Important announcement!

As part of our campaign to break out the silence, we at gybo decided to work on arranging a mass freedom march from all over the world to end the siege over gaza. We will be working day and night with peace and solidarity movements worldwide to set a date within the next few days. Our idea has gained …a lot of su…pport in such a short period of time. In the meantime we would like to ask for all those interested in participating to send us an email to Freegazayouth@hotmail.com to rally more support for our cause.
Thank you for your efforts to get the word out,
GYBO team

(Facebook / 26.04.2011)

Verhofstadt wil Syrische president voor Internationaal Gerechtshof brengen

Guy Verhofstadt (Open VLD) wil dat de Syrische president Bashar al-Assad voor het Internationaal Gerechtshof verschijnt. Dat zegt de fractieleider van de Europese liberalen dinsdag in een persbericht. De Europese leden van de Veiligheidsraad moeten volgens hem zo snel mogelijk een resolutie opstellen om het onderzoek te kunnen opstarten.

Verhofstadt, de fractieleider van de liberalen in het Europees Parlement, wil dat de resolutie er snel komt. Er vielen volgens de ex-premier al genoeg doden, en nu het Syrische leger de stad Deraa is binnengedrongen, ‘is het tijd voor actie’.

De Europese leden van de VN-Veiligheidsraad moeten volgens Verhofstadt in een resolutie de acties van al-Assad veroordelen en ze moeten de onderzoeken starten om de president voor het gerecht te brengen. Hij wil ook dat de resolutie ervoor zorgt dat de tegoeden van president Assad en zijn familie bevroren worden en dat ze niet langer als vertegenwoordigers van het Syrische volk worden erkend.

‘Kan er in de VN-Veiligheidsraad geen consensus gevonden worden, dan moet de Europese Unie alleen met deze initiatieven komen”, stelt Verhofstadt. “Voor hij nieuwe misdaden begaat, moet Assad weten dat de internationale gemeenschap hem verantwoordelijk zal houden voor elke Syriër die hij ombrengt.’

(www.nieuwsblad.be / 26.04.2011)

Turkey urges Israel to allow Gaza aid ship

Turkey’s foreign minister warned Israel on Tuesday not to interfere with plans to send a flotilla to visit Gaza.

Activists are planning to send a flotilla in the weeks ahead, a year after Israeli commandos attacked and killed nine people on board ships attempting to penetrate the blockade of Gaza.

Ahmet Davutoglu urged Israel “not to repeat the same mistake. It is Israel’s responsibility not to implement [a blockade] against Gaza. A fact-finding mission of the UN declared that this … is illegal.

”In the flotilla last year, people were killed 72 miles from the coast, so this was in international waters. The Mediterranean does not belong to any nation,” Davutoglu told the Sydney Morning Herald.

The Turkish government had urged them not to sail last year but ”in a democratic society, we cannot stop them’,” he said. ”We can advise, we can say something, but we cannot stop” the flotilla, he said.

(www.maannews.net / 26.04.2011)

Dag van de Oemma

Tijd
zondag 1 mei · 13:30 – 18:00

Locatie
Hasselt

Gemaakt door:

Salaam ‘alaykoem lieve zuster,

We heten u van harte welkom op “Dag van de Oemma”.

Adres:
Zaal Rapertingen
Luikersteenweg 395
3500 Hasselt

De deuren zijn open vanaf 13u30….

Programma:
– Film “Project Oemma”
– Koranwedstrijd
– Toneel
– Anasheed
– en nog veel meer…

Hapjes & drank verkrijgbaar

Inkom: € 9

Voorverkoop: € 5 (vrouwen), € 3 (kinderen 5 tot 12j)

*Voorverkoopkaartjes te verkrijgen bij een zuster te Hasselt: 0488/438130
OF
*Online te verkrijgen: contact@oemma.be

Doe niet mee aan Gazavloot

Minister Uri Rosenthal van Buitenlandse Zaken roept Nederlandse organisaties op niet deel te nemen aan een internationale vloot met hulpgoederen naar de Gazastrook.

Volgens het kabinet levert deze actie ”allerminst een bijdrage aan een oplossing van het Israëlisch-Palestijns conflict”, zo schreef de bewindsman dinsdag in een brief aan de Tweede Kamer.

De regering kan Nederlandse schepen en opvarenden echter niet verhinderen uit te varen, constateert hij.

Vanuit Griekenland vertrekken half mei ongeveer vijftien schepen, waaronder mogelijk een Nederlands schip, met humanitaire goederen en zo’n duizend opvarenden naar Gaza. De vloot moet daar eind mei aankomen.

Dat is een jaar nadat de Israëlische marine de vorige vloot tegenhield op de Middellandse Zee. Bij die operatie kwamen negen opvarenden, allen Turken, om het leven.

Blokkade

Volgens de initiatiefnemers is de vloot bedoeld om de ”illegale blokkade van de Gazastrook te doorbreken en hulpgoederen af te leveren”.

Bij de Nederlandse delegatie, die geld inzamelt voor een eigen Nederlandse boot, zijn onder meer Stop de Bezetting, Stichting Palestina, het Nederlandse Palestina Komité en Een Ander Joods Geluid betrokken.

