Israeli bulldozers demolish 3 Pal homes in Jerusalem

Half of the displaced residents are children and are living now in the open air

Israeli occupation forces demolished on Thursday morning three Palestinian homes in occupied Jerusalem, displacing 17 Palestinian civilians.

A displaced resident said that he and the residents were held at gunpoint for hours while the demolition took place, causing fear and panic among the children (Archive Image)

Days of Palestine, Jerusalem –Israeli occupation forces demolished on Thursday morning three Palestinian homes in occupied Jerusalem, displacing 17 Palestinian civilians.

Witnesses told Days of Palestine that the Israeli bulldozers escorted by Israeli forces raided and surrounded Jabal Al-Baba Neighborhood in Al-Eizariya village.

“The Israeli occupation forces forced the residents of the Palestinians houses and demolished them immediately,” conformed witnesses said.

Atallah Mazaraa, activist from Jabal Al-Baba, said that the Israeli occupation forces demolished the houses without a prior notice. “The Israeli court had frozen all demolition orders in the area around a year ago,” he said.

Mazaraa said that he and the residents were held at gunpoint for hours while the demolition took place, causing fear and panic among the children.

He also said the three demolished homes belonged to Hamda abu-Kutaiba, her son, Ali abu-Kutaiba, and Ghassan Jahalin. The families’ furniture and possessions were inside when the housing structures were destroyed.

Ali abu-Kutaiba and Jahalin had been living with their families in mobile homes donated by the European Union. Mazaraa said the EU-donated structures could have easily been taken apart instead of demolished.

(Source / 22.01.2016)

Ya’alon: The conflict with the Palestinians will never be resolved

Moshe Ya'alon, Defense Minister of Israel

Moshe Ya’alon, Defense Minister of Israel

“The conflict with the Palestinian Arabs will never be solved,” Israeli Defence Minister Moshe Ya’alon has warned.

Speaking at the World WIZO conference in Tel Aviv, Ya’alon said: “Due to our success in preventing mass casualty terrorist attacks, our enemies are employing attacks by individuals. So as long as the Palestinian Arabs continue to incite their children against Israel, the conflict with the Palestinian Arabs will never be solved.”

“Hezbollah is indeed operating in Judea and Samaria, as do other terrorist groups such as the Islamic Jihad; they are all metastases of Iran. Hezbollah, via Iran, is trying to lure Palestinians and Israeli Arabs to carry out terror attacks within Israel.”

“The Marmara is an expression of the spirit among some members of the international community who are acting against Israel. The propaganda war is very difficult because it is driven by widespread anti-Semitism and delegitimisation of Israel, and so it is hard to fight it,” he added.

(Source / 22.01.2016)

Why did Israel Target the Historical Religious Places in Gaza during the Last War?

Why did Israel Target the Historical Religious Places in Gaza during the Last War?

During the last war launched against the Gaza Strip, the Israeli military arrogance reached its climax not only via targeting the civilians and properties but also the Palestinian identity and history through bombing the historical religious places all along the Gaza Strip.

Why did Israel target such places and what kind of message it tried to convey through such an assault?

Answering the said question, Saleem al-Mubayed, Palestinian historian and researcher said, “During the last 51-day Israeli war, Israel did target a number of historical mosques all over the Gaza Strip including al-Mahkama “court” Mosque, locates in al-Shujaeya neighborhood eastern the Gaza Strip. The mosque was completely destroyed. Such a historical mosque dates back to the 15th century. Another historical mosque was partially destroyed in the same area; al- Tgazz Dmoury Mosque, as well as al-Nassr Mosque that locates in Beit Hanoun town, northern the Gaza Strip. Such a mosque was targeted over and over mostly the foundational stones that date back to the Crusader era.

Concerning the reason behind such a target, al-Mubayed added,” The Israeli enemy targets such places under the pretext of having weapons or Palestinian fighters inside. Such a pretext was so weak as it was approved that the mosques were out of weapons. The truth is that through targeting such places, Israel meant to kill as many civilians as possible in order to weaken the morale of the civilians and fighters”.

“Israel, as part of its history since 1948, used to target mosques as when it bombed al-Led and al-Ramla mosques as well as other mosques where a number of massacres took place killing hundreds of civilians inside”, according to al-Mubayed.

