6 Palestinians arrested in predawn raids

WEST BANK, (PIC)– The Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) arrested at dawn Tuesday six Palestinians after carrying out combing and raid operation across the West Bank. In al-Khalil, Israeli forces arrested three Palestinians from different parts of the city.  Eyewitnesses told the PIC reporter that two arrests were carried out in al-Louz neighborhood while the third was arrested after being stopped while driving in the area. In Bethlehem, Israeli forces arrested two young men after violently breaking into their homes. One of the detainees is with special needs. An ex-prisoner who spent more than ten years in Israeli jails was also arrested in Nablus. Meanwhile, Israeli forces closed without prior notice all entrances leading to Barta’a town in Jenin to the north of occupied West Bank and carried out a combing operation amid overflights of Israeli helicopters. A state of high alert was declared by the IOF in the town and all the neighboring villages. Local sources told the PIC reporter that Israeli soldiers were calling out from a loudspeaker for a settler who is apparently missing. The search operations lasted from late at night till early morning, the sources added.

(Source / 03.05.2016)

124 Israeli violations at Muslims’ sacred places in April

RAMALLAH, (PIC)– Palestinian Minister of Awqaf and Religious Affairs Yousif Edais said that Israeli occupation forces and settlers carried out 124 violations against Muslims’ sacred places during April; mostly at the Aqsa Mosque in Occupied Jerusalem and al-Haram al-Ibrahimi Mosque in al-Khalil. In a statement on Monday, Sheikh Edais pointed out that the IOF banned calling for prayers at al-Ibrahimi Mosque for 63 times and continued their aggressive practices at Waqf properties in Jericho, al-Khalil and Joseph’s Tomb in Nablus.  Minister Edais underlined that about 1800 settlers stormed the Aqsa Mosque last month bringing the number of settlers who broke into the holy site since the beginning of the year to 4800.

(Source / 03.05.2016)

Palestinian shot, killed at Beitunia checkpoint

RAMALLAH, (PIC)– A Palestinian young man was shot and killed Tuesday evening by Israeli gunfire after he allegedly rammed his car into a group of Israeli soldiers near the illegal settlement of Dolev in Ramallah, injuring three of them. Israeli 0404 website claimed that a suspected car ramming attack occurred Tuesday evening at a junction near the illegal Israeli settlement of Dolev northwest of Ramallah. Palestinian Health Ministry affirmed in a brief statement that an unidentified Palestinian young man was shot and killed at Beitunia checkpoint west of Ramallah. Yediot Ahranot Hebrew newspaper said that three Israelis were injured, one of them in critical condition, in a car ramming attack.  The suspected driver was immediately shot and killed, according to the paper. Israeli ambulance crews rushed to the area while Israeli helicopters transferred the seriously injured soldier to hospital. More than 200 Palestinians were shot and killed by Israeli soldiers since October 2015. With the Palestinian death rate climbing as Israeli forces continue their crackdown on Palestinian protesters across the occupied West Bank and Gaza Strip’s border, Israel’s extrajudicial killings policy is once again being questioned.  Amnesty International has recently released a report titled, “No Justification for deliberate attacks on civilians, unlawful killings by Israeli forces, or collective punishment of Palestinians”. The report said that many of the Israeli killings come close to the definition of extrajudicial killings.

(Source / 03.05.2016)

Jerusalemite citizen forced to demolish his 3 stores

OCCUPIED JERUSALEM, (PIC)– The Israeli municipality in occupied Jerusalem forced on Tuesday a Jerusalemite citizen to demolish his three stores under the pretext of being built without permit. Eyewitnesses affirmed that a Jerusalemite man was forced to demolish his three stores in Silwan town south of occupied Jerusalem. The three demolished stores were built seven years ago over an area of 75 square meters, according to the sources. On the other hand, Israeli police continued its violent raid campaigns and demolition notifications across Silwan town under flimsy pretexts.

(Source / 03.05.2016)

3 Palestinian journalists injured by Israeli gunfire

On World Press Freedom Day

RAMALLAH, (PIC)– Three Palestinian journalists were injured Tuesday after Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) suppressed a peaceful march organized by the Journalists Syndicate near Ofer prison. Participants at the peaceful march held banners and chanted slogans calling for the immediate release of the journalist Omar Nazzal and putting an end to Israeli violations against Palestinian journalists. Three journalists were taken to Ramallah hospital for treatment as they suffered different injuries due to the excessive use of teargas bombs and sound grenades by the IOF soldiers. Medical sources identified the three injured journalists as Mohamed Abu Shusha, Ali Abeidat, and Zaher Abu Hussein.

