Article asked on this date

You have found the article

Dagelijks archief 6 juni 2015

Israeli Official: Government “Out of ways to combat BDS”

Israeli officials, last week, launched a war against the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement, which has been gaining ground in recent weeks.

Demo

According to the PNN, Hebrew, international and Palestinian media sources have, this past week, been documenting Israel’s concern over growing support for the BDS movement after a series of unions, groups and companies declared their affiliation to the international boycott of Israel.

Israel’s Channel Ten reported that the decision of Orange company, to end its brand licensing deal with the Israeli firm Partner Communication and quit its operations in the country, has ignited a storm of BDS victories. Success stories kicked off this week with Britain’s National Union of Students’ (NUS) successful vote to affiliate themselves with BDS. NUS on Tuesday passed the motion by a vote of 19-14, with one abstention, to boycott Israel and align with the BDS movement, reported the Jerusalem Post.

BDS calls for an international boycott of Israel based on its policies in the West Bank, Gaza and Jerusalem. The movement has been gaining ground in recent times, most recently convincing the UK company Boots to stop selling illegally-taken Dead Sea mud.

Channel Ten explained that Israel has already begun to feel the effects of the potential damage to the Israeli economy, and an Israeli official warned that the government had run out of ways to combat the BDS threat.

Israeli prime minister Benyamin Netanyahu held a conference in Las Vegas on Friday evening in which he warned participants of the BDS threat to Israel, saying that “we have to fight the delegitimization of Israel. This is a war on our right to live as free people, our right to defend ourselves and our right to determine our future. There is no future for the Jewish people without a Jewish state.”

(Source / 06.06.2015)

60 PALESTINIAN FISHERMEN ARRESTED BY ISRAEL SINCE TRUCE

Israeli Occupation Navy targets Palestinian fishermen

The Israeli occupation forces arrested 60 Palestinian fishermen and seized or destroyed 30 fishing boats since the announcement of the ceasefire deal on August 26, the Palestinian General Federation of Trade Unions in Gaza said Thursday.

The general director of the union Sami al-Asami said in a statement that the Israeli occupation seized 77 boats over the last four years, returned 14 of them and destroyed five.

The Palestinian fisherman Tawfiq Said Abu Riyala was also murdered by the Israeli forces while he was working last March.

He added that among the 60 arrested fishermen three remain in Israeli custody on allegations of possessing fiberglass.

Al-Asami urged the human rights institutions to take a tougher line against Israeli attacks on Palestinian fishermen and farmers in the blockaded Gaza Strip and to urge the Israeli occupation to cease its flagrant violations of the ceasefire accord.

An Egyptian-brokered truce deal was struck between Palestinian resistance factions and the Israeli occupation in the wake of last summer’s Israeli offensive on the besieged coastal enclave. The aggression took away the lives of some 2,300 Palestinians, mostly women and children.

(Source / 06.06.2015)

Jordan, Palestine plan logistics zone to facilitate trade

Amman, June 7 (IANS) Jordan and Palestine plan to establish a logistics zone to facilitate bilateral trade, Jordan’s Minister of Industry and Trade Maha Ali has said.

At the opening of the 2nd Silk Road Conference, held by the Palestinian Businessmen Forum, the minister said Jordan and Palestine are working on implementing several projects to enhance mutual trade, Xinhua news agency reported.

She added that a meeting for the Palestinian-Jordanian Higher Committee will be held soon to discuss these projects.

The minister highlighted several business opportunities in Jordan during the forum, which attracted more than 400 businesspersons from more than 15 Arab and non-Arab countries.

She added that the fields for cooperation between Jordan and Palestine include agriculture, industry and many other fields.

On Saturday, Palestinian Prime Minister Rami Hamdallah met with Jordanian Prime Minister Abdullah Ensour, where he stressed the need for removing all obstacles and facilitating bilateral trade exchange and boosting partnerships in the economic field.

(Source / 06.06.2015)

Israeli forces carry out limited incursion into Gaza

File photo of Israeli tanks moving towards the Gaza border from last Summer

File photo of Israeli tanks moving towards the Gaza border from last Summer

A number of Israeli tanks and military bulldozers penetrated into the eastern area of Gaza and bulldozed a number of farms, Quds Press reported on Saturday.

