Thousands of Kuwaitis have stormed parliamentary buildings after police and elite forces beat protesters.
The protesters marched earlier on Wednesday to Prime Minister Sheikh Nasser Mohammad al-Ahmad Al-Sabah’s home to demand his resignation, an opposition MP said.
“Now, we have entered the house of the people,” said Mussallam al-Barrak, who led the protest along with several other politicians and youth activists also calling for the dissolution of parliament over alleged corruption.
The demonstrators broke open the parliament’s gates and entered the main chamber, where they sang the national anthem and left after a few minutes.
The police had used batons to prevent protesters from marching to the residence of the prime minister, a senior member of the ruling family, after staging a rally outside parliament.
Witnesses said at least five demonstrators were injured and treated on the site.
Some activists said they will continue to camp outside parliament until the Al-Sabah is sacked.
Calls to resign
The opposition has been leading a campaign to oust the premier, whom they accuse of failing to run the wealthy nation and fight corruption, which has become wide-spread.
Earlier on Wednesday, about 20 opposition lawmakers boycotted a parliamentary session, a day after the government and its supporters succeeded in rejecting a bid by the opposition to quiz the premier over allegations of corruption.
After the rejection, three opposition MPs filed a fresh request to question Sheikh Nasser over allegations of graft involving MPs and illegal overseas money transfers.
The premier, 71, has been a target of opposition criticism since he was appointed to the job in February 2006, forcing him to resign six times.
Parliament has also been dissolved three times in the same period.
(www.aljazeera.com / 16.11.2011)