‘US expects Karzai to kill Afghans’

The United States expects the Afghan government to kill Afghan citizens, says Rick Rozoff, the manager of the organization Stop NATO International.

“Hamid Karzai regime in Kabul, which is everyone knows a proxy regime for the West more than anything else, is now evidently expected to do the dirty work that is to kill their fellow citizens,” Rozoff told Press TV’s US Desk on Tuesday.

He also said that “Afghan soldiers (are) acting really as proxies for the West. Certainly they are not a national army representing the people of Afghanistan.”

He went on to say that “the United States and its Western allies have an ..intention of leading Afghanistan entirely.”

In a pair of recent bombing attacks in Afghanistan, scores of civilians, including a number of bystanders, were killed in Zabul and Kandahar and dozens were injured in smaller attacks.

At least 14 people were killed during one overnight bombing and an early morning explosion Monday, according to officials.

During the Monday morning bombing in Kandahar province’s Spin Boldak district, a mother and her two children were killed.

The attacks came amid the Afghan government’s announcement that the country’s security forces are prepared for the presidential election set for next April.

(Source / 30.07.2013)

Hamas accuses rivals of malicious campaign

Palestinian group Hamas says it has documents proving rivals plotting to discredit it with Egyptian authorities.

 http://aje.me/17RmohC
A Hamas official says elements within the interim Egyptian government colluded with their opponents to demonise them.

Salah, al-Bardaweel, a member of Hamas, said during a press conference on Tuesday that political rivals Fatah, as well as members of the Palestinian Authority, the governing body in the occupied West Bank, pushed forward a malicious agenda to tarnish Hamas.

He also denied any involvement with the current unrest in Egypt.

‘Damning evidence’

“I’m going to tell you about documents and damning evidence, pointing to interference in the Palestinian issue, and into relations between Palestine and Egypt,” he said.

“These documents urge hatred, not only against Gaza or Hamas, but against the Palestinian people.”

 http://bcove.me/iq7xz0o2
Al Jazeera talks to member of Fatah’s Revolutionary Council

 

Abdullah Abdullah, a member of Fatah based in Ramallah in the occupied West Bank, told Al Jazeera that “it is unfortunate that Hamas sinks to that level, and forges documents”.

“Fatah is in defence of every Palestinian, including Hamas numbers, so its really a pity that Hamas sinks to that level. In a case where they find themselves exposed, they try to put the blame on somebody else.”

Since the ouster of Egyptian president Mohamed Morsi on 3rd July through a popular military coup, the interim government and Egyptian media holds Hamas responsible for a prison break during the January 2011 revolution, also accusing the deposed president of spying for the group.

Egypt’s military has also blamed members of Hamas of involvement in stoking tensions in the Sinai peninsula.

Morsi is detained pending investigations, including spying for Hamas to attack police institutions and break into Egyptian prisons during the revolution, as well assisting Hamas in kidnapping officers and soldiers.

(Source / 30.07.2013)

Gazan in Israeli custody was abducted in Egypt, Palestinians say

Palestinian Wael Abu Rida (C) sits next to Israeli prison guards before his indictment at the district court in the southern Israeli city of Beersheba July 19, 2013. REUTERS/Amir Cohen

(Reuters) – The Palestinian Authority in the West Bank released a report on Tuesday quoting a Palestinian held by Israel as saying he had been snatched while visiting Egypt’s Sinai region last month.

The report by the Palestinian Ministry of Prisoners could embarrass Israeland the Egyptian government, which is struggling to impose order in the lawless Sinai desert.

The report said that Wael Abu Rida, who comes from the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip, told his lawyer while in Israeli custody that he had been inEgypt seeking medical treatment for his son in June when he received a call summoning him to Rafah, a town straddling the Egypt-Gaza border about 7 km (4 miles) from Israeli territory.

The former Palestinian policeman departed for the rendezvous and disappeared, ending up in Israel, according to the report.

Israel indicted Abu Rida on July 19 for attacks on Israeli citizens on behalf of Islamic Jihad and other Gaza-based armed factions.

The Palestinian report quotes Abu Rida, 35, as saying a driver on the Sinai side of Rafah “set him up,” citing as its source Karim Ajwa, a Palestinian lawyer it said visited him in his Israeli jail.

