Israeli forces execute mother of five in West Bank

The Israeli soldiers denied medical aid for her and left her bleeding to death

Israeli occupation forces executed on Friday morning Palestinian mother of five children near West Bank city of Bethlehem.

“The heavy barrage of fire at the woman’s car caused a collision,” one of the eyewitnesses told Days of Palestine. “Then, the woman started bleeding and she was left bleeding to death.”

Days of Palestine, West Bank -Israeli occupation forces executed on Friday morning Palestinian mother of five children near West Bank city of Bethlehem.

Eyewitnesses said that the Israeli occupation soldiers stationed at the illegal military checkpoint of Gush Etzion, near Bethlehem opened fire at a Palestinian lady while driving her car.

Israeli occupation claimed that she attempted to run over a group of Israeli soldiers near the checkpoint. It reported one light injury, but did not provide any picture or name for the wounded.

However, conformed accounts of several eyewitnesses proved that she was driving normally in the morning before the Israeli occupation soldiers targeted her by heavy barrage of fire.

“The heavy barrage of fire at the woman’s car caused a collision,” one of the eyewitnesses told Days of Palestine. “Then, the woman started bleeding and she was left bleeding to death.”

Another eyewitness said: “Supposedly, the Israeli claims were true, they should have offered her medical assistance after she became in a stage where she did not pose any form of danger towards them.”

Palestinian medical sources identified the woman as Amani Hosni Sabatin, 34, from the village of Husan, southwest of Bethlehem. She is a mother of five children.

The Israeli occupation forces arrested her husband and her father after killing her. They also returned her body to her family in the evening.

(Source / 04.03.2016)

Protesters slam Israel plan to destroy Bedouin villages

Bedouins hold banners during a protest against a plan to uproot their villages in the city of Beersheba in the Negev desert on March 3, 2016. ©AFP

Bedouins hold banners during a protest against a plan to uproot their villages in the city of Beersheba in the Negev desert on March 3, 2016

Hundreds of people have staged a demonstration in the occupied Palestinian territories to protest against Israeli plans to force thousands of Palestinian Bedouins from their homes, which will be demolished and replaced by a new Israeli settlement in the Negev region.

On Thursday, some 400 protesters, among them Palestinian lawmakers, chanted anti-Israeli slogans and called for a halt to the demolition of the Bedouin villages of Atir and Umm al-Hiran, and the establishment of the Hiran settlement on the ruins.

About 192,000 Bedouins, or indigenous Arabs, are currently living in the Negev desert. Most of their villages were constructed before the occupation of Palestinian territories in 1948.

Israeli authorities have been carrying out forced evacuations against Palestinian Bedouins since 1949.

The demolition of Bedouin homes is part of Israel’s massive land grab policy, which will forcefully displace thousands of people.

Tel Aviv has so far refused to recognize the rights of Palestinian Bedouins and denies them access to basic services.

Human rights groups say the latest move will lead to the ethnic cleansing of Palestinians living there.

In November 2015, the Israeli regime approved a plan to establish five towns in an area populated by Palestinian Bedouins in the Negev desert. Israeli Housing Minister Yoav Galant praised the Israeli cabinet’s approval of his plan.

(Source / 04.03.2016)