As far as targeting the historical places is concerned, al-Mubayed affirmed that “Israel also meant to erase the Palestinian identity represented in the historical places as part of the Palestinian history and existence that date back to more than 5000 years”.

Statistically, head of media department in the Endowments and Religious Affairs Ramzy al-Nawajha stated, “There are around 1000 mosques all over the Gaza Strip, 34 of which were completely destroyed as being targeted by the Israeli warplanes. 167 others were partially destroyed”.

He added, “Three historical mosques were destroyed during the latest war; al-Mahkama “court” Mosque, al- Tgazz Dmoury Mosque and al-Muntar mosque. Al-Mahkama and al-Tgazz Dmoury mosques were partially destroyed, while al-Muntar mosque was completely devastated”.

According to al-Nawajha, the reason behind such a target lies in, “A Zionist hatred against the mosques as being places for bringing up a Muslem generation that believes in fighting Israel and having Palestine Back as should be”.

Hyam al-Bitar Head of the Department of Antiquities of the Head of the Department of Antiquities of the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities affirms that Israel viciously violates the second protocol of Hague Convention, signed in March 1999, related to protecting the cultural properties during any armed conflict.

According to the Ministry of Tourism and Antiquities, the damages inflicted upon the tourism sector during the last war mounted to US $ 650.000.

The Ministry Assistant Undersecretary Dr. Mohammed Khela made it clear that a number of historical places were partially destroyed due to the Israeli bombing; Jabalya Byzantine Church locates in Jabalya town, Aslan Church locates in Beit Lahya, the British Tomb locates in Gaza city, the Monastery of St. Hilarion locates in al-Nusseirat refugee camp, Tal Rafah archaeological site, Al-Omari mosque, al-Basha Palace locates in Gaza city, the British Tomb in al-Zawayda area, Deir al-Balah Museum and Joseph’s Tomb locates in Bany Suhaila area locates southern the Gaza Strip.

Khela added, “More than 40 historical homes were damaged as a result of the Israeli bombing. Ultimately, number of the historical sites damaged mounted to 74 buildings, 4 of which were completely damaged and 59 others were partially damaged”.

Worthily saying, Israel launched a military assault against the Gaza Strip in 2014 killing 2147 citizens 81% of whom are civilians and 87010 are wounded.

(Source / 22.01.2016)

Israeli forces kidnap 3 Palestinians, wound 5 others

Witnesses said that the Israeli undercover forces incited the Palestinian protesters to throw stones at the Israeli forces, then kidnapped them

Israeli occupation forces kidnapped on Friday three Palestinians, wounded five others in West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Palestinian paramedics evacuated three Palestinian citizens wounded by Israeli forces in eastern Gaza city. They said that they offered first aid to tens affected by heavy Israeli tear gas

Days of Palestine, West Bank/Gaza Strip –Israeli occupation forces kidnapped on Friday three Palestinians, wounded five others in West Bank and Gaza Strip.

Security sources said that Israeli undercover forces kidnapped three Palestinian protesters in the West Bank city of Bethlehem.

One of the three Palestinians, the sources told Days of Palestine, that one of the three Palestinians, who were kidnapped, was wounded.

Meanwhile, Palestinian medical sources reported that five Palestinian citizens were admitted to Palestinian hospitals in the occupied West Bank and the Gaza Strip after they were wounded by the Israeli forces.

Palestinian activists in West Bank Ahmed Walid said that the Israeli occupation cracked down on Palestinian protesters.

“The Israeli occupation forces used live bullets against the protesters and wounded three of them in different parts of their bodies,” Walid said.

In Gaza, eyewitnesses said that the Israeli occupation forces shot live bullets at the Palestinian protesters near Nahal Oz Israeli checkpoint in the east of Al-Shejaia Neighbourhood in the city of Gaza.

According to the witnesses, tens of the protesters suffered suffocation problems due to the heavy use of tear gas by the Israeli occupation forces.

(Source / 22.01.2016)

Palestinians launch petition against Israeli ban on Islamic Movement

OCCUPIED JERUSALEM, (PIC)– The Campaign against the Ban on the Islamic Movement has launched a campaign to gather petition signatures in three languages, Arabic, English, and Turkish, to demand the Israeli government to revoke its measures against the Islamic Movement and other Arab institutions.

Secretary of the campaign Tawfiq Mohamed said that the petition considers the ban on the Islamic Movement and 20 other civil institutions “illegal, seeking to prohibit the Palestinians in the 1948 occupied lands from engaging in the civil and political life.”