Ajwa could not immediately be reached for comment. Israel’s Prisons Authority would not confirm that Abu Rida had met the lawyer while in Israeli custody.

Abu Rida described going to the driver’s house in Sinai, where other men were present, and drinking a glass of juice that had apparently been laced with sedative, the report said.

He then lost consciousness and woke up in an Israeli interrogation facility.

“He was kidnapped from Sinai,” said the report, without naming the Sinai residents it alleged were involved.

Egyptian officials had no immediate comment.

Mohammed Jabarin, an Israeli lawyer representing Abu Rida, declined to discuss the circumstances that led to his client’s incarceration, citing a court-issued gag order.

Jabarin has denied the charges against Abu Rida, saying they were based on false confessions to his interrogators.

Locked in a struggle with Hamas, Islamic Jihad and other factions in the Gaza Strip, the Israelis have struck both there and abroad against targets suspected of being part of weapons supply lines to the Palestinian enclave.

Dubai accused Israeli spies of killing a Hamas arms procurer in the Gulf emirate in 2010. The next year, a Gazan engineer was abducted while visiting Ukraine and is now being prosecuted in Israel as a Hamas rocket expert – charges he has denied.

Any such actions in Egypt would be especially touchy, given widespread Egyptian resentment of Israel, although the two countries coordinate closely on security in the Sinai.

Under the Israeli-Egyptian peace treaty of 1979, the desert peninsula is mostly demilitarized. Its spreading disarray, in parallel with political crises in Cairo, has allowed Islamist militants to take root and facilitated arms smuggling to Gaza.

Islamic Jihad has denied any link to Abu Rida and has accused the Israelis of secretly abducting him in Sinai – a charge also made by Hamas, though neither has provided evidence.

(Source / 30.07.2013)

DESPITE REGIME GAINS IN HOMS, THE OPPOSITION IS DOING WELL IN OTHER AREAS AND OPTIMISM REMAINS

By Peter Clifford        ©      (http://www.petercliffordonline.com/syria-news-2)

http://www.petercliffordonline.com/syria-news

Although some clashes continue on both the northern and southern edges of the Khalidiyeh district of Homs, at least 90% of it is in the hands of the Assad regime following the use of massively destructive artillery and air power.

http://www.petercliffordonline.com/syria-news

Faced with an overwhelming barrage of firepower, Opposition fighters withdrew Sunday and Monday to the 7 remaining districts around the Old City which they still control.

Frankly there is nothing left to “control” in Khalidiyeh and activists said there was barely a building left in the district that was still habitable.

This video, posted yesterday, gives an idea of the destruction rained down on Khalidiyeh in its dying days (EDITOR: When this war finally does end, I just wonder where are the Sunni population of the cities going to live?  It is hardly likely the Alawites will welcome them back with “open arms”), HERE:

The Assad regime also captured the important Khalid Bin Walid Mosque, but not before heavily damaging it, HERE:

http://www.petercliffordonline.com/syria-news

Despite this setback for the Opposition, the battle to defend other districts in Homs, though not easy and with stretched supply lines, continues, HERE:

Russian built Yak-130 warplanes are now  reported to be shelling the Opposition held Bab Hood district with its roofed market and the Jouret Shiah  neighborhood.

Latest reports also say that 3 mortar rounds hit the district of Dablan late on Monday night, killing as many as 11, including a child.

A report from near Rastan says that an Assad regime MIG managed to bomb its own troops from the Engineering Battalion.

While the international media keeps saying “Assad is making gains”, please bear in mind the following, courtesy of @Markito0171 – the losses to the Assad Government since the start of Ramadan on July 10th, less than 3 weeks ago:

  • 90+ tanks & armoured personnel carriers
  • 3 MIG aircraft
  • 5 helicopters
  • – 1000 killed regime-forces & mercenaries (Unconfirmed)
  • – 300 captured regime-forces & mercenaries (Unconfirmed)
  • 15 high rank officers killed
  • The freeing of more than 7 towns and villages by Opposition fighters
  • The destruction of more than 18 barriers and checkpoints
  • The first bombing of the barrier at the People’s Palace in Damascus
  • The cutting off of supply lines to the Syrian Army in Idlib, Homs and Aleppo
  • And weapons and ammunition have been seized by the Opposition in very large quantities

Such is the nature of war. Sometimes you win battles, sometimes you lose them.  But nothing is irreversible, and as they discovered in Libya when you support with your heart, mind and soul an idea whose time has come, then you will prevail against the odds.

