Article asked on this date

You have found the article

Dagelijks archief 29 augustus 2015

A new Israeli war will not be a picnic, says Islamic Jihad official

A Palestinian stages a protest as he bind himself with chains demanding the release of hunger striker Palestinian lawyer Muhammad Allan who is under arrest at an Israeli prison, on August 13, 2015 in Gaza City, Gaza

The Secretary General of the Palestinian Islamic Jihad Movement said on Friday that a new Israeli war will not be a picnic, Qudsnet has reported. Ramadhan Shallah added that there is nothing “holy” about the ceasefire with the Israeli occupation.

“It is true that we accepted the ceasefire as a temporary measure,” Shallah told Al-Mayadeen TV, “but it is not holy and it will be broken if the Israeli enemy plays with the life of the Palestinians.” He pointed out that the movement’s military wing, Al-Quds Brigades, was ready to target Israeli cities recently when the life of Palestinian hunger striker Mohamed Allan was in danger.

“This is the second time that the Israeli occupation has been beaten inside its own prisons,” he added. “The first time it was beaten by hunger striker Khader Adnan and now by Mohamed Allan. This is the fruit of the legendary steadfastness; it’s a massive victory.”

Earlier this month, Islamic Jihad warned that it would end the ceasefire if Mohamed Allan died. The Israeli Supreme Court decided to release the Palestinian activist after refusing to allow him to be force-fed, and he lapsed into a coma. Allan suspended his hunger strike after his formal release and will leave hospital when he recovers.

(Source / 29.08.2015)

Al-Qassam Announces Death Of A Fighter In Tunnel Accident

The Al-Qassam Brigades, the military wing of the Islamic Resistance Movement (Hamas) has reported that one of its fighters was killed, Saturday, in a tunnel accident, in Khan Younis, in the southern part of the Gaza Strip.

Al Qassam

On its webpage, the al-Qassam said Anwar Faraj Abu al-Ghalban, 23 years of age, died while working in a tunnel, and that the slain fighter is from Khan Younis city.

The Brigades said it will continue its operations and activities, including digging siege-busting tunnels, and military training, until ending the Israeli occupation, and the liberation of Palestine.

Dozens of fighters, and tunnel workers, have been killed in similar accidents, while many were killed after the Israeli army bombarded tunnel areas as they were working in them.

Many Palestinians in Gaza, not affiliated with the armed resistance, work in tunnels to provide food to their families due to the deadly Israeli siege on the coastal region.

(Source / 29.08.2015)

Israeli Navy opens fire at Palestinian fishermen

GAZA, (PIC)–  Israeli naval boats opened machine gunfire on Palestinian fishing boats while sailing within the Israeli-imposed six-nautical-miles fishing zone offshore Gaza City on Saturday morning.

Palestinian sources said that no injuries were reported during the armed attack. However, the fishermen were forced to leave the sea.

Israeli naval boats routinely open fire at Palestinian fishermen sailing within the six-nautical-miles zone in flagrant violation of the calm agreement.

Israel and the Palestinian resistance reached a calm agreement on August 26, 2014 ending Israel’s summer aggression on Gaza that claimed the lives of over 2,200 people, mostly children and women.

(Source / 29.08.2015)

UNHCR warns over looming Rohingya refugee crisis

Rohingya Muslims take to the seas to escape sectarian violence in Myanmar. (AFP)

Rohingya Muslims take to the seas to escape sectarian violence in Myanma

The UN has issued a warning over an expected surge of mostly Rohingya and Bangladeshi refugees heading out for southeast Asia by the end of the month.

“UNHCR is calling for urgent action before the end of the monsoon season unleashes a new wave of people leaving on boats from the Bay of Bengal,” spokeswoman Melissa Fleming of the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) was reported as saying on Saturday.

Earlier this year, a humanitarian crisis broke out when boatloads of Rohingyas trying to escape persecution in Myanmar were turned back or sent on their way from the shores of Thailand, Indonesia, and Malaysia.

“We expect this to resume again in about a month,” she said. “There are appalling conditions on these boats and a bit of ping pong, and real concerns about access to territory.”

During a press conference held in Geneva on Friday, the UNHCR called on regional governments to avoid a similar humanitarian crisis by implementing steps aimed at boosting search and rescue operations and creating safer places for disembarkation.

According to the agency, around 31,000 Rohingyas and Bangladeshis left from the Bay of Bangal by boat since the beginning of the year, a 34 percent rise from the same period in 2014. A total of 94,000 people are thought to have risked their lives partaking in such journeys since 2014. At least 1,100 more are thought to have drowned in the same time period.