IOF kidnaps Palestinians, ravages homes in predawn West Bank sweep

JENIN, (PIC)– Several Palestinian youths were arrested by the Israeli occupation forces (IOF) at predawn time on Thursday in an abduction sweep launched across the occupied West Bank. Eyewitnesses said the IOF cordoned off Palestinian towns in southern Nablus city with sand barriers. The IOF kidnapped four Palestinian youngsters from southern Nablus after they wreaked havoc on their family homes. IOF troops were also deployed across southern Jenin province while warplanes have been hovering over the territory overnight. The IOF combed Jenin city in search for alleged anti-occupation activists. Overnight Wednesday, the IOF also arrested a Palestinian citizen as he tried to cross the Hamra military checkpoint, in the northern Jordan Valley. Sources in Jenin also said the IOF rolled into the city at the crack of dawn and kidnapped 18-year-old Yazid Muhammad Arkawi. The IOF further stormed Bethlehem and wreaked havoc on civilian homes. Reporting from Bethlehem, a PIC journalist said the IOF ravaged the home of the Palestinian MP Anwar Zaboun using sniffer dogs and subjected him to exhaustive questioning. The IOF broke into the homes of the sons of the Hamas leader Hassan al-Wardiyan and the sons of the slain Palestinian activist Muhammad Jabran before they provocatively interrogated a number of inhabitants. Several civilians’ and ex-prisoners’ homes were also ravaged in the campaign.

(Source / 04.03.2016)

Large-scale raid campaign reported south of Nablus

NABLUS, (PIC)– The Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) carried out at dawn Friday a large-scale raid campaign south of Nablus in the West Bank. Several homes were violently stormed and searched in Qaryout town south of the city. Two martyrs’ homes were among the stormed houses. Local sources told a PIC reporter that IOF soldiers investigated the homes’ owners before leaving the town. A similar raid campaign was carried out in Iraq Burin town south of Nablus in the northern West Bank. Eyewitnesses said that dozens of local houses were stormed and violently searched. No arrests were reported during the campaign. The sources affirmed that Israeli forces stole money and jewelry from the stormed houses. The raid campaign came as part of Israel’s collective punishment policy against Nablus city, following the stabbing attack that was carried out by local youths in Har Brakha nearby settlement.

(Source / 04.03.2016)

Spain seizes 20,000 military uniforms bound for ISIS

The uniforms were found in three shipping containers seized in the eastern ports of Valencia and Alicante last month when police uncovered an operation to smuggle arms to extremists under the guise of humanitarian aid.

Spanish police said Thursday they have seized about 20,000 military uniforms, “enough to equip an entire army”, which were destined for extremist groups operating in Syria and Iraq.

The uniforms were found in three shipping containers seized in the eastern ports of Valencia and Alicante last month when police uncovered an operation to smuggle arms to extremists under the guise of humanitarian aid, police said in a statement.

Seven people were arrested at the time as part of a probe launched in 2014 into “foreign structures” providing logistical support for both ISIS and the al-Nusra Front, an al-Qaeda affiliate in Syria.

Daesh 040316

“The containers which carried the military uniforms were declared as ‘second hand clothes’ so as to not raise suspicions and be able to pass different customs inspections without any difficulty,” the police statement said.

“With the roughly 20,000 military uniforms and accessories, it would have been possible to equip an entire army which would be ready to enter into combat in any of the battlegrounds which jihadist terrorist organizations have round the world,” it added.

One of the firms run by the suspects who were detained last month was dedicated to importing used clothes.

One of those arrested was a man who dispatched “military material, money, electronic and transmission material, firearms and precursors for making explosives” to Syria and Iraq via a company, police said at the time.

This was shipped out in closed containers under the guise of humanitarian aid, and financed by “hawala,” an informal system of payment based on trust that is far more difficult to trace than bank transfers.

The leader of the network was in “constant” contact with a member of ISIS, who repeatedly asked him to recruit women in order to marry them off to ISIS fighters in Syria, police said last month.

(Source / 04.03.2016)

Italian Surgeon Returns to Gaza to Train Local Doctors

On February 27, Prof. Andrea Carobbi, a General and Laparoscopic surgeon from Luca, Italy arrived to the European Gaza Hospital to provide training for local surgeons and to oversee two operations.

Dr. Carobbi has led several past volunteer missions for the PCRF in Gaza, the West Bank and Lebanon to provide training in specialized surgery and support for patients. Also in the EGH hospital is a large pediatric cardiac surgery team from Tuscany, Italy saving the lives of sick children with heart disease.