While the tanks were stationed behind sand barriers, the military bulldozers moved 100-metres deep inside the farms and razed large quantities of barley and wheat.

Reporters in Gaza confirm that this is the latest in a series of Israeli violations of the ceasefire agreement which ended last summer’s 51-day attack on the coastal enclave.

The offensive caused the death of about 2,260 Palestinians and wounded more than 11,000 others.

(Source / 06.06.2015)

PLO: 850,000 Palestinians detained in Israel since 1967

File photo of Palestinian detainees of Israeli soldiers

File photo of Palestinian detainees of Israeli soldiers

Abdul-Nasser Farawnah, director of the statistics department in the Palestinian Liberation Organisation’s Ministry for Detainees’ Affairs, released a statement on the 48th anniversary of the 1967 Arab-Israeli War, saying that the number of detainees in the last 48 years made up 20 percent of the nation living in the occupied territories.

“The occupation forces do not make a distinction between gender or age,” the statement said, adding that detention operations touched Palestinians of all classes, including labourers, academics and former ministers.

The Palestinian Liberation Organisation also stated that detainees experienced physical and psychological forms of torture.

“Since 1967, 206 Palestinians died after being detained, including 71 from torture, 54 of medical negligence, 74 of premeditated murder and seven from soldiers’ shots,” the organization said, adding that Israel had released many prisoners with poor health in order to avoid the responsibility of caring for them.

There were currently about 6,000 Palestinians detained, including 200 children and 25 women, in 22 Israeli prisons and interrogation centres, according to the statement.

At least 1,600 of the detained have complained of poor health and various diseases, the statement added.

Israel occupied the West Bank, Gaza Strip, Sinai and the Golan Heights during the Six-Day War, or Naksa (catastrophe) as known in Arabic, which started on June 5, 1967, when the Israeli air force launched a surprise attack against Egyptian air force positions in Sinai.

(Source / 06.06.2015)

Palestinian journalist tortured in PA jails

RAMALLAH, (PIC)– The Palestinian journalist Mohamed Awad, 27, said during his court hearing held Thursday that he was subjected to beating and electric shocks while being held in PA Jericho prison.

Awad said that during his interrogation that lasted for 31 days he was subjected to severe torture including beating, tying him to chair for long hours, electric shocks, and sleep deprivation.

Awad was brought to court on Thursday in very difficult health condition as he was unable to stand up during the hearing, PIC reporter said.

He also lost about 15 kg of his weight only within a month, he added.

His family appealed for seven times for his release on a bail especially that there is no charge against him, but it was in vain.

Awad’s detention has been extended for more 15 days pending investigation, the family said.

Before his arrest, Awad was preparing for his wedding planned to be held on June 10.

He had earlier spent nearly 10 months in Israeli jails, before being detained more than once by PA forces.

(Source / 06.06.2015)

Syrian Coalition: Iraq Funds Assad Allied Sectarian Militias

Vice-president Mustafa Osso denounces the fundraising campaign that was launched in some Iraqi provinces to raise capital for the sectarian militias that are fighting for the Assad regime. “The Iraqi government continues to blatantly intervene in Syria by sending sectarian militias to aid the Assad regime in his ongoing war on the Syrian people.”

“Haider al-Abadi government’s approval of the fundraiser campaign titled “Syria and Iraq are One Front” and which aims to collect $10 million USD is morally unacceptable and detrimental to the relationship the two brotherly peoples in Syria and Iraq,” Osso said.
Osso condemns statements made by Mohammed al-Zubaidi, leader of the Iraqi Fadila Party, who said that there are more than 9,000 Iraqi fighters in Syria fighting alongside the Assad regime, which Zubaidi described as “a legitimate regime that we have to support.”

It is worth noting that Iraqi clergymen and various sectarian parties have launched many campaigns to collect funds in favor of the Iraqi militias that are fighting alongside the Assad regime in Syria, most prominent of which is the extremist Abu Fadl al Abbas Brigade.

(Source: Syrian Coalition / 06.06.2015)

Israel ‘minimising Palestinian presence’ in Jerusalem

The increase in forced evictions is part of Israeli policy to push Palestinians out of Jerusalem, rights groups say.