Myanmar’s Rohingya Muslims, currently living in the western Burmese state of Rakhine, have been subject to systematic repression by extremist Buddhists since the country’s independence in 1948. This is while the government of Myanmar has fallen short of protecting the rights of the marginalized group. Rohingya Muslims have been recognized by the United Nations as one of the world’s most persecuted communities.

(Source / 29.08.2015)

Amal Clooney Lashes Out At Egypt After Al-Jazeera Journalists Imprisoned

Marwa Fahmy, Mohamed Fadel Fahmy's wife, upon hearing the verdict which sentenced her husband to three years in prison. Photo: Amr Nabil/AP

Marwa Fahmy, Mohamed Fadel Fahmy’s wife, upon hearing the verdict which sentenced her husband to three years in prison

Prominent international lawyer Amal Clooney has criticized Egypt following the sentencing of three Al-Jazeera journalists to prison on Saturday.

Clooney, who attended the trial in Cairo as one of Mohamed Fadel Fahmy’s lawyers, said that the verdict “sends a very dangerous message in Egypt.”

“Every single third party that has looked at the case from the beginning – from the UN, to the EU, the US, the UK – everyone has said there is no evidence to sustain any of the charges,” said Clooney.

“Egypt’s own Supreme court when they looked at this case said there wasn’t sufficient evidence,” added Clooney as she was surrounded by throngs of journalists outside the court in Cairo.

“The verdict today sends a very dangerous message. It sends a message that journalists can be locked up for simply doing their job, for telling the truth and reporting the news. It sends a dangerous message that there are judges in Egypt who will allow their courts to become instruments of political oppression and propaganda,” continued Clooney.

“But there is a solution, your President, President Sisi, has said from the beginning of this case that he wishes the prosecution had never been brought and that he would intervene at the end of the judicial process to grant a pardon if the journalists were re-convicted. That’s exactly what has happened.”

Earlier on Saturday, Al-Jazeera journalists Mohamed Fadel Fahmy, Baher Mohamed and Peter Greste had been sentenced to three years in prison. Baher Mohamed received an additional six month sentence.

Egypte Al Jazeera Egypte Al Jazeera2

 

The Judge said the defendants had spread false news and were not registered as journalists in Egypt. The judge added that the defendants “are not journalists and are not registered with Egypt’s press syndicate or the State Information Service,” before stating that the defendants possessed unlicensed devices that were used to broadcast false news which harmed the country.

Australian journalist Peter Greste had been released in February and deported under an order by Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Al-Sisi.

Condemnations

“Shocked. Outraged. Angry. Upset. None of them convey how I feel right now,” tweeted Peter Greste from Australia, adding that the three year sentences were “so wrong.”

Al-Jazeera’s Acting Director General Moustefa Souag also condemned the sentence as one which defies logic.

“Today’s verdict is yet another deliberate attack on press freedom. It is a dark day for the Egyptian judiciary,” said Souag in a statement.

Meanwhile, the Committee to Protect Journalists said that the journalists were sentenced to prison despite a lack of evidence and called on Egypt’s government to end the prosecution.

Amnesty International joined the CPJ in its condemnation, adding that the verdict must be overturned immediately.

The court session was attended by diplomatic officials from the UK, the Netherlands, Canada and Australia. The Canadian, British and Dutch Ambassadors attended the session in person.

In his personal capacity, Dutch Ambassador Gerard Steeghs said that the result was “no good news.”

Judicial sources have confirmed that Fahmy, Greste and Mohamed can appeal Saturday’s sentencing.

Watch Amal Clooney outside the Court in Cairo

(Source / 29.08.2015)

 

Pro-Brotherhood channel to re-broadcast under Ayman Nour

Pro-Brotherhood channel to re-broadcast under Ayman Nour

Pro-Muslim Brotherhood Channel (Al-Sharq) Logo

CAIRO: A month after its closure, Turkey-based pro-Muslim Brotherhood channel (al-Sharq) will resume broadcasts under the leadership of Ayman Nour, head of Ghad Elthawra Party, the channel announced in a Friday statement.

“After the channel went through a financial crisis in the last phase, and was exposed to attempts of blocking and frequent jamming, al-Sharq comes back with new image and administrative shift,” the statement said.

Anonymous sources told Youm7 Friday that Nour bought the channel for $250,000 from its owner Bassem Khafagy, who lives in Turkey. The official added that the broadcast will operate Tuesday.