(Source / 04.03.2016)

Nobel winner: Peace in Libya will solve 80% of Tunisia’s problems

Nobel Peace Prize laureates of the Tunisian National Dialogue Quartet (L to R): Tunisian Human Rights League President Abdessatar Ben Moussa, Tunisian employers union President Ouided Bouchamaoui, National Order of Tunisian Lawyers President Fadhel Mahfoudh and Tunisian General Labor Union Secretary-General Houcine Abbassi are honored on the stage during the annual Nobel Peace Prize Concert in Telenor Arena outside Oslo, Dec, 11, 2015

The United States must ramp up its support for Tunisia and press for a political settlement in neighboring Libya if the fledgling democracy is to succeed, employers federation president and Nobel Peace Prize winner Ouided Bouchamaoui told Al-Monitor.

Bouchamaoui has been sharing that message with US and international officials this week during a whirlwind visit to Washington at the invitation of the World Bank and the International Republican Institute. She said solving the crisis in Libya would solve 80% of Tunisia’s problems by improving security and allowing its economy to take off.

“It’s chaos in Libya. People are crossing borders without any control,” she said. “And Tunisia is suffering because of this.”

The recent terrorist attacks that have decimated the Tunisian tourism sector, she pointed out, have forced the country to further ramp up a defense and security budget that has been growing by leaps and bounds since the start of the Arab Spring. Those investments are crucial, she said, but come at the detriment of domestic social spending at a time when young Tunisians enthralled by the promise of democracy are clamoring for jobs and a shot at a better life.

“One of the main drivers of the [Jasmin] revolution was the imbalance in regional prosperity,” she said, in French. “So people are expecting more investment in the regions. That’s happening, of course, but a big chunk of it is being diverted to the protection of our borders — to deal with a situation we aren’t even responsible for.”

Bouchamaoui, the scion of a powerful family and a successful businesswoman in her own right, took over Tunisia’s Confederation of Industry, Trade and Handicrafts in 2011. Two years later the organization joined with labor unionists, human rights defenders and the lawyers guild to create the Tunisian National Dialogue Quartet, which won the Nobel Peace Prize last year for its efforts to pave the way for a democratic transition while the rest of the Arab Spring countries erupted in flames or reverted back to authoritarianism.

“Recognition is nice,” she said. “But we need concrete support to make this transition a success.”

Bouchamaoui met with Al-Monitor over lunch at a Capitol Hill cafeteria after meeting with Rep. Erik Paulsen, R-Minn., who has introduced a resolution urging the Obama administration to start negotiations over a free trade agreement with Tunisia. Bouchamaoui said such an agreement would boost Tunisian exports and improve its global standing, without causing the kinds of impacts to the US economy that are complicating passage of far more ambitious trade deals with the European Union and Pacific nations.

“We want to be a true partner of the United States,” she said, “not a subcontractor.”

She was also scheduled to meet with World Bank and State Department officials, as well as the Overseas Private Investment Corporation, the US government’s development finance institution, and the US Institute of Peace.

The plain-spoken businesswoman likewise urged the United States to offer more, longer-term higher education scholarships for young Tunisians. She pressed for more US investment in her country. And she added her voice to those asking for President Barack Obama — a fellow Nobel Prize winner, she pointed out — to make history by becoming the first sitting US president to visit Tunisia since Dwight Eisenhower during his final year in office.

“We deserve a presidential visit, frankly,” she said. “We’ve gotten visits from heads of state from the world over since the revolution.”