Dictators ultimately cannot compete with that, as history shows, because their whole raison d’etre is based on cruelty, domination, power and corruption – and doomed to failure in the long run.

OPPOSITION FIGHTERS PUSH ON TO GAIN NEW STRATEGIC GROUND IN WESTERN ALEPPO:

In contrast to Homs, the Opposition continue to make gains in Aleppo, yesterday making inroads into the strategically important western neighbourhood of Dhahret Abd Rabbo in the Al-Lrmon district, the first pictures, HERE:

http://www.petercliffordonline.com/syria-news

14 Syrian soldiers were reported killed in the battles and a Government tank was destroyed with a missile.

Video has emerged of Assad troops surrendering, probably at Khan Assal, where there were reports of Jihadists executing 50 men and officers.

The Opposition Syrian National Council has condemned such extra-judicial killings and ordered a commission of inquiry, saying that if proven they would “take action against the perpetrators”.

Opposition fighters also blew up a Government fuel truck in Aleppo province on the road to Safira, HERE:

FOR THE FIRST TIME FSA BRINGS DOWN AN ASSAD AIRCRAFT USING SOPHISTICATED RADAR TECHNOLOGY:

In Eastern Ghouta near Damascus, the Opposition, for the first time using sophisticated technology, yesterday brought down an Assad helicopter, with a Cobra type radar guided missile.

http://www.petercliffordonline.com/syria-news

The equipment used is believed to be a Russian built OSA 9K33 (Osa meaning Wasp in Russian), a highly mobile, low-altitude, short-range tactical surface-to-air missile system which the Opposition captured 2 months ago, HERE:

Impressive video footage of the actual “radar kill” has been released this morning, HERE:

The helicopter, all of who’s crew were killed in the strike, was on its way to attack Opposition fighters who were emptying a flour mill of its contents after a 2 day battle with regime forces, HERE:

The Opposition fighters themselves attacked the troops stationed at the mill, which is not far from Damascus International Airport, with a multiple rocket launcher, HERE:

However, in the event, 12 Opposition fighters were reported killed in a subsequent regime aircraft strike on the mill as they were still in the process of removing bags of flour.

Elsewhere in the Damascus area, heavy fighting and air strikes are reported in the Sunni suburbs of Qaboun and Barzeh and this morning, Tuesday, fierce clashes are said to be taking place in the very heart of Damascus around Abbasid Square.

In Raqqah province, the extreme Islamist group known as the Islamic State of Iraq and Levant (ISIS), is still causing problems, detaining a Jesuit priest, Father Paolo Dall’Oglio, who as expelled from Syria last year by the Assad Government for aiding Opposition supporters.

Opposition fighters also captured a number of Syrian Army soldiers who were attempting to escape from the Opposition besieged Base 17 to the north of Raqqah city.

In Deraa province, Opposition fighters managed to capture and get inside the weapons store of the regime’s Transport Battalion in the city of  Busser Al Harir, HERE: 

But in Quneitra province, the Syrian Army is reported to have stormed the Opposition held village of Masharah, looting and burning houses after the attack.

http://www.petercliffordonlie.com/syria-news

In Hassakah province in the Kurdish north-east, sporadic clashes are still being reported between the Jihadist group ISIS and the Kurds who effectively drove most of them out of the province.

A mortar attack by ISIS on a house just south of Ras Al-Ain near the Turkish border, killed a 11 year old girl yesterday and either killed or severely injured her 10 year old sister.

A bomb placed in the training room of a Kurdish community centre in Hasakah city also exploded, though no casualties were reported.

In Idlib province, Opposition fighters are reported to have bombed Syrian Army positions at the School of Agriculture near  Jisr al Shoughour, HERE:   and to have attacked a Government convoy on the main highway near Ariha, HERE:

Ongoing clashes are also said to continuing around the northern checkpoints of Idlib city, with the Assad side being forced to withdraw from a position at UrumAl-Joz.

Finally, one activist has put up a video of Opposition fighters using the latest “advanced weapons” delivered from the West against regime forces in the Damascus district of Babbila. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=8O9sPM2NHvo