(Source / 03.05.2016)

Around 280 Israeli violations against journalists since Oct

‘Doing this, Israel is trying to cover up its crimes against the Palestinians,’ Farwaneh said.

Israeli occupation carried out around 280 violations against Palestinian journalists and media offices since October 2015, report said on Monday.

Farwaneh called for international bodies to “seriously act” in solidarity with their colleagues in order to afford protection for Palestinian journalists

Days of Palestine, West Bank -Israeli occupation carried out around 280 violations against Palestinian journalists and media offices since October 2015, report said on Monday.

PLO’s Prisoners and Freed Prisoners Committee Researcher Abdul-Naser Farwaneh said in the report, marking Wold Press Freedom Day, that the Israeli occupation placed restrictions on media outlets and closed a number of media offices.

He also said that he counted all the Israeli violations happened since October 2015, when Al-Quds Intifada started.

During this time, he said that the Israeli occupation arrested tens of journalists, who spent different periods inside Israeli jails, noting that 19 of them are still behind bars.

Farwaneh said that the Israeli occupation has also closed seven media offices, one TV station and three radios in the occupied West Bank. “The occupation confiscated broadcasting equipment,” he said.

The reason for the attacks, Farwaneh explained: “The Israeli occupation is trying to cover up its crimes committed against the Palestinians, the confiscation of their land and the damage it causes to their homes and properties.”

At the end of his report, Farwaneh called for international bodies to “seriously act” in solidarity with their colleagues in order to afford protection for Palestinian journalists.

(Source / 03.05.2016)

Mosul offensive could displace 30,000 in weeks: UN

An American soldier has been killed by the Islamic State group in northern Iraq

Iraqi soldiers guard a position on the front line against the Islamic State (IS) group in Iraq’s Anbar province

The UN’s refugee agency on Tuesday warned that the ongoing joint Iraqi operation against the Islamic State group south of the northern city of Mosul could displace 30,000 civilians in the coming weeks.

Iraq has seen a flare up in fighting on several fronts in recent days as the battle to root out IS has gained ground in the north and south-west of the country.

These forces are still at least 50 kilometres (30 miles) south of Iraq’s second city but the fighting there has been forcing thousands of civilians from their homes.

An existing camp in Debaga, which lies east of Makhmur – the main staging ground for that operation – already hosts around 8,000 people, the UN High Commissioner for Refugees said.

“As many as 30,000 newly displaced individuals may arrive in Makhmur over the coming weeks as the military offensive continues,” the UNHCR said in a statement while adding that it was opening up additional facilities to try and deal with the expected surge in demand.

American killed

On Tuesday, IS broke through Kurdish defences in northern Iraq, just north of Mosul, killing a US service member deployed as part of the US-led coalition against the militants. A coalition military official told AFP on the condition of anonymity that the service member was killed at 9:30 am (0630 GMT) by “direct fire” after “enemy forces penetrated” the Kurdish Peshmerga line.

The service member, whom the Pentagon confirmed was American, was at least the third killed by enemy fire in Iraq since IS overran swathes of the country in 2014.

President Barack Obama hailed the 2011 withdrawal of American troops from Iraq as a major accomplishment of his presidency, but US forces have been drawn back into combat in the country against IS. The United States announced last month that it was deploying additional forces to Iraq, bringing the official total to more than 4,000.

His death came as a sea of Shia pilgrims braved the threat of bombings by IS, which have killed dozens in recent days, to take part in a major annual religious commemoration in Baghdad.

Anti-IS forces also pushed ahead in the southwestern Anbar province, where pro-government troops backed by American and Australian special forces and US airstrikes, were able to end an 18-month Islamic State siege of the beleaguered town of Hadith.

The road into the town, under IS control since late 2014, has been opened by the drive, Iraqi security sources told media.

Local sources in Hadith told the Telegraph by phone on Tuesday that much work remained to be done and that the militants had littered the ground with mines and IDPs, repeating a tactic seen elsewhere in Iraq and Syria.

(Source / 03.05.2016)

Syrian Coalition: Russia Deceiving International Community to Keep Assad in Power

Member of the Syrian Coalition’s political committee Nora al-Ameer said that Russia is deceiving the international community by falsely claiming it supports a political solution in Syria. She added that the Russians pretend to engage positively with the United Nations efforts to reach a political solution in Syria while supporting the Assad regime in its ongoing brutal onslaught on Aleppo.

