out that when US President Donald Trump told Netanyahu that he “would like to see you hold back on settlements for a little bit” during a February meeting, the prime minister said that he was working with the US to “establish a mechanism” regarding construction in settlements. Effectively, though, Netanyahu rejected Trump’s hint due to opposition from his coalition partners, notably Jewish Home, as well as his own Likud party.

(Source / 23.03.2017)

IOF kidnaps MP Ibrahim Dahbour near Jenin

Ibrahim Dahbour

The Israeli occupation forces (IOF) on Wednesday evening  kidnapped Palestinian lawmaker Ibrahim Dahbour, from Hamas, at a roadblock near Arraba town, southwest of Jenin city in the West Bank.

Rahma Dahbour, the lawmaker’s daughter, told Quds Press that Israeli soldiers rounded up her father at a makeshift checkpoint on a road near Arraba and confiscated the car he was driving.

Two other Hamas-affiliated lawmakers had been kidnapped from their homes earlier during the current month.

On March 9, Israeli soldiers stormed at dawn the house of MP Samira Halayka in Ash-Shuyukh town, northeast of al-Khalil province, and took her prisoner.

MP Mohamed Attal was also kidnapped from his home on March 21 in ad-Dhahiriya, southwest of al-Khalil.

With these new arrests, the number of Palestinian lawmakers in Israeli jails has risen to 12, 10 of them from the Hamas Movement.

(Source / 23.03.2017)

Fahd Stresses Assad Must Be Held Accountable in Conference on Protection against Toxic Substances

Secretary-General of the Syrian Coalition Abdel Ilah Fahd stressed the need to hold the Assad regime accountable for the use of chemical weapons against Syrian civilians.

Speaking at the 8th International Conference on the Protection against Toxic Substances being held in Singapore between Tuesday and Thursday, Fahd criticized the international community for remaining silent on the regime’s crimes and its ignoring of the suffering of the Syrian people.

An investigation by the United Nations and the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) showed that the Assad regime was responsible for chlorine attacks that killed scores of civilians in the rebel-held areas in 2014 and 2015.

On February 28, Russia and China vetoed a UN Security Council resolution that would have imposed sanctions on the Assad regime over the use of chemical weapons against civilians.

At least 1,491 people have so far been killed in chemical attacks by the Assad regime since March 2011, Fahd said. He added that these attack affected around 15,000 people, mostly women and children.

Fahd pointed out that medical facilities in Syria lack the necessary medicines and equipment to treat victims of chemical attacks, especially in view of the systematic targeting of these facilities by the Assad regime and Russian forces.

Chemical attacks by the Assad regime mainly targeted the rebel-held areas while avoiding to hit the areas controlled by the UN- designated terrorist groups.

The EU has placed four high-ranking Assad army officers on a sanctions blacklist over chemical weapons attacks on civilians in Syria.

The decision brings to 239 the number of Assad regime individuals hit with travel bans or asset freezes over the violent suppression of civilians since the revolution started in 2011, according to a European Union statement issued on Monday.

The high-ranking regime officials Ahmad Balul, Sajji Darwish, Mohammed Ibrahim, and Badie Mualla will be banned entry to the EU countries and will not be able to access any assets within the EU countries or banks.

(Source: Syrian Coalition’s Media Department / 23.03.2017)

Israeli forces detain Palestinian youth in Hebron over alleged knife possession

Alweer zogenaamd mes

HEBRON (Ma’an) — Israeli forces detained a Palestinian youth in the southern occupied West Bank city of Hebron on Wednesday night for allegedly being in possession of a knife.

An Israeli army spokesperson told Ma’an that a “suspect with a knife” approached an Israeli checkpoint near the Ibrahimi Mosque in the Old City of Hebron.
The spokesperson did not clarify whether the Palestinian was attempting to carry out a stabbing attack, but highlighted that he was detained “without the use of live fire.”
Israeli forces have detained scores of Palestinians for allegedly being in possession of knives in the past year following a spate of alleged and actual small-scale knife attacks by Palestinians that surged in the fall of 2015.
Rights groups have disputed Israel’s version of events in a number of cases, also denouncing what they have termed as a “shoot-to-kill” policy against Palestinians who did not constitute a threat at the time of their death, or who could have been subdued in a non-lethal manner — amid a backdrop of impunity for Israeli forces who have committed the killings.
Eyewitnesses have also said in a number of cases that Israeli security forces planted knives on slain Palestinians to claim that they were acting in self-defense during a stabbing attack — most recently in a contested case earlier this month in Hebron.
(Source / 23.03.2017)

Israeli forces raid Tulkarem print shops, confiscate equipment

Printshop Tulkarem

TULKAREM (Ma’an) — Israeli forces raided and sacked two Palestinian print shops in the northern occupied West Bank city of Tulkarem at dawn on Thursday and confiscated equipment.