‘We do not expect justice from any Israeli court, but we are hoping for the best,’ said Rifaat Sub Laban

Jerusalem Raafat Sub Laban, 27, is a legal researcher who was born and raised in the Muslim Quarter of Jerusalem’s historical Old City. Although his grandparents moved into their home more than six decades ago and passed it on to his mother, the Sub Laban family is now facing an eviction order to make way for Israeli settlers.

Standing outside an Israeli court in East Jerusalem, Raafat explained that his family “has nowhere else to go”, adding that his parents, siblings and their children all live in the house. “There are nine of us, including two children aged three and nine years old,” Raafat told Al Jazeera. “Where are we supposed to go? This is our home.”

In 1953, the Sub Laban family rented the home from the Jordanian government, which controlled East Jerusalem and the rest of the West Bank until Israel occupied those territories during the 1967 war.

Through the Israeli government’s Custodian General of Absentee Property, a body that manages homes and lands confiscated by Israel, the family was informed that ownership of the homes was transferred to Israeli settlers who later claimed it had been registered as hekdesh, or Jewish religious property, prior to 1948.

Raafat and his family suspect that Ateret Cohanim, a right-wing nonprofit organisation that seeks to replace Palestinian residents of the city with Jewish-Israeli settlers, is involved in the efforts to take over their home. Daniel Lurie, executive director of Ateret Cohanim, denied the organisation’s involvement. “Ateret Cohanim has no connection to the case in question,” Lurie told Al Jazeera by email.

More than 300,000 Palestinians live in occupied East Jerusalem. Israel claims to have annexed the territory

Increased numbers of arrests and forced evictions prove that the [Israeli] government remains committed to minimising the city’s indigenous Palestinian population and expanding illegal Israeli presence.

Rima Awad, a member of the Jerusalemites Campaign

in 1980, but that move is not recognised by the international community. More than half a million Israelis live in Jewish-only colonies scattered across the West Bank, including East Jerusalem.

Rights groups say the uptick in forced evictions, arrests, and home demolitions is part of a broader web of Israeli policies designed to push Palestinians out of Jerusalem.

“Increased numbers of arrests and forced evictions prove that the [Israeli] government remains committed to minimising the city’s indigenous Palestinian population and expanding illegal Israeli presence,” Rima Awad, a member of the Jerusalemites Campaign, a group that advocates for Palestinian rights in the city, told Al Jazeera.

The Sub Laban family was secure in their home until last year, when an Israeli court stripped them of their status as protected tenants on the grounds that they hadn’t been consistently living in the home and had allegedly neglected it.

The settlers have also argued for the Sub Lubans’ eviction by evoking an Israeli law permitting Jews to make claim to Palestinian property that was registered under Jewish ownership before Israel’s establishment. Passed in 1970 and deemed the East Jerusalem Law, it allows owners to evict residents who have not consistently lived on the premises or paid rent.

Settlers have knocked on their door twice this year and tried to take over the property, first in February and again in March. “The first time activists and friends blocked them from entering the home,” Raafat recalled. “The second time our lawyer was able to obtain a temporary injunction to prevent the evacuation from taking place.”

“Our home is just one of 15 in East Jerusalem presently facing evacuation for Jewish settlers to move in,” Raafat added. Israeli authorities also regularly demolish Palestinian homes across East Jerusalem and the rest of the West Bank.

Noura Sub Laban, Raafat’s mother, appealed the eviction order in an Israeli court on May 31. Standing in front of the judges, her lawyer, Mohammed Dahleh, argued on her behalf. “The core evidence purporting that [Sub Laban family] wasn’t living in the house is weak,” he said, pointing out that the family has paid the house’s telephone, electricity and water bills consistently. “The court should reverse its decision to allow the evacuation.”

The following day, on June 1, the Sub Laban family received a letter from Israel’s national insurance agency informing them that they have not been considered full-time residents of Jerusalem since August 2013.
Because Palestinian Jerusalemites hold Israeli-issued residency permits to live in the city, they faced expulsion to the West Bank or elsewhere if their residency permits are revoked.
Since Israel’s occupation of East Jerusalem began in 1967, it has revoked the residency of more than 14,000 Palestinian residents, 107 of which were rescinded in 2014 alone, according to the Israeli rights group HaMoked.