On July 31, Muslim Brotherhood supporter Haitham Abu Khalil, who lives in Turkey, announced that the channel had halted broadcasts due to a financial crisis.

Al-Sharq was one of a number of pro-Brotherhood media outlets established since 2013 in Turkey; the channels have been accused by Cairo of inciting violence against military and security personnel.

Istanbul-based pro-Muslim Brotherhood (MB) channel, Misr Alaan, stopped broadcasting after the Turkish government put pressure on the owners, MB sources on Aug.15.

Following the dispersal of pro-Muslim Brotherhood sit-ins at Rabaa and Nahda Squares Aug. 13, 2013, hundreds of MB members and supporters have been detained over charges of inciting violence, committing murders, sabotaging public utilities, and belonging to a banned group that was designated by the former interim government a “terrorist group” in December 2013.

Fleeing the Egyptian government’s crackdown, Brotherhood members and supporters travelled to Turkey, Qatar, London, and other European countries.

(Source / 29.08.2015)

Jihad: Al-Qassam did not mind firing rockets in support of Allan

BEIRUT, (PIC)– Secretary-General of the Islamic Jihad Movement Ramadan Shallah revealed Friday that al-Qassam Brigades, Hamas’s armed wing, did not mind rocket fire on Israeli targets in support of the hunger striker Mohamed Allan.

During a televised interview, Shallah said that his movement’s armed wing, al-Quds Brigades, was ready to fire rockets at Israeli targets when the hunger striker Mohamed Allan was in very critical condition.

Al-Qassam Brigades did not mind the rocket fire at that time, but they demanded to be informed in advance of the zero hour in anticipation of any possible Israeli retaliation, he explained.

“There is no individual decision. Hamas is a resistance group, and Gaza is a resistance project.”

In another context, Shallah said that the truce agreement is a temporary measure that could be broken in case of an Israeli rashness.

Shallah hailed Allan’s strong determination and legendary steadfastness, considering his victory on Israeli jailers as a victory for all the Palestinian people.

“We took a firm decision to target Israel in case of losing Khader Adnan and Mohamed Allan during their hunger strikes,” he pointed out.

On the other hand, the Secretary-General of the Islamic Jihad denied any relation to the rocket fire in Syrian Golan Heights, saying that his group has no armed presence outside Palestine.

(Source / 29.08.2015)

Israeli, Jordanian Officers Killed among Al-Nusra Commanders in Syrian Airstrike

Syrian helicopterThe Syrian air force killed a large number of Takfiri militant commanders, including senior Israeli and Jordanian officers, in airstrikes on terrorists’ positions in the Southern province of Daraa, FARS news agency reported Saturday.

At least 42 Al-Nusra Front Takfiri terrorist commanders, including 3 Israeli and Jordanian officers, were killed in the Syrian warplanes’ air raids in Daraa.

Military sources said that the Syrian airstrikes on al-Nusra Front positions incurred heavy losses on the Takfiri terrorists.

In similar operations on Friday, over 100 militants of al-Nusra Front were killed by the Syrian fighter jets in Daraa.

The sources said that, over 100 terrorists, most of them from al-Nusra Front, were killed in a series of army airstrikes that targeted their gatherings in Dael town in the countryside of the southern Daraa city.

On Thursday, the Syrian army troops killed 46 terrorists in military operations in Aleppo city.

The terrorists were killed in al-Sayyed Ali area.

Meanwhile, the army killed terrorists of al-Nusra Front, and destroyed their arms at the Western neighborhood of Bosra al-Sham in the Eastern countryside of Daraa.

(Source / 29.08.2015)

Several Shot and Injured in West Bank Clashes

A number of Palestinians were shot and injured by Israeli soldiers, with both rubber-coated metal bullets and live ammunition, in clashes which broke out between Friday and Saturday, across the occupied West Bank. In Nablus, a Palestinian man was shot dead by an unknown assailant during a brawl at the Askar refugee camp.

West Bank oproer en traangas

Israeli forces shot four young Palestinian men with rubber-coated steel bullets and an elderly man suffered from tear gas inhalation during clashes early Saturday morning in the northern West Bank village of Tell, south of Nablus, Palestinian security sources told Ma’an News Agency.

Palestinian security sources said that several Israeli military vehicles stormed the village of Tell at 1 a.m. on Saturday morning before local youths responded to their presence and clashes broke out.

The security sources, as well as locals, said young Palestinian men threw stone and empty bottles at the the intruding soldiers, who then fired stun grenades, tear-gas canisters and rubber-coated steel bullets at the young men.