(Source / 04.03.2016)

Palestinian woman shot dead after alleged car attack at Gush Etzion

BETHLEHEM (Ma’an) — Israeli forces shot dead a 34-year-old Palestinian woman on Friday morning after she allegedly rammed her car into an Israeli soldier stationed at the Gush Etzion junction in the southern occupied West Bank.An Israeli army spokesperson said that after the woman hit the soldier with her car, Israeli forces “responded to the imminent threat” by shooting and killing her.The spokesperson said the soldier was evacuated to hospital, although she was unable to confirm his condition.She alleged that a knife was found in the woman’s car.The Palestinian Ministry of Health later identified the woman as 34-year-old Amani Husni Sabatin from the nearby village of Husan in western Bethlehem.The head of Husan’s village council, Hasan Hamamreh, told Ma’an that Israeli forces had sealed the eastern and western entrances of the village following Sabatin’s death.He rejected the army’s allegations that she had attempted to carry out an attack, saying her death was an “obvious execution” that continues Israel’s crimes and violations against Palestinians.Hamamreh said Sabatin was married and the mother of four children, the eldest of whom is a 14-year-old daughter. Her husband works in Israel.He added that the Israeli authorities had summoned Sabatin’s husband, father, and brother to the Etzion detention center to identify her body.It was not clear when her body would be released for her funeral.The Gush Etzion junction — the entrance point to the illegal Gush Etzion settlement bloc — has seen numerous deadly encounters since a surge of violence shook the occupied Palestinian territory at the beginning of October last year.Around 180 Palestinians and nearly 30 Israelis have now been killed across the occupied territory and Israel since then.While Israel alleges many of those were attempting to attack Israelis when they were shot, Palestinians and rights groups have disputed Israel’s version of events in a number of cases.Rights groups have also repeatedly condemned Israeli forces for the unnecessary use of lethal force against Palestinians who did not pose an imminent threat at the time of their death.

(Source / 04.03.2016)

Syrian Coalition: Assad Violates Truce to Disrupt Geneva Negotiations

The Syrian Coalition said that the Assad regime’s violations of the truce agreement are designed to hamper efforts to resume the Geneva negotiations.

Member of the Syrian Coalition Khaled Nasser said that the Assad regime is not to be trusted as it continues military operations despite the fact that it agreed to the ceasefire agreement.

“By continuing to breach the truce, the Assad regime is clearly dodging negotiations aimed at finding a political solution based on the 2012 Geneva Communique and the relevant international resolutions,” Nasser added.

Nasser pointed out that the Assad regime will seriously engage in negotiations only under real pressure from its supporters, especially Russia, which has taken on the decision-making on behalf of the Assad regime.

Meanwhile, peaceful anti-regime demonstrators returned to the streets in Syria taking advantage of the relative calm following the ceasefire agreement. Demonstrators demanded the fall of the Assad regime and chanted for freedom and dignity in many cities and towns across Syria.

(Source: Syrian Coalition / 04.03.2016)

Palestinian teacher attacked amid tensions over teachers’ strike

HEBRON (Ma’an) — A Palestinian teacher in Hebron was attacked with pepper spray on Wednesday morning, in what she said may have been linked to her participation in a national teachers’ protest calling for the guarantee of teachers’ rights.Nadia Abu Eisha told Ma’an she was heading to her school on Wednesday morning when a car stopped nearby and a bearded man exited.”He threatened and insulted me, and then attacked me with pepper spray,” she said. “I found water in the area, so I washed my face, and went to the hospital immediately.”Palestinian police said they had received her complaint, and would be opening an investigation to identify the assailant.Abu Eisha said she had received “many threats” on Facebook and on her phone over her support for a Palestinian teachers’ protest against the Palestinian Authority.She said she would continue to support the teachers until they secure their full rights, and the threats only gave her the “motivation to go on and support the teachers’ demands.”On Tuesday, tens of thousands of Palestinian teachers took part in demonstrations across the occupied West Bank, as a strike across public schools carried on into its third week. The teachers are seeking higher salaries, as pledged to them by the PA in a 2013 agreement that was never fulfilled.The PA on Wednesday threatened to take legal action against the teachers if they did not return to work immediately.Last month, an estimated 20,000 Palestinian teachers demonstrated in Ramallah to call for the implementation of the 2013 agreement.

(Source / 04.03.2016)