The Israeli prison authority on Tuesday transferred hunger-striking journalist Mohamed al-Qiq to hospital after a sharp decline in his health condition, according to his family.
The journalist’s wife, Fayha Shalash, told the Palestinian Information Center (PIC) that her husband’s lawyer had been informed yesterday of his transfer to Assaf Harofeh Hospital after health complications.
Shalash said that hospitalizing her husband was an indication of his suffering from serious health deterioration, affirming that his current hunger strike would be different from the previous one.
“Mohamed has staged the current hunger strike while he is still tired and exhausted by the previous one, which lasted about 90 days,” she explained.
34-year-old Qiq has been on hunger strike since February 6 to protest his detention administratively, without indictment or trial.
The Israeli occupation army rearrested Mohamed Qiq on January 15, 2017 and decided to rejail him administratively for three renewable months.
In November 2015, he had staged a hunger strike for 94 days to protest his administrative detention before he extracted a decision to release him on May 19, 2016.
Qiq is a Palestinian journalist and reporter at the Saudi News Agency al-Majd TV Network. He is a father of two children and lives in the village of Abu Qash in Ramallah. He has a master’s degree in contemporary Arab studies from Birzeit University.
(Source / 08.03.2017)