Mohamed added that the petition demands the Israeli government to revoke its decisions against the Islamic Movement and all Arab institutions.

He stated the signing campaign is aimed at exposing and raising the issue of the Israeli racist measures against the Palestinians and their institutions in the 1948 occupied lands at all levels.

Since its start a few days ago, thousands of people at home and abroad have signed the petition.

(Source / 22.01.2016)

Media Silent As US-Backed Saudi Forces Starve Half Million Yemeni Children

The United Nations warned that 8,000 children could suffer from severe malnutrition in 2016. And that’s just in one southern Yemeni city.

A woman brings her child to hospital in Yemen to be treated for severe acute malnutrition.

A woman brings her child to hospital in Yemen to be treated for severe acute malnutrition

ADEN, Yemen — While the media was flooded with images of the starving children of Syria, the thousands of children suffering from Saudi Arabia’s U.S.-backed onslaught on Yemen made far fewer headlines.

The mainstream media was eager to report on the struggle for survival in Madaya. The mountain town near Syria’s southwestern border was once known as a popular resort destination in the Middle East, but its population is now reportedly being starved under a siege by the Syrian army.

However, the actual situation is far more complex. The U.S.-supported, so-called “moderate” rebels including the Nusra Front, the Syrian branch of al-Qaida, had first laid siege to the cities of Kefraya and Fua, leading to a retaliatory siege on Madaya by the Assad government. Those same rebel groups were also, in turn, responsible for allowing the starvation in Madaya to continue by occupying the city and keeping humanitarian aid out of reach of the populace as a strategic tactic. Additionally, many images used in media reports on Madaya turned out to be fake or misleading.

Meanwhile, far fewer journalists are covering the large-scale starvation and displacement taking place in Yemen, a situation caused by a bombing campaign and blockade led by Saudi Arabia and its allies and backed by U.S. military aid. The Nusra Front, one of the groups responsible for skyrocketing food prices in Madaya, also has the backing of the Saudi government, like many of the rebel forces in the region.

Saudi Arabia is currently engaged in a proxy war with Iran, who Riyadh blames, inaccurately, for the rise to power of the Houthis in Yemen and setbacks to the kingdom’s agenda in Syria, leading to a bombing campaign and embargo on crucial resources that began in April.

UNICEF reported in October that 537,000 Yemeni children were at risk of severe malnutrition nationwide, while Alexi O’Brien, reporting for Al-Jazeera in September, noted that the United Nations warned that 96,000 children were “starving and close to death” in the port city of al-Hodeidah, and an additional 8,000 children faced starvation in Aden in 2016.

The situation was so dire nationwide that, in June, the U.N. reported “that at least six million people in Yemen are in urgent need of emergency food and life-saving assistance, a new United Nations (UN) investigation has found … 10 out of Yemen’s 22 governorates are facing an ‘emergency level’ food security situation amid the ongoing conflict, including major areas like Aden, Taiz, Saa’da and Al Baida.” In July, Oxfam reported that the number of starving people in Yemen had topped 6 million — nearly half the country’s population of 13 million. Aid workers are struggling to reach the needy, with the World Food Programme reporting that it had served 3.5 million Yemenis by August.

While the suffering of the residents of Madaya is heart-wrenching, some critics have questioned the motives behind the media’s focus on this single town rather than suffering in Yemen or even elsewhere in Syria.Vladimir Safronkov, Russia’s deputy ambassador to the U.N. Security Council, lamented recently that the timing of the reports seemed calculated to undermine the budding peace process in Syria, according to a report from RT. “It looks like that, under the pretext of the deterioration of the situation in besieged cities, attempts are being made to undermine the launch of the inter-Syrian dialogue scheduled for January 25,” he told an emergency meeting of the Security Council on Saturday.

Safronkov said the West practices a “double standard” by raising the alarm about Madaya while ignoring cities besieged by anti-Assad forces:

“Much is being said about Madaya, but not a word about the villages of Nubul and Az-Zahra in the province of Aleppo. And we are talking about the fate of tens of thousands of people.”

On Monday, Ben Norton, politics staff writer for Salon, cited the siege of Yemen, as well as Israel’s decade-long blockade of Gaza, when he questioned why some atrocities are condemned and others are “barely even acknowledged.” He wrote:

“All sieges are of course tragic, because they harm civilians. There should be outrage at the siege on Madaya, but there should be proportionate outrage. All of the other ongoing sieges — and the much larger blockades — that happened to be supported by the West should not conveniently be ignored.