Ali Abu Saleh, the owner of the two print shops, told Ma’an that large numbers of Israeli troops raided his home in the Shweika neighborhood and demanded that he let them access his stores.
Abu Saleh said that Israeli soldiers searched his shop in the Shweika area, where they confiscated equipment, printed materials, and destroyed security camera footage.
Israeli forces also raided Abu Saleh’s other print shop in central Tulkarem, breaking the front door and also confiscating equipment and materials.
Printshop Tulkarem1
An Israeli army spokesperson told Ma’an that Israeli forces had raided the shops because they printed “inciting material.”
However, Abu Saleh rejected the army’s claims, calling them baseless, adding that 20 people were out of work following the raids.
Israeli forces had also raided another Tulkarem print shop earlier this month.
Israeli forces have previously targeted printing shops where posters commemorating Palestinians killed by Israeli forces were manufactured.
Since the beginning of the year, one Palestinian from Tulkarem was killed and another from the city succumbed to fatal injuries, after being shot by Israeli forces for allegedly attempting to commit attacks.
In the past year, Israel has targeted Palestinian media institutions and civilians, including activists and journalists, alleging that a wave of unrest that swept the occupied Palestinian territory in October 2015 was encouraged largely by “incitement.”
Printshop Tulkarem2
(Source / 23.03.2017)

Israel working to return bodies of 1967 Jordanian soldiers found in Jerusalem

Lichamen Jordaanse soldaten

BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) — The Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced in a statement on Wednesday that it had halted excavations in the occupied East Jerusalem neighborhood of Sur Bahir after finding the remains of three Jordanian soldiers earlier this month.

Reports earlier this month stated that the bodies of two unidentified soldiers had been found in the area.
However, the ministry said that three bodies had in fact been found, and identified them as belonging to Jordanian soldiers who fought in the 1967 Arab-Israeli war.
According to locals, the district west of Sur Bahir where the remains were found, was a Jordanian military camp named al-Jaras which Israeli forces occupied during a battle with the Jordanian army in 1967 in which six Israeli soldiers and 85 Jordanian soldiers were killed.
The Israeli ministry said that procedures were underway to transfer the bodies to Jordan.
Meanwhile, Israel continues to hold the bodies of a number of Palestinians who allegedly or actually committed attacks against Israelis, in a policy which rights groups have denounced as collective punishment and a violation of international law.
(Source / 23.03.2017)

Haaretz: Undeclared US approval for settlement construction

Illegale nederzetting in Jeruzalem

The US administration has given the Israeli government its approval for settlement construction in Occupied Jerusalem, without openly stating this position, according to Haaretz newspaper.

The newspaper said on Thursday that US envoy Jason Greenblatt, who arrived in the occupied territories last week, conveyed US president Donald Trump’s “silent consent” to Israel’s settlement construction in Jerusalem during his meetings with Israeli premier Benjamin Netanyahu.

However, it noted that this US approval was given on condition that construction activities should be confined only to Jewish outposts and major settlement blocs in east Jerusalem and not outside their boundaries.

Haaretz said that Netanyahu expressed reservation at the US proposal and refused to halt construction outside the settlement blocs.

Consequently, the US and Israeli sides failed to reach an agreement in this regard and decided to discuss other formulas in talks slated for Washington this week between Netanyahu and Trump.

(Source / 23.03.2017)

Video shows Israeli soldier attacking group of Palestinians

Zio soldaat valt Palestijnen aan

A newly released video showing an Israeli soldier brutally attacking a group of Palestinians in occupied Jerusalem went viral on social media on Wednesday evening.

The footage revealed dramatic moments of an Israeli soldier’s attack on a group of Palestinians.

The soldier, from the Israeli Special Forces unit, was seen approaching a group of people and suddenly attacking them without any justification.

(Source / 23.03.2017)