Along with Elad, another Israeli settler group, Ateret Cohanim filed a lawsuit earlier this month demanding the eviction of another Palestinian family in the Silwan neighbourhood of East Jerusalem. Those groups claim the Rajabi family is living in a building that was purchased by a Jewish religious trust 134 years ago.

Although he declined to comment on the pending eviction of the Rajabi family, Ateret Cohanim’s Daniel Luria

Al Jazeera World – Jerusalem: Hitting Home

said: “Any Jew, as an integral part of the only indigenous people of this Land, have the right to purchase, and live in peace anywhere, in his ancestral homeland, especially in the heart of Israel – Jerusalem.”

Back in October 2014, Ateret Cohanim assisted nine Jewish settler families to take over two buildings in Silwan. With the protection of security guards provided by Elad, the settlers forcibly took over the buildings and thereby doubled the settler population in the neighbourhood, accordingto Israeli media reports.

On May 21, Israeli bulldozers entered Silwan and razed three Palestinian-owned commercial buildings and a home before sunrise, under the pretext that they were constructed without permits from the Israeli municipality in Jerusalem. Less than a week later, another Palestinian apartment complex was demolished in Silwan.

According to a statement subsequently released by the Wadi Hilweh Information Center-Silwan, some 80 families totalling 300 individuals are currently at risk of eviction in the neighbourhood.

“Silwan is a microcosm of growing trends visible throughout East Jerusalem,” said Awad of the Jerusalemites Campaign, alluding to the ostensible increase in home demolitions and cases of settlers forcibly taking over property.

Back in the Jerusalem court, Raafat Sub Laban says his family is not optimistic about the future. “Of course, we do not expect justice from any Israeli court,” he remarked, “but we are hoping for the best.”

(Source / 06.06.2015)

EXCLUSIVE: Israeli authorities plan to seize Palestinian hospital in Hebron, West Bank

Image

West Bank

Israeli Occupation Forces (IOF) Saturday morning intercepted and broke up a march heading to al-Bareka hospital north of Hebron.

The IOF intercepted the peaceful march which was launched this morning towards al-Bareka hospital in the north Hebron area.

Occupation authorities announced the seizure of “Beit al-Baraka” hospital located next to the Jerusalem-Hebron settler road (route 60), as well as the seizure of land- around 40 dunums- and 8 buildings within that area.

Occupation authorities had prevented Palestinian Authorities from gaining this knowledge, but details were leaked.

(Source / 06.06.2015)

Israeli troops wound 2 Palestinians in Jerusalem

UN: Israeli occupation wounded 64 Palestinians in last week of May

Israeli occupation forces opened fire on Friday evening at Palestinians citizens, injuring two in Jerusalem two of Abu-Dis.

In 2014, OCHA documented 16,446 Palestinians injured by Israeli forces, around 2/3 of whom were injured during last summer’s Israeli offensive on the Gaza Strip, the others in the West Bank

Days of Palestine, Jerusalem –Israeli occupation forces opened fire on Friday evening at Palestinians citizens, injuring two in Jerusalem two of Abu-Dis.

The Israeli occupation forces opened fire at Palestinian unarmed protesters in Abu-Dis, Eat of occupied Jerusalem.

Witnesses said that the Israeli occupation forces fired tear gas canisters, stun grenades and metal-coated with rubber bullets at the protesters.

Palestinian Red Crescent sources said that the Palestinians were wounded by Israeli metal-coated with rubber bullets.

One of the wounded, the Red Crescent said, was hit in the head and his wound was described as moderate, while the other was hit in his waist and suffered light wounds.

In response to the Israeli aggression, the Palestinian protesters threw stones at the Israeli occupation forces.

Friday’s clashes come amid reports by rights groups reporting disproportionate and unnecessary force used by Israeli occupation forces against unarmed Palestinians.

The UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) reported 64 Palestinians injured by Israeli forces in the West Bank during the last week of May, including nine children.

In 2014, OCHA documented 16,446 Palestinians injured by Israeli forces, around two-thirds of whom were injured during last summer’s Israeli offensive on the Gaza Strip, the remaining third taking place in the West Bank.

(Source / 06.06.2015)