Americans, in particular, should be concerned about the millions upon millions of people being starved in policies backed by their ostensibly democratic government, right at this very moment.”

Watch “It’s not #Madaya. It’s #Yemen … Thank you Saudi regime” from Stop The War On Yemen

(Source / 22.01.2016)

Hamas: Abbas’s media law will entrench the national rift

GAZA, (PIC)– The Hamas Movement has voiced its rejection of the higher media council’s law, which was approved by Palestinian president Mahmoud Abbas.

Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zuhri warned on Thursday that Abbas’s new media law would deepen the national division, describing it as a violation of the powers of the Palestinian Legislative Council.

Abu Zuhri expressed his belief that the law was made within the circles of the Fatah Movement, with no participation of journalists from all spectra.

He also said that the law would make the Palestinian journalists’ syndicate without any role and turn it into a government tool, pointing out that the law also ignored the Palestinian struggle against the occupation.

The law was formulated during recent meetings attended by journalists from Fatah and left-wing groups before it was sanctioned by president Abbas.

(Source / 22.01.2016)

Israel begins to build ‘security fence’ on borders with Jordan

AMMAN, (PIC)– Israel has begun building a fence along its border with Jordan “to protect Israeli citizens against any security threat coming from Jordan”, the Israeli Army Ministry announced.

A team from the ministry’s Engineering and Construction Department began laying down the first kilometers of the security fence along the border this week, according to the ministry’s statement.

The fence would be “based on the models erected along the Egyptian border and the Golan Heights”, the statement said.

The barrier will stretch for 30 kilometers between the resort city of Eilat and the site of the Sands of Samar, and will cost $75 million, the ministry underlined.

“This barrier is intended to protect Israeli citizens against any security threat coming from Jordan,” Arielle Heffez, a spokesman for the ministry, told AFP on Wednesday.

Commenting on the issue, a Jordanian official said that the Israeli security fence is ‘an internal affair especially that it is built within Israeli borders.’

However, the Jordanian official expressed his country’s total rejection of the Israeli apartheid wall that is built on occupied Palestinian land.

The fence is to be the fourth “security fence” built by Israel, including one separating it from the occupied West Bank, known as the “apartheid wall”, another in the Golan Heights near Syria, and a third one erected along the Egyptian border.

(Source / 22.01.2016)

Hamas, factions slam Faraj’s statements

The Islamic Resistance Movement Hamas, al-Jihad Movement, and the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine have on Thursday evening issued a joint statement condemning the remarks made by Palestinian Authority “PA” intelligence chief Majed Faraj.

In a recent interview conducted by the US magazine Defense News, Faraj stated that the PA security forces had aborted 200 resistance operations against the Israeli occupation during the current intifada.

In the joint statement, the factions said that Faraj’s remarks constitute an insult to the struggle and sacrifices of Palestinians, serving only to deepen the Palestinian rift and prolong internal division.

The statement added that Faraj’s remarks reflect the state of monopoly exerted by the PA over the Palestinian national decision, noting that they disregard the national consensus that rejects all relations between PA and the Israeli occupation.

The factions rejected the use of the security portfolio to gain Israeli endorsement, noting that Faraj’s remarks come in the context of an ongoing competition over who is going to lead the PA in the future.

(Source / 22.01.2016)

IOF levels Palestinian lands in Tulkarem to expand illegal settlement

TULKAREM, (PIC)– The Israeli occupation forces (IOF) on Thursday bulldozed  large tracts of Palestinian cultivated lands in the vicinity of the illegal Israeli settlement of Avni Hefetz, in southern Tulkarem province.

A PIC news reporter quoted local sources as stating that the Israeli occupation bulldozers leveled dozens of dunums of cultivated land lots owned by Palestinian citizens, paving the way for the projected expansion of the nearby illegal settlement.

The occupation troops have been denying Palestinians’ access into the area as part of intents to impose a new fait accompli and hold sway over the land tracts in favor of illegal settlement expansion.

The illegal Avni Hefetz settlement, originally made up of 12 makeshift caravans, is now home to over 110 Israeli settlement units built at the expense of Palestinians’ own and only lands.

(Source / 22.01.2016)