The sources said Israeli forces hit 19-year-old Amir Basil al-Hindi with a rubber-coated steel bullet in the head, Yahya Abdul-Karim, 21, in the hand, Anas Yousif Hamdi, 21, in the foot and Ahmad Abdul-Fattah Asidi, 21, in the thigh.

The source highlighted that several people suffered from tear-gas inhalation, including Adnan Khalid Ramadan, 65, who needed medical treatment because of the gas.

Israeli forces have injured 1,307 Palestinians in the occupied Palestinian Territory since the start of the year, with an average of 39 Palestinians injured every week, according to documentation by the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.

WAFA further reports that three Palestinians, including two children, were shot and injured with live ammunition, while many others suffocated during clashes that broke out with Israeli soldiers in the town of Silwad to the east of Ramallah late Friday night, according to local sources.

Sources said that Israeli army fired banned ‘Tutu’ and rubber-coated steel bullets, as well as tear gas canisters at the town’s locals, shooting three with live ammunition. They were transferred to hospital for medical treatment, where they are expected to undergo surgeries.

Six other locals were shot and injured with rubber-coated bullets, causing them light injuries. They were all treated at the scene.

The clashes also led to the suffocation of dozens others due to tear gas inhalation.

An increasing number of unarmed and peaceful Palestinians were either killed or seriously injured as a result of Israel’s constant use of tear gas against them.

In early December of 2014, a Palestinian minister without a portfolio, Zeyad Abu Ein, died due to tear gas inhalation and after being directly hit in the chest by an Israeli soldier during a peaceful protest marking the United Nations International Year of Solidarity with the Palestinian People. He was transferred to hospital where he was pronounced dead shortly afterwards.

On December 2011, Mustafa Tamimi, 28 from Ramallah’s village of Nabi Saleh, died from critical wounds he sustained when an Israeli soldier fired a tear gas canister directly at his head from a short distance.

B’Tselem, the Israeli human rights information center, stated that “[Israeli] soldiers and Border Police often fire tear-gas grenades directly at demonstrators with the aim of hitting them, or fire carelessly, without ensuring that demonstrators are not in the direct line of fire, in direct contravention of regulations.”

The legal center, in a summary report published in 2013, demanded that Israeli security forces “completely prohibit the firing of 40mm tear-gas canisters either directly at individuals or horizontally, in a way that could cause result in injuries.”

To be noted, Tutu bullets are banned under international law but occupation forces continue to use it.

According to media, Tutu bullets are classified by Israeli army as non-lethal weapon. However many Palestinians were killed due to being shot by Tutu bullets.

Near Nablus, in the northern West Bank, a Palestinian man was shot dead and six others were injured Saturday morning during a brawl, Palestinian officials told Ma’an.

Palestinian security sources said 37-year-old Samir al-Nadi was shot in the head during a brawl in Askar refugee camp east of Nablus. He was evacuated to Rafidia Hospital in the city where he was pronounced dead shortly after he arrived.

Six other men were moderately injured during the same brawl, and were taken to the hospital. Police said the main suspect in the shooting death had not yet been detained.

Separately, a Palestinian man was shot and injured on Saturday morning by an unidentified gunman in the village of Qusra, near Nablus.

Security sources said the victim was hit in the upper extremities and was evacuated to hospital. Medics said his injuries were moderate to serious.

Security sources said police arrested suspects in relation to the shooting without adding further detail.

Last month, 12 Palestinians were shot and injured during an armed clash between two families in the northern West Bank village of Rujeib, east of Nablus.

(Source / 29.08.2015)

Palestinians rally at Aqsa Mosque against Israeli violations

OCCUPIED JERUSALEM, (PIC)– Hundreds of Palestinians rallied following the Friday’s prayers in the courtyards of the Aqsa Mosque to protest the persistent Israeli violations against it.

Local sources said that the protestors chanted slogans in support of the Aqsa Mosque and others condemning the daily break-ins by Jewish settlers and troops at the Mosque and urging the Muslim nation to defend it.

During the rally, director of the Aqsa Mosque Omar al-Kaswani warned in a statement to Anadolu news agency of the gravity of the Israeli restrictions on the entry of Palestinian women to the Aqsa Mosque and the repeated police attacks on the Mosque’s employees and guards.

Kaswani appealed to the Muslim nation to give the occupied city of Jerusalem priority in this critical stage of its history.

(Source / 29.08.2015)