Al-Ameer stressed the need to stop the Assad regime’s attempts to encircle Aleppo where regime forces are attacking the Castello road, the last supply route into the rebel-held parts of the city.

The Assad regime, backed by Russia, is exploiting negotiations to pursue with a military solution on the pretext it is fighting terrorism, Al-Ameer said, adding that regime and Russian forces in fact target the Free Syrian Army and civil institutions with the primary aim of keeping Bashar al-Assad in power.

Al-Ameer stressed that the Syrian opposition is seeking to form a transitional governing body with full executive powers without Bashar al-Assad and his inner circle.

(Source: Syrian Coalition / 03.05.2016)

Palestinian official: Israel steals Palestinian oil

Israel also steals Palestinian natural gas off the Mediterranean coasts

Israeli oil extraction is “form of stealing Palestinian natural resources,” Palestinian Authority (PA) official said on Monday.

The PA official blamed Israel for stifling the Palestinian economy and stealing Palestinian resources and barring investment opportunities in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.

Days of Palestine, West Bank -Israeli oil extraction is “form of stealing Palestinian natural resources,” Palestinian Authority (PA) official said on Monday.

Israeli has recently discovered an oil well near the Dead Sea in area C of the occupied Palestinian territories and announced it is its own property.

“This is a violation of international resolutions as the newly discovered oil well is located in Area C which should have been moved to Palestinian control 18 years ago,” Chairman of the Palestinian Economic Council for Development and Reconstruction (PECDAR) Mohamed Shtayyeh said.

The PA leadership, he said, is going to call for compensation over any violations carried out by Israel in this regard.

He also noted that the Dead Sea is one of the main natural resources of the Palestinian people, but Israel had been depleting it since 1948.

Shtayyeh called for international intervention regarding the issue of Palestinian oil, noting that the expected income from this well is not large, but it would have a positive impact on the Palestinian economy.

He also noted that Israel is stealing Palestinian oil from Rantis well near Ramallah and prevents Palestinians from using their gas along the Mediterranean and prevents them from having tourism facilities in the Dead Sea.

The PA official blamed Israel for stifling the Palestinian economy and stealing Palestinian resources, barring investment opportunities in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip and delaying the reconstruction of Gaza, noting that this has caused “unprecedented” rates of unemployment.

(Source / 03.05.2016)

PLO to discuss future relations with Israel: Erekat

Ap0pales0A2500000000005jpeg(PNIC) – The Palestine Liberation Organization’s Executive Committee will decide on Wednesday “the nature of future relations with Israel,” PLO Secretary-General Saeb Erekat told on Tuesday.
Earlier on Tuesday, Erekat told the official Palestinian government radio station that the Palestinian Authority (PA) had decided to suspend bilateral meetings between Palestinian and Israeli security officials.
It was not clear from Erekat’s on-air comments whether he was referring to the widely criticized security coordination between Israel and the PA, or only to meetings between high-profile officials from both sides.
However, his comments to seemed to imply that the PLO Executive Committee could make a decision regarding the security coordination with Israel on Wednesday.
Erekat added during the radio interview that the decision was reached “after Palestinians received a clear message that Israel won’t adhere to already signed agreements, but rather continue to raid Palestinian territories.”
He also referred to the Israeli government’s rejection of the ongoing French initiative to host Israeli-Palestinian peace talks later this year.
The Fatah movement’s central committee convened on Monday and came up with “important” recommendations,” Erekat added, which he said would be submitted to the PLO Executive Committee on Wednesday and “would be made public if they are approved.”
Despite repeated threats to end security coordination by Palestinian officials over the years, the Fatah-dominated PA and Israeli forces have worked in coordination since the Oslo Accords in 1993, which planned for a gradual power transfer of the occupied West Bank from Israeli forces to the PA over the course of five years.
More 20 years on, however, any transfer of power has yet to take place. The Hamas movement and other Palestinian groups have repeatedly accused the PA of aligning with Israel’s goals in the occupied West Bank, and recently of preventing a sustained uprising against Israel.
PA security forces have on several occasions over the past six months prevented Palestinians from demonstrating near Israeli military infrastructure, with witnesses in April reporting PA forces in plainclothes detaining young Palestinian demonstrators in Bethlehem.

(Source / 03.05.2016)