Geen subsidie

Geen van deze en andere Nederlandse ondersteunende organisaties krijgen volgens Rosenthal overheidssubsidie. Hij heeft dat laten uitzoeken op verzoek van de ChristenUnie. Tweede Kamerlid Joël Voordewind van die fractie noemde het initiatief eerder al een ”nodeloze provocatie aan het adres van Israël”.

Rosenthal wijst erop dat hulpverlening aan Gaza het meeste effect heeft als dat wordt geleverd via de reguliere grensovergangen tussen Israël en Gaza. Nederland dringt er al jaren op aan die verder open te stellen.

De Tweede Kamer houdt donderdagochtend een spoeddebat met Rosenthal over de Gazavloot.

(www.nu.nl / 26.04.2011)

13-year old boy among five Palestinians injured by Israeli settlers on Sunday

Several groups of Israeli settlers attacked Palestinian with rocks on Sunday, mainly in the Nablus area in the northern West Bank. At least five were wounded, including a 13-year old boy who was hit in the head with a rock, and taken to Rafidiya Government Hospital in Nablus. Settlers also torched one car, and broke the windshield of another.

Israeli settlers throw stones in Nablus area villages in February (image from occupiedpalestine blog)
Israeli settlers throw stones in Nablus area villages in February (image from occupiedpalestine blog)

According to local eyewitnesses, Israeli settlers gathered on hilltops near Beit Furik, Urif and Madama villages on Sunday afternoon, and began throwing rocks at Palestinian villagers in the area. One group of settlers attacked Palestinian drivers on a road near Huwwara, south of Nablus, setting fire to a taxi belonging to Murad Mustafa Al-Yatem, and breaking the windshield of a car carrying three passengers – two of whom were injured in the attack.

The incidents of attacks against Palestinian residents escalated Sunday afternoon, after an Israeli settler was killed near ‘Joseph’s Tomb’ in Nablus Sunday morning – allegedly by Palestinian security forces.

The Palestinian Authority has established an investigation of that incident.

Settler attacks against Palestinians in the northern West Bank have increased significantly in the last six weeks, after the murder of an Israeli settler family in their beds in Itamar. Israeli authorities claim to have extracted confessions for the murders from two Palestinian teenagers, but their families have denied the boys’ involvement in the murder. One of the boys recently underwent surgery which prevents him from walking more than a few meters, and his parents said he was at home in bed recovering from his surgery at the time the murders took place.

(imemc.org / 26.04.2011)

Women struggle for unity in Bahrain

Sectarian tensions have torn at families and ended friendships, but one group of women are fighting for national unity.

One women’s group, which calls for an end to sectarian violence, has about 40 members, while other activists try to build unity through online campaigns [AFP]

Women in Bahrain have launched new initiatives to tackle sectarian tensions that emerged as fallout from  widespread unrest that has swept the country since February.

The tiny island with oil incomes representing around 70 per cent of government revenues was known for years for its peaceful coexistence between its majority Shia and minority Sunni populations.

The majority of those who participated in demonstrations before the declaration of the three-month state of emergency in March were Shia. Sunnis were mainly involved in pro-government rallies.

The result: long-time friends have turned enemies. Each sect has issued a list of shops that should be boycotted because Bahrainis of the opposite sect own them. Those lists are circulated through leaflets, email and e-forums.

‘Women for Bahrain’ is an initiative that is working to unite Bahrainis once again. “Through the group we are trying to tell people that religion is for god, and the country is for all of us, and how sectarianism could lead to serious complications,” says Fawziya Al Khaja an activist and media committee member.

The recently formed women’s group, with members coming from different walks of life, stands against powers in Bahrain who back sectarian tension to promote their own agendas, she says.

The group commenced its activities in March, calling for love and tolerance through Internet social networks. A unity petition was launched.

“The group’s activities wouldn’t have a timeframe and would continue as long as we are needed, we want from the people of Bahrain to respect and accept each other regardless of their differences and to share the love of their country,” Al Khaja says.

The group is also dedicated to spreading the principles of wisdom, justice and freedom to protect the dignity of people. “Through the group we are telling society and the world that the role of Bahraini women shouldn’t be overlooked, as without them the structure of family and community get affected,” she explains.

Internet social networks and Blackberry messenger are now a war zone for Shiite and Sunni youth who pass hate messages back and forth constantly. Those messages criticise the differences among two sects of the same religion, says Mariam Al Ruwaee, the president of the Bahrain Women’s Union.

“Mixed marriages felt the heat of tensions most, since people could shun sectarianism inside their homes, while we are confronting them insides our bedrooms,” says Fathiya Ibrahim, a Shia.

Talking about her relationship with her Sunni husband, she said: “We aren’t at ease as we share different opinions. It wasn’t like that before but situations have dragged us to this level.”

Sunni academic, Haisa Al Junaid who is married to a Shia, has so far attracted 40 women to stand together against what could threaten the stability of their families and the safety of their children – fights that turn violent at schools.

“We want to take legal actions, including filing court cases against well-known figures promoting sectarianism,” Haisa announced during a recent launch of the initiative at her home. “Through the group we want also to highlight that we are in pain from disunity in the community and disturbance of relations.”

(english.aljazeera.net / 